1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Universal joint questions

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by jimmcquade, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEAR-MOTOR-1...483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bed470a3

Is this classified as a AC or DC motor?
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    DC. I believe that's why they stated permanent magnet but AC can sometimes use permanent magnets too.
  3. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It's best to have the UV joints pivot point as close as possible to the center of gravity vertically, correct?

What do you guys think of the location of the pivot point in this drawing (for the frame). Does it make sense to raise it like this?
    sim4.jpg
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok the frame your looking at will have more roll than pitch actually a massive difference. Bottom uni will be close but a test can be done to find its final position. The Seat uni in the wrong place, will load the motors with all the weight of the seat plus the driver.
  6. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The pitch and roll difference can be compensated for with the software though, right?
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, my foot motor frame had big roll, so i fixed the profile to make it even
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes you are correct the beauty of SimTools is that we can decide on how much % of the Axis movement will be used by each force.
    What makes SimTools so create , flexibility , motion software built by DIY sim guys for simmers.
  9. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just demo'd the VRX Dbox simulator and I was not impressed at all. Hardly any movement (1 1/2" total ). Nothing like I have seen on the DIY sim videos.
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed.
    Its not a VRX, but heres a 3DOF I played on (not me in video) at the Easter Show In Sydney a while ago. I had a run on the rally mod and even with the sheer vibration, it just didnt feel right.
    And yes I have also played on a VRX as well at a place in Sydney Centre another time, same again, didnt feel right.

Dbox actuators only move about 50mm. There are 75mm and 120mm version available as well, but really, at nearly $3000 a corner, a $300 DC motor and JRK can do better.
    For the really fine tactile vibration, just add bass shakers.
  11. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How much throw do you think I can get out of the motor I listed above? I would like to have a lot of movement on the frame (pitching). Like 6" up and 6" down. Is that possible with this kind of motor or should I go with something bigger?
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its possible but it will depend on how heavy the frame you have in mind. From what you are suggesting, it MAY work adding more actual travel of throw, but there is no guarantee the motors will have the power to pull you back. Especially with screens on it, it will probably not work.
    I built a sim a while ago for a mate , full frame, shoulder mount, screen on desk, He wanted 75mm , 3" throw up and down. It struggles sometimes and thats with 60:1 gearboxes on the motors.
    I suspect you are looking at a problem.
    so for more throw, you can try it, but if the motors struggle, either shorten the travel distance or go for larger motors and larger h-bridge. Or even 24v motors.
    I think you were going to use an ard? is that right?
  13. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ard? I don't know what you mean. BTW I will not have the screens on the sim. They hang from my ceiling
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the control board, is it arduino and h-bridge you are using?
  15. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You recommended JRK's in another thread, so I thought I would use them. Do you need an H-bridge with them?
  16. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @ jimmcquade you only need the jrk.
  17. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Now I have to find a bigger motor. Anyone from Canada or Washington state USA know of a local supplier that I can get a more powerful motor from I was looking at this one bit I need something bigger.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEAR-MOTOR-1...483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bed470a3

I'm in BC, and I occasionally make trips to Washington state, so I could pick it up there if the shipping charges are too much.
    Thanks
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry, no, JRK are all in one. I missed what choice of control board you were using, if its JRKS, stick with them.
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok @jimmcquade , again with 6" throw up and down, thats 12", a 12v 50:1 gearbox motor like what is listed is a possible no go. Thats 300mm and you would need at least 160mm long levers to allow enough swing. Because you wouldnt use the full 180 deg angle, more like 120 deg angle of the motor swing. At that length, the motors may not lift it. You could try 100:1 boxes, but again, no guarantee.
    Seriously, thats a hell of a lot of swing and you will find it odd trying to look at a screen at that angle. Considering you swing back up to 6" on a hill for pitch. At your head it may be more like 10" throw.
    Its a mind trick and not a "try to recreate forces like a commercial force dynamics 401 sim". They have massive throw because it makes it look good. The amount of times people have seen videos like this

including my mate and said " thats realistic, I want that with 12v" , it cannot be done with 12v motors unless you look at custom actuators.
    That amount of swing is a wild ride and attracts attention, but sorry, its not producing the real deal.
    This 401 has a better profile

and again, its a $70k machine.
    With custom, actuators, best look at these

http://bffsimulation.com/linear-act.php
    plans bought from above site.
    2 of those on your frame would easily give you the 300mm travel you are considering and should cost you about $400 each ish to build.
    Thats what you are looking at.
  20. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How much throw do you think I could safely get from the 50:1 motor shown above?