1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New 12v Worm Gear Motors on Ebay shop in the UK !!

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by SilentChill, Oct 11, 2014.

1. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Wish they were selling these a few months ago when I started my rig.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-Ge...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item58b2cd2323
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    I got that exact one for my actuator. I'm showing my tests soon. I fried 1 direccion channel on 1(of 2) motor channels on my pololu 5019 with it on it. 23A constant 48 amps peak. about 276W, so take care.

Awaiting another pololu.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, 23 amps a bit high standard. considering we overdrive them about 2.5-3 times rated current. Even JRKS would move them, but be running on the edge.
  4. Rainer

Rainer New Member

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Any progress on the testing CalSim? I just ordered 3 of these and 3 JRKS for my WIP motion sim and would like to hear experiences of them in use. Sorry to hear that you fried a channel on your pololu. We´ll see how many JRKS i fry before I get mine working properly. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    must say that this pololu 5019 I use is made for newbies, haha, its really sparkproof

It worked at the first attempt, but something got hurt when a pin touched a capacitor by mistake.

Now its just plug and test, i suposse. I'm also adding a 70A PSU .

I'll post results, hope in a couple hours cause pololu is in delivery right now.

greets
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Second pololu burned , motor was working but something got wrong between GND and the VIN header... fire
    They are too close, i had all cautions for not jumper them, in fact, all was ok with 3 checks. I'm not using headers anymoar

Now I have to buy another one, im thinking on a sabertooth single motor, the syren 50A, 100A peak, a beast to forget about it. 120bucks.

My first pololu has a working channel, but it only works for a 12v 12Amps 30peak, i think i'm selling it. i'm a bit disappointed with my work.

greets
    • Like Like x 1
  7. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    Have you considered the Sabertooth 32 x 2
    thats the latest unit with native usb, you could then use the kangaroo for position control

regards Terry
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Im really considering SyRen 50 ( 50A const 100A peak) about 120$
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HenrikSkov

HenrikSkov New Member

IT Infrastructure
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding these motors. I'm going to start my first 2DOF seat mover build and since I live in Denmark I considered these motors as they seem to be at a good price with tax and shipping included. So these are my questions:
    - The motors are listed for 80 RPM but when people build seat movers primarily for race sims they seem to want higher RPM than this. Is this correct?
    - Are these motors overkill for a "simple" seat mover?
    - With they high amps they seem to require some expensive controllers compared to builds with wiper motors. Again is it worth it for a first build seat mover?

@CalSim, did you find a suitable controller or do you keep burning them? :)

Regards,
    Henrik
    • Like Like x 2
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @HenrikSkov , 80 rpm is fine, If they are cheap , use them. For a seat mover, use a 70-80mm CTC leverr moving at 80-100 deg total angle and you will have speed enough to shake you up.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CalSim

CalSim building things

bacteriology analist
    Balance:
    1,309Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Sorry for delay i've been working hard on my project changing some basic dimensions, after success on the electrics.

After burning a 3rd VHN5019 dual, the same way the first one did, with no heat, I decided to try the chinesse monstermoto.

Same wiring, followed Pit's thread to use it as a single motor driver.

Voila!

the motor is working with the chinesse MM. It pushes the motor even stronger that the 5019's, with same config on SMC3. I'll post on my thread soon with lots of updates ( i've finished 1 actuator finally :))

I used Huge very well glued heatsinks, with a 120mm fan over it. It became really hot to touch. Even with airflow. No thermal cut-off yet.

Going over Kp about 300 and PWMmax at 200. I'm doing 5 minutes of "motion simulation"simulation" " on the SMC3 app, then check temps. I need more time to test it and raise Kp and PWMmax because it takes a lot of time each test.

As some data, it seems I have no arms to stop the piston, testing sand bags this week to see how many KG they handle.

Note that motor over-drawed my 54A PSU, and it shoot down when heavy and fast reverse. My actual 70A does not.

I just dont suggest to use the SMC3 code with the VHN5019 dual motor driver and this motor. Use monstermoto instead.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. tombo

tombo Active Member

Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    photos and details please @tombo and maybe start a new thread and we can advise from there
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tombo

tombo Active Member

Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hi,
    there arent any Pictures and details until now because i am in the planing phase.
    I want something simmilar to this http://www.xsimulator.net/community/proxy.php?image=http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/287091Sanstitre2.jpg&hash=3a380f5006fff3332f6d9e4523c21fa9

But without screens mountet. Just a little base out of Alu profile. I don't want to start a new thread for now. I'll do this if i got something to show. Because if this motors are enough i would build such a design if not i would build a seatmover only.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep @tombo http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/my-2dof-wipe-motors-and-item-structure.6102/ heres a similar build.
    You can start a new thread and change ideas as you go.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tombo

tombo Active Member

Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    I'm currently at making a 3D sketch when this is finished i'll open a post. But this can take a while because its my first one :p

I'll conctact telfels now for the motors. Thanks for your advice.
    • Like Like x 1