1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My DeLink + Kangaroo x2 + SyRen 50, Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by jsmith2307, Oct 7, 2014.

1. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider, Motion platform
    I built my simulator, a hybrid between Floreskies simulator and a Joyrider simulator from photos of Floreskies simulator…with the exception of the motors and electronics. The U-joint came from a 1980’s BMW, I cut it to length, (about 17 inches)… too high and you get balance problems, and to low, one has a problem visualizing the motors and the accompanying electronic hardware, not to mention working on the darn thing when everything’s put together!
    A description of the simulator : Platform balance simulator utilizing
    2 ea. wheelchair motors 24 volts (derated it to 12 volts)
    2 ea. DeLinks from Dimension Engineering
    2 ea. Kangaroo x2 from Dimension Engineering
    2 ea. SyRen 50s from Dimension Engineering
    6 ea. Trunk lid springs for balance…from the internet
    1 ea. Drive shaft and U-joint to be cut and welded.
    Balance weights on the rear of the simulator
    2 ea. 12 volt 55 amp hour wheelchair batteries
    1 ea. 20 ft roll of wire 10 Gauge from an auto store
    Various pieces of aluminum and steel for the under
    carriage.
    2 ea. 4ft x 8ft - 5/8 inch thick birch for the platform
    4 ea. rod ends
    1 ea. A length of 36 inches of all thread rod.
    I started the project in January ’14 and took a couple of months off and finished (?) in October ’14. I must give a shout out to Dimension Engineering http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ for all of their help in getting this project off the ground. Charleen and John were instrumental when I hit a problem. Also, I can attest to Dimension Engineering’s electronic hardware guarantee….. Bulletproof ! Also I would like to thank everyone who had anything to add, and a Guide to setting up SimTools for use with the Kangaroo motion controller
    Here is a link to a test http://youtu.be/7fN4S2EdEa4
    20140114_124439.jpg

20140201_083257.jpg

20140114_124455.jpg
    20140322_100146.jpg

PIC_1068.JPG

sim 1.JPG

sim4.JPG

PIC_1065.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good job there
  3. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Greetings bsft!
    Thank you for responding. This is the second simulator I've built, the first was a joyrider converted to motors. I prefer the platform due the fact of a smaller footprint and it is easier to get into and out of.
    jsmith2307
  4. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @jsmith2307 nice construction there. Can I ask why you used the trunk springs for balance, when you also have a counterweight on the back of the rig. Does it not interfere with the amount of force coming from your motors? Regardless, you have made a nice looking sim. :thumbs

Mike
  5. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Geetings AceOfSpies,
    Thank you for responding. The counter weight is for reduction of motor work on the Y or Pitch Axis. When things are in balance it makes for easy motor work on the affected axis. The X or roll axis is only 15 degrees, only a small increase in the workload. Things will change as I continue testing! (Did I answer your question?)
    jsmith2307
  6. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @jsmith2307 thanks for your reply. I asked about the springs because I remember reading in the forum some time ago that springs may help with backlash on the motor's gears, but they detract from the simulated motion. I just wondered if this was something you had researched in creating your hybrid.

Mike
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suggested the light spring idea and used it years ago when I was running wipers, It created a light load on the motors to help them mesh, a $5 spring saved a $10 wiper.
    People tried this with stronger worm gear motors and it doesnt need them.
    Spring used like that are a frame design balance issue or to try to hold it up when power is off for looks. It reduces the overall motion and takes away the finer motions.
  8. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Greetings Mike,
    Yes, you are correct it may detract a little bit, especially the roll axis but the balance kind of outweighs the detraction. Besides, it acts to return the simulator to it's original position quickly. Its early in the testing, I may decide to forgo them at a latter date!
    jsmith2307
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  9. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Jsmith thought you might like to know that Dimension engineering are releasing an update to the describe software and it should be out soon if not already posted on their website :)