1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Arduino Shields

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by monicamary, Sep 8, 2014.

1. monicamary

monicamary Member

Balance:
    299Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am going to use the arduino uno as my controller, however I am not sure which shield to use with the board. RacingMat's 2 DOF DIY simulator tutorial suggested the Monster Moto. My simulator is first going to be 2 DOF with plans to add a third DOF later. I am going to use 12V truck wiper motors. Thanks for your advice and input, it is greatly appreciated. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yoder_

Yoder_ New Member

IT Dude
    Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You've got two basic options as far as motor drivers(controllers) go. Those with built in feedback and PID, such as the Pololu JRK, and those without, like the Monster Moto or a Pololu 18v15.

They great thing about the JRK is the feedback/control is built in, so you can tune the PID settings with a nice provided GUI, and get predictable results. On the JRK, the potentiometer connects to the JRK, and it worries about getting the servo to position.

On simple motor drivers, you have to connect the potentiometer to the Arduino, and include PID code in your sketch that will ultimately drive the motor driver.

For me, I'm going with a non-JRK driver. I'm comfortable with all the code, and I've been playing with scale models using potentiometers, as well as incremental rotary encoders for positional feedback into the software PID, driving an H-bridge (motor driver) with some pretty basic code.

The TL;DR is those with feedback built-in simplify the design and implementation, but at a higher price point. Hope this helps.
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,887Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Martin van Hagen

Martin van Hagen not trying brings you nothing! SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Instrument Engineer
    Balance:
    881Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @monicamary I agree with RacingMat if you are going for the Arduino set up. Looking at the total cost of investment you would spend €18,00 for the drives, €25,00 for the Arduino and some loose change for heat sinks on both of them. If you de-solder the capacitors and solder them back on the underside of the printed circuit board (pay attention to the polarity of the capacitor), you would be able to install a heat sink to keep it all well in the cosy range of the chip to improve the durability. Looking at the capacity of the Olimex I can not imagine the truck wiper motors will exceed the limits of the driver.

Untitled.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salvo224

Salvo224 Member

Balance:
    388Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The JRK is easily configurable to set up, no code writing or modifying, changing a pot feedback setting or motor power or PID simple to fix in the utility program.
    It costs more, but the simplicity far outweighs my over spend on it.
    Good for no idea people like me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mazhar Salam

Mazhar Salam Member

Balance:
    907Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    There are more than 20 different cards compatible with the arduino including the 1 posted by racingmat. Best method is to learn how to compare the features of these cards. In order for the system to work, the card you choose should match the ratings of the motor and the power supply. If you tell me the rated current of your motor and the max amps of your power supply I can suggest a few.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and you wonder why I havent gotten around to learning the use an arduino.......