1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2dof static seat when not in use?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ben Selph, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Ben Selph

Ben Selph New Member

Balance:
    635Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Quick question. Once you have the 2dof installed, does the seat move and pivot all the time or can you lock it into position when not using the actuators? I'd like to use this for other sims that don't support 2dof and have a static seat for those. Thanks!
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You have to check if the actuators you intend to use are irreversible or not.

- many wipers are not but I have seen people adding a blocking system (a simple wedge or chock)
    - smolka nidec wiper I used, are irreversible so the playseat stay still even unpowered

- I don't know about SCN5 or 6...
  3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    winches do not need a blocking system as well (I do not want to push winches but want to be informative :) )
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    depends on motors used. This is if you used the JRKS
    25:1 tend to move with power off, so using them to hold still is a command line change in interface. What I do is start a game so the seat props up, then exit the game and game engine tells the boards to keep the power to the motors to hold them.
    Same with wipers
    50:1 , 60:1 usually have enough gearbox holding force when the motors have no power to hold it steady.
    SCN products, dunno, maybe a command line change in game engine would set them to hold.
  5. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Simple,

Unlocked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Trafalgar

Trafalgar New Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    13Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I confirmed a gear box 60: 1 with motors type ZYT90, the engines do not move off power. On the other hand, in the case of a use of a JRK card, for learning, it is necessary to disassemble the engine to be positioned manually on the max and min value. @Nick Moxley good option :thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Erwan960

Erwan960 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    3,832Coins
    Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    No need to disassemble. I used this method with my 50:1 gearboxes :
    Just click on "Reset to full range" in "Feedback" tab and then use the slider to manually adjust target to the max and min position in "Input" tab. Works fine and is much less restrictive !
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I undid the nuts holding the pots and in the graph, using a black texta, I moved the pot till I found max and min, marked it, then did a learn and that set it up. Then I fine tuned the feedback manually in utility
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    I remember using similar trick inside Simtools to hold my motors centered, I think I've used Output Testing and then DOF test, once started it centers the motors and I just didn't move any sliders. Then I've started a game. I don't remember exactly, I didn't play with it almost half year ago, but it was definitely through Simtools.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rocket man

Rocket man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 295Coins
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks a lot guys! I wasn't sure about reversible or irreversible but now I know. Thanks!