1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Low budget 2DOF Desk racer

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by benj, Nov 11, 2014.

1. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +498 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    and thanks to @Slider there is a tuto how to mod it for our use
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/how-to-modify-a-server-power-supply-for-12v.5774/
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    There are also multiple Larger PSU's that can be found for relatively cheap on Ebay, For example the Dell poweredge 2950......750W @ 62A I paid 15$ each for them.

These are also "redundant Supplies" meaning there's actually 2 Psu's inside and in case one fail's the other will pick up the load with out the source ever seeing it happen.

Big 2950's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2Del...=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item3ce9318f16

Even Bigger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-HP...=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item5414fb045a
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Very interesting, thanks everyone. My sabretooth is 2x60 but I only use that because it was lying about...I've no idea how many amps these wheelchair motors might draw and my multimeter doesn't do amps..

Would anyone have any guess what a rig like this would need? I also run on 12v so not sure I need 2 supplies wired together.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    motors usually draw 2.5 - 3 times the rated current depending on how harsh a motion profile you set.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would just like to say....

My mind has been blown!!

:grin:thumbs:cheers

Just spent a few hours tweaking profiles then a long session with Dirt 3 and Oculus Rift.

So amazing!!!!! Unreal! This forum rocks :cheers:grin
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,103 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It surely does. I'm spending the little free time I have - I'm a brand new dad - searching through the forum and planning and building my first shaker.
    thanks again guys!
  7. benj

benj Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    So it finally happened ;) After some serious abuse (big crashes, 4 hours or so gameplay) - my plates bent. No real surprise!

What has been interesting for me is how solid these machines need to be. Any slight bit of play in a linkage is really noticeable. Any weak points will bend and break, and as you make one bit stronger, it reveals another weak point :nerd:)

Being the un-skilled metal worker I am, I found these 5mm steel plates which are ideal for my upgrade. They come in various centre distances too! My trusty dremel can help to cut a keyway into the holes to keep them from rotating on the motor shaft.

http://www.u-bolts-r-us.co.uk/125501-backing-plate-for-british-standard-gripping-u-bolt-1100-series

[​IMG]
    Onwards and upwards!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I know the feeling, I have had to replace all the brackets and levers on my rig they all bent or ended up cracking.