1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Why does each actuator need its own com port?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Mavness, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Mavness

Mavness New Member

Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    While reading the SCN5 manual, it appears you can connect many of these to the ADP interface and then connect it to a serial to usb. I think you can get something obnoxious like 16 of them on one com port.

Is there a reason why this isnt done? You would just address them 0, 1, 2, etc and then the software would reference them all via one com port. I am just plotting out a 6 DOF flight sim and I dont like the options available to hook up 6 actuators to a computer. Im going to use 6 or 3 usb ports, seems just silly.

http://www.automation4less.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=TBVST-EN-SET <--piece of hardware I was referring to.

Thanks in advance! :)
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Hi, don't use scn5s so cannot comment on the com port question (although I use a powered hub and therefore have only one USB cable to the computer), but I am aware of there specifications, they are fast but can only lift light weight. I don't think they would be suitable for a standard 6DOF.
  3. Mavness

Mavness New Member

Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Good point, lets say SCN6, or anything like that. Question really is, looks like you can hook up many of these to a single com port and communicate with them based on their address
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I hook up my current five motor controllers to a powered hub, just one cable to the computer.
  5. Mavness

Mavness New Member

Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Yes I know USB Hub's exist, I'm asking why something is the way it is, not how to plug a lot of USB into a computer. But thanks for the response! :)
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    From the specifications that I have read, even a scn6 would be marginal for a 6DOF if you want any speed. One of the reasons that I am building my own.
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok, I though you were concerned about the wiring - over and out.
  8. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    By design Simtools has 6 interfaces that can control up to two motors each is why.

If you don’t like the options available then you don’t have to use it!

I’m not familiar with SCN5 or 6 but USB to serial adaptors are around $5 each on ebay. You can buy a hub if need for $10 or less. So $5 x 6 = $30 + $10 = $40. The device you suggest and linked to is $275 dollars. My point of view is it’s just silly to spend $275 when you can do the job for $40! But if you want to burn an extra $235 to tidy things up a bit, go for it. But you will need to find yourself a different motion software while you’re at it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. Mavness

Mavness New Member

Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    I think everyone is misunderstanding the reason for my question. Its just a question of a computer engineer. I read the manual of the actuator and it appears you can hook up many on one com port.

Its not that I dont like something and I need a different option, lol I just want to know if theres a technical limitation when it comes to motion software that is causing this to be how things work.
  10. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Like I said, "By design Simtools has 6 interfaces that can control up to two motors each is why." No technical limitations.
  11. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    To elaborate, to use multiple SCN’s on one interface would require you to set a unique ID on each SCN. Then the motion software would need to tell the control interface which ID to use with the corresponding motion data. Using single interfaces on each SCN allows each one to use the same ID with its corresponding motion data since the individual interfaces separate them from each other. That is technically why you need to use one interface on Simtools with each SCN used. Even though each interface can usually control two motors, you can’t put two SCN ID’s on one Simtools interface because there is currently not a way to set ID’s.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @nclabs , maybe you can help here?