1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Friction drive rig idea

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by benj, Dec 8, 2014.

1. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi Everyone,

I can't stop thinking about this crazy idea to try and develop a friction drive idea for a motion sim. I am terrible with 3D software, so I will try and convey using the equivalent of MS Paint skills and text!

I suppose it's kind of like a compact joyrider. It would use friction between a wheel and a metal hoop to move the simulator. Time for a picture:
    [​IMG]

I don't have much of a mechanical mind, but I can't see why this wouldn't work. Of course there should be a pivot point at the front of the seat as well to add strength. Adding the 2nd DOF would be possible without too much hassle I think.

I think this idea could give a huge range of motion in a very small footprint.

Would anyone care to comment on this idea - happy to hear your worst comments ;)
  2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  3. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice @Pit ;) Not just sway - I think a 2DOF is the minimum requirement really - pitch and roll, but my drawing skills and mind to paper interpretation is pretty bad!! (note to self: new year resolution = learn 3d cad!!)
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    OK, as far as I see you can simulate roll or sway, but how you want to add the 2nd DOF (Pitch, surge) and especially heave?
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its been done before on other forums, like 2 sort of half moons rolling on top of each other.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @bsft - I will research a bit more, that sounds like the kind of solution I was thinking.

@Pit - not sure about heave, my picture was simplified to 1dof just to discuss the merits and problems with this kind of system.
  7. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I had friction systems on my surge and traction loss axis for a short while, but they slipped due to inertia on fast changes in direction and the rubber wheel was wearing out quickly. Changed them out with chain drives.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    why not use a cable drive instead of the rubber drive...

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    hello,

you have designed a small lever so you will have to deliver a stronger force.
    But friction mechanism cannot deliver high forces.

Follow @Pit's advice
    or use gears
    or rack and pinion
  10. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks everyone, really interesting stuff from y0u all.

I can see that friction is not ideal for quick movements and slippage would occur which increases the wear on the rubber.

So yes, changing to cable or gears would solve that, but that seems to be more complex and my theory was to try and simplify. If you had access to some big metal working tools this might be a fun option to explore, but I certainly don't!

Overall, the motors and levers of a more traditional rig are brilliant for a compact design, and work very well in reality. Hard to beat that!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    There are many ways, but why to make it too complicated... :) The most of us are not engineers so the common and approved way is the easiest and the most successful way to get the best of the world of simulation :)