1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wiper motor slow in reverse ?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by SilentChill, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,399Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi all, I got one of my motors hooked upto the PSU last night after ground.isolating it but when I reverse polarity it goes much slower in reverse than forwards , anyone had the same issue ?
  2. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

Retired
    Balance:
    11,518Coins
    Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I haven't personally, it depends on the motor had that trouble used a couple of Holden ones. There's several articles about the solution which is to elongate the mounting holes so the body that contains the field coils can be rotated to the optimum position by eperimentation to get the RPM even in both directions. Can't remeber where the articles are!!
    Rastus
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bruiser

bruiser New Member

Telecommunications Engineer
    Balance:
    516Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    here you go
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,399Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Thank you chaps just found the same video . At least I know the motor is ok and it's an easy fix
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    There is another way but involves pulling the motor case apart. Inside you will find the motor brushes, usually spaced 180 degrees apart for a single speed motor. In my case a multi speed had them spaced one at 3 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock. This gives you different speeds based on the phase shift induced by a change in polarity applied to the connected motor wires.

In simple terms if your motor has provision to move one of the brushes as mine did it will give you the maximum speed you can in both directions.

A word of warning though. That little black nipple on the end of the motor case is a self aligning bushing that can be hard to line up when reassembling, the magnetic field will try and pull the rotor off centre as you try and replace it. It can be done but requires a bit of patience.

Wiper motors are a good starting point for your initial sim, but you will find it is limited as you advance.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Al.Bundy

Al.Bundy Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    682Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Just wondering after reading this, why not use the motors of electric windows ?
    Maybe they are not strong enough but they move up and down in the same speed....just a thought :)
  7. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Termo Tecnico industriale
    Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT, 4DOF
    Come hai anche detto tu.. il problema principale e che sono troppo deboli si parla di più o meno 3 N.M di coppia e circa 55 rpm 25-30w di potenza .. poi non sono fatti per lavorare in continuo come il tergicristallo si surriscalderebbero troppo e si bruciano.Poi non sò se ci può essere altro..;)

How did you even said it yourself .. the main problem and that is too weak you speak of plus or minus 3 NM of torque and about 55 rpm 25-30w power .. then are not made to work continuously as the wiper would overheat too and you will burn. Then I do not know if there may be another...;)
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  8. Al.Bundy

Al.Bundy Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    682Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK