1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How to convert Simexperience motionrig to Simtools

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Gelatin, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Hi!

I'd like to ask that, has anyone ever tried to convert SCN5's of Simexperience to Simtools?

I mean that leave sim commander software and use rs485 and simtools with SCN5 actuators(150mm) of Simexperience.
    I've tried put these actuators in to my old rig(100mm) to test with same wiring but these just not responding at all... There is one difference what I realised that on the simexperience wiring. They use 6 cable of wiring instead of 7 as frex and the others...
    is this could be the problem?

I like simtools so much how it works awesome, so I'd like to leave simexperience software in my second project and use simtools at the next rig as well.
    Unfortunatelly I can not revive the simexperience actuators with simtools, but I saw them to work with my friend's PC...

Is there any trick to adopt different SNC5's into an existing, tested rig?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    My friend used his rig with simexperience software. Thats why I know that they are working well. Afterthat I tried these simexperience 150mm actuators to put into my 100mm actuator's place to operate them with Simtools and my old SCN5's wiring, but no respond at all.

The wiring is good, no problem. System works with my old actuators.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    I tried reinstall system, but same result. Oldones works, newones not.
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    I bought my scn5s from simXperience as well, but just the actuators, not the electronic stuff and I'm using those with simtool, so it's possible. What you need is a pair of working usb rs485 converter (with working drivers) and the correct wiring. If you have some trouble I think it's due for one of these reasons, check both. BTW, do you tried to make it work with a fresh os installation? I'm saying it 'cause I'm getting some issue as well with a beta version of the software with SCN6 (six).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,906Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I used a SimXperiance SCN6 setup and it worked.
    So I see no reason that a SCN5 setup would not work.
    Are you sure you have SCN5's and not SCN'6?
    The scn6 won't be supported until the next version of SimTools...
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Yes, I tried with new installation, even I tried to install on an other laptop too.
    The actuators are SCN5's, just the simexperience's actuators are type of 150mm.
    Quite strange.
    My friend has a working rig from simexperience. I have a frex rig with rs485 and Simtools.
    I took my friend's actuators and put them into my working system and no response. Wiring should be good, because my rig works well with my actuators. That's why I thought, perhaps they just not compatible with the old system.
    I do not understand... anyway, thx for answers. The important thing is that simexperience's actuators works with Simtools.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  9. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,906Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I tested the whole simX setup, actuator and the control box (with the power supply and adapters inside). It all worked just fine.
    yobuddy
  10. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    @yobuddy could it be that com ports issue we talked about yesterday?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Michael33

Michael33 New Member

Balance:
    72Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hello can anyone please give me a Wiring Diagramm to use Scn 5 with a simx Box?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @nclabs, I know you have a guide somewhere, I just cannot seem to find it. Can you assist please?
  14. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sure. Unfortunatly I can't take any photo, because I've unintentionally broken one of my SCN5, and now is at my friend's home, waiting for fixing. Anyway, the "original" SCN5 have two connector, when the simXperience one has only one. It might seems a problem, but you can use the "standard" diagram, because, no matter what external connector you see, inside the wires are still the same. Open the plastic cover and look to the internal connector. You can follow the wire from the top, down to the electric board, and use the color of the wire to detect which wire does what. You can even keep the simXperience connector and use common pin connector to made a custom wiring, it works too. Tomorrow I should be able to post some images. Bye.
  15. Michael33

Michael33 New Member

Balance:
    72Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Thx for the Info, i wait for the Pics
  16. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Here you can see how I connected my SCN5. Sorry for the glue.

Important: mind the side of the connector, you can see those "steps" that you should have too. Take reference for this side, because in the other side is upside down. I used a standard male pin connector, and I wired it from that.

You can see the signal wire for the USB converter, White(+), Green(-) and Blue(GND) wire, on the first, the fourth and the fifth connector of that side. The other two in the middle are the power wire, please use a tester to be sure to not damage the actuator, and the sixth pin is for the resistance connection. Please, if you don't have the necessary knowledge in this field (I don't have it neither, lol), don't risk to ruin your hardware and ask the professionals to do this for you.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    As you can see I'm using the SCN5 from simxperience but not the simxperience control box. I'm using two USB RS485 converter. I hope this infos will be enough, 'cause I have no clue to make it work with the simxperience control box. Anyway, here: http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/scn5-wiring-tutorial.5566/ you can find the generic tutorial.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Michael33

Michael33 New Member

Balance:
    72Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Thx for the reply
    can you tell me which plug i Need to fit the Scn on the SX box?
  19. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's a standard pin array, I found it on a electronic hardware store. It's nothing special.
  20. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Sorry for late response, but too much work... Anyway, thanks for answers.
    I checked wiring, everything is fine.
    At the moment my old frex's 100mm scn5's work well with the new rs485s and the simexperience powersupply. No problem at all.
    But these new 150mm actuators from simexperience just not moving...
    If I remember well, Yobuddy asked me about which type they are, SCN5 or SCN6... I really confused about these, because they write onto the stick: Model SCN5-010-150-AS03-NA (PNP).
    Tried to connect them to the old, relaible wiring but they are not response.

Is the Simtools operate SCN6 already? Perhaps these scn's are from the 6th series?

Simexperience SCN.JPG

Here are the old frex 100mm (upper one) and the new 150mm simexperience' SCN
    Old and New.JPG

and here is a picture of new one's stick:
    Stick of new.JPG

What could I do more to operate the new SCN's if they are the 6th series? I've never tried simexperience actuators before. I'd like to operate them with my rs485 and powersupply.

Anyone can help me to find out, what's wrong?
    Thank you for your patient