1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Overheating issues - Just a noob mistake?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by fusednova, Jan 3, 2015.

1. fusednova

fusednova Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    769Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I finally got my rig built up over the holiday and while I haven't used it for gaming yet, everything seems to work and it can throw me around quite nicely using the JRK configuration tool or SimTools. But here is my problem:

During testing in the Simtools "Output testing", the wires from one of my JRKs to the motor gets quite hot. At one point, the motor starting clicking so I immediately powered down. The JRKs are cooled and I had no problems running the motors in the JRK configuration (for hours). But within just a few minutes in the SimTools output testing tab (with motors ON), I can feel the wires to the one motor warming up with only a couple of seconds of movement without a loaded platform . I have confirmed the wires do not get hot when using the JRK configuration tool even after the earlier issues today.

Relevant parts:
    2 x 200w 12V motors from motion dynamics with 2 x 50:1 gearboxes
    2 x JRK 12v12
    2 x HP DPS-600PB B PSUs (575 watts/ea)

Any ideas?

2015-01-03 17.44.11.jpg

2015-01-03 17.44.25.jpg
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    could be a motor problem.....
    Maybe PID and motor settings, can you post them up please?
    Is the motor frequency 5 or 20 khz
    are the jrks going into any errors or shutting down?
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Lovely fan on top but don't see any holes on the side to let the air flow. ?
    But over all look like your working the motors way to hard with the platform on top.
    There is no difference with using the utility and Simtools cant explain why wires are warming, only way that can happen if the motors are under a too heavy load or a motor contains a short inside, maybe one of the terminals are not isolated , etc.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes, good point Rob, you should loose the box or cut holes in it. Or even better, get for supports for the fan on each corner.
  5. fusednova

fusednova Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    769Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I "think" I figured out the problem and curious if my theory has any merit. In short, I think the rig is so out of balance by itself that the motors are struggling to keep it steady when I'm not in it. The rig is roughly 45kg with most of the weight forward of the pivot. I came to this conclusion after playing a few rounds of NoLimits Rollercoaster and the wires were only warm.

The reason it was not evident using the JRK tool is because the movement was much faster/deliberate. I actually made the problem worse in SimTools by lowering the power. The motor in question also has a loose pivot arm which swings away from the motor under load which exacerbates the problem. I just ordered a steel tube which will give a tight fit on the motor. With luck I'll be able to prove this theory right by the end of the week.

It's not evident in the picture but the fan housing does have large cut outs on the sides and front. A picture is worth a thousand words unless you take it from the wrong angle ;)

Side note: I had my first real motion experience on the rig today playing with the Oculus Rift and NoLimits Rollercoaster. WOW!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @fusednova, you're absolutely right about the motion in No Limits with the Rift. Small movements feel to be much greater. Although you don't have the weight of a monitor on your rig, it has to be balanced well with you sitting in it, to reduce the strain on the electrical system - motors, jrks, psu. Reducing the workload as much as possible will help, but good cooling by judicious positioning of fans is essential. Experimentation is the key. Good luck!

Mike :thumbs