1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Traction Loss Motor

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by CoachKalk, Sep 21, 2014.

1. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I need some advice on my traction loss. I had ordered 3 25:1 worm gear motors for my project. I have my 2DOF's running great so I decided to tackle the traction loss.

I have concerns that my 25:1 motor - as my dad used to say - doesn't have enough lead in it's pencil! I am using a 12" lazy susan pivot up front. I can swing my unit by hand, but you can def. tell it has a seat, tv, and shelf on top of it.

[​IMG]
    You can see my motor mount plan in this pic. I know my lever is too long in the picture and I have already tried a shortened length as well. I am connecting under both rear corners with cable hooking to a pivot on the lever.

Basically, I have 2 questions. First, what size/type of motors do any traction loss users have in place. Second, does anyone see a design flaw in this setup?

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. tadythefish

tadythefish Active Member

Process automation engineer
    Balance:
    676Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    ok i'm not really help here but i have a question.. witch data do you use for traction loss motor?
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Game plugins that have Traction loss available are normally connected via Extra 1 or 2. I cannot comment on your design as I used a chain drive.
  4. Martin van Hagen

Martin van Hagen not trying brings you nothing! SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Instrument Engineer
    Balance:
    881Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @CoachKalk why don't you us a timing belt pulley, two guiding pulleys and mount the belt underneath your seat assembly. This has a few advantages; no real danger any body parts are getting caught; it looks cleaner; it makes little mechanical noise and it is easy to maintain. To tension the belt you need to either fabricate something that will move the driving pulley away from the two other assisting pulleys or tighten the belt on one side when installing. Below a quick sketch.
    seat mover.png
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  5. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Martin van Hagen - thank you for that drawing. The only pot for this would be the Hall effect type that has no rotational limit - correct? I like the potential this design has for increased travel. I have changed lever length and attachment points so it is working, just not very much travel side to side.

Steve
  6. Martin van Hagen

Martin van Hagen not trying brings you nothing! SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Instrument Engineer
    Balance:
    881Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Depending on the torque required to move your seat you could install a bigger timing pulley or as you mentioned yourself multi- turn pot would do the business. Remember that half the total travel/circumference of your pully= turns required to move one direction.