1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial SMC3 Arduino 3DOF Motor Driver and Windows Utilities

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by RufusDufus, Dec 1, 2013.

1. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @CalSim if I put lmy full weight on the back of my motor arm I can make it drop the drive of the motor. I am sure once the motomonster hits its peak amp output it cuts itself out which for when I was testing was in the mid 40's. I got the datasheet to verify, It says below has current limitation so it must have some sort of shutdown when it hits its peak if its driving at a high ampage for too long. Maybe im looking at it wrong tho which wouldnt be the first time :)

upload_2014-11-30_4-36-52.png
  2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Once again as I have written in the other thread if the PSU is shutting down IMO this is not an Arduino or MM related issue.
  3. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Ok well, why minimal, typical, an max values ? (AMPS)

is this rating due to 1 2SP30 or both 2sp30?

As i'm not electrician, I dont know what "high side" current limitation means [ When opened ports???]

I am focusing on my direction miss, not on the PSU shutoff, thats another problem thts does not affect if PWMmax is under 150

Appart of that, im think in getting this PSU , I was experiencing PSU shutoff when PWMmax > 170.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/HP-HSTNS-PA0...zteil-PSU-337867-501-406421-001-/310978846881

It is 106 Amps!! when at 220v and 45 euros at home.

Well, Pit, would you please show me your powering solution? I would like to reach your numbers is SMC3 app, and my motor seems to be weaker that your winches

I cant believe the monsster moto is not capable of moving the motor at full power.

Thanks you all
  4. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    @Pit Check my post #414 on page 21 look at that photo. It is NOT a PSU shutoff, nor mm shutoff. I have rechecked wires 3 times, changed all wires twice. Twisting my brain to figure out the problem. Seems curreent limitation cut on mm but it should not...
  5. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Scattering - somewhere "between the range of"...
    Depends one chip.
    IMO there could be a pot - Arduino related issue:
    Before we will discuss my settings we have to be sure your set is installed correctly:

1) Please disassemble all the components and rewire from the very first beginning.
    2) The pots are VERY sensitive if not welded correctly. Sometimes they are loosing a signal if not well done.
    3) try a different (cheap) pot for comparison
    5) try a separate MM (I hope you have one? ;))
    4) Sometimes the surface of the chips (MM) are not plan. The coolers must cover completely.
    5) Sometimes there could be a short circuit coming from a bolt where the Ard or MM is mounted.
    6) Soldering has not been done very well.
    7) Re-upload the Ardunino code (Code 1) IF both motors are affected.
  6. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @CalSim have you an AMP meter to check the amps and see what they are when the motor cuts out. I will try and do a video to show what I am trying to say.
  7. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    @SilentChill I know what you mean, but i need a clamp meter which I dont have ^^

Well @Pit

1) done 3 times, changed all wires twice.

2) Pot seems to work great, has nice signal, accuracy, and the SMC3 app works as it should with it.(motor faster the further target/pot was. @eaorobbie checked all connections with me via Skype for lots of hours, tried almost all Kp's, Kd's and Ki's and we could not find the issue, just waiting a master to help me, like u ^^

3) a G27 pedals 10k half turn was tested, just connected and manually moved. Behavior of the motor was as spected.

5) Dont have another mm, so far, i've burnt (internally not due to me) 1x monster moto(+5v line faullt) and 3x pololu dual 5019's ( 1VHN5019 out of 2 always burnt, so a direction was lost) next will be JRK. Just imagine all money i've wasted for just not being compatible nor not tested yet with the code, i talk about the 5019's

4) I already took care of that, used artic cooling brand paste, and some cyanoacrilate. Heatsinks are well installed ( i've installed several CPU coolers and have been working for years), And i think they are well glued and good contact.

second 5 ) This could be, but after checking it, it is ok. Its mounted over a wood support and the screw is not touching.

6) all solders have been tested before connecting. the "Y" cables from ard to the mm work good. Anyway, the whole system was tested with a traxxas RC motor, and a 7.4v 7600mAh Li-po batt, before connecting it to the bi PSU and motor.

7) Will re-upload it, but I have only 1 motor per mm, so I dont understand why you say 2 motors. I plan to build 6 individual actuators that will work together later.

I folowed your thread, @Pit , letter to letter. and it works.... but sometimes a direction is missed, just that and I cant allow this when i will need to have 5 more motors moving sycronized.

I want to make a video for you to see it, full detailled. tell me what you would need to see and i will make it and post it.

Thanks again friends.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  9. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Please re-read my last as i'vee been editing it :D:D this laptop has a shitty keyboard
  10. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    one more input while I am dinning :grin try an other PC or better a notebook....
  11. dedas

dedas Active Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    - 26Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I don't think so, but i will check it. I think its more some kind of induction problem, so i'm going for the decoupling c's and spike supression.
  12. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    hello freinds,@Pit ,@RufusDufus
    here is another problem:confused:
    iam using Ard(smc3) with @speedy optpcoupler ,inverter and Ac motors for my rig,my sim also stop moving suddenly,
    Ard dissconnect and i have to reconnect the ard usb and also windows push me to close game engine programo_O
    ??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!confused
    let say ive had the same Ard and cofiguration but with DC motors, worked very well and as expected for a long time
    regards
    Hooshang
  13. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,602Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    @CalSim, from the discussions so far I do think it could be the moto monster temporarily shutting down. I haven't had time to look through the forum and see what your sim looks like - is it a heavy build? the momentum of the platform can cause the motors to draw alot more current than a sim that has less mass. When you move the target to the actual actual line it effectively drops the PWM back to zero again and thus cutting the current to the motors. This could be enough to let the Moto Monster to recover and switch back on - I would need to read the datsheet more though to check if this is how it operates.

You could try increasing Kd parameter. This has the effect of smoothing out the rate of change of the PWM drive which may be enough for the moto monster to not shut down.

EDIT: I just noticed you are using a Dual driver setup to drive one motor... Pit has demonstrated this works well and I now doubt that it is shutting down from over current. Do you have heatsinks on your driver ICs? Something seems to be latching up until the PWM drive is reduced back down again for a while.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  14. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,602Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    @hooshang, Note the SMC3 code is designed to shutdown under certain circumstances. If the feedback position (green line) moves beyond the Max Limit set in Windows SMC3 Utils then it will shutdown and need to be reset. This is to avoid damaging the sim. Note that the momentum of the sim can move the feedback outside of these limits if you have them too high.

Once you have your sim running typically you would set them quite low or even 0 if you want to disable that feature altogether.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    @RufusDufus My sim is being build at this moment. it is just a simple actuator ( out of 6), driven by a "medium-big" motor, 23A 50Apeak, a couple of pulleys and 2 belts. there's no load on it yet.

Yes I'm using mm as a full bridge to control only 1 motor. My PSU is 70 Amps and it shots down changin direction for overcurrent if PWMmax> 170

All other bridges have similar specs. It seems that i'm running on edge of the MonsterMoto. @Jymä has same motors than me and he also uses similar PWMmax ( about 150) I want to estress the motor to the max, and use a driver able to do it.

Yes @Pit proved it works, but he uses even stronger motors than me, and hes able to set harder settings.

Thanks
  16. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,602Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    @CalSim are you using the same wiring as @Pit?

If you don't have any load on your motors there is definitely something not quite right. The drivers should have no problems under no load.

If Pit is using stronger motors that probably means he is putting greater load on them which will require greater current from the H-Bridges so you should be fine.

Do you have good heatsinks?
    Did you try adding some Kd parameter?

If the problem is your PSU shutting down see if you can get your hands on some 4700uF 50V Capacitors (basically the largest uF you can find with at least 25V rating) and put them across the Power Supply wires at the input to the H-Bridge. It may still not be enough though.

Maybe you could test using a car battery to see if everything works ok - that would then tell you for sure if its the PSU or something else.
  17. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @all this week I am very busy and have not much time but I will come back as soon as I can.
  18. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    @RufusDufus The PSU shutoff is under control. I'm ordering the HP L580 server PSU, its 106A at 12v, plus a 12v 1.3Ah lead batt to absorv back current from braking. I have no problem with this. Same wiring as Pit, yes

I dont detect the source of the direction miss, as you can see on my previous posts photo.

That direction miss happens with NO shutoff from PSU, even with PWMmax under 150. And the mm red led remains ON when motor is stopped and yellow PWM signal sent. Only when a fast blue line change. Pot works great and there are not spikes that make the green go over the red line and stop motor.

Using Kd 5 makes the center to bounce heeavy ( 3 or 4 times before stop, with PWMmin at 30.)

I noticed that the missing happens more with Kp at 350 and less, and its harder to happen when Kp is 500- 600, but still happens.

At this moment i am getting things ready to connect my car battery to the monster moto, And i know i wont have PSU shutoff, but will still miss the directions. I hope to be able to start my car's engine next time i conenct it, hahaha. But i will show you the results with it.

If my actuator moves up/down 20 times, 1 time it will remain at top, and stop. This is the fail rate.

Testing it on a game, it stops with no PSU shutoff then a heavy pump or jump. ( direction miss)

I am taking lots of photos and even upload a video showing you my things, hope you like it. I will post on my thread. and tell you here the issue with more detail.

Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  19. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Well connected only PSU only just to test it and mm is on, but no motion at all, motor stopped, no sound, nothing. I left it working on saturday when i went to the campaign, now im back it does not work. Voltage everywhere except motor outputs. Seems monstermoto is out. rewired everything with no result.

I keep on testing
  20. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Where did you buy the MM?