1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Joyrider position at startup

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Jugle, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    So as I get closer to powering the joyrider, another potential issue has sprung to mind.

With the joyrider in standard configuration, i.e, using the occupant's weight for motion, it sits at full nose down attitude until you get in. Once seated, it levels out and the stick is in the straight and level position (sort of :)).

My question, for those of you using a joyrider platform or similar, is how do you deal with this once motors are attached? Will the motors stay at the last position when exiting the program, or do they return to a preset neutral position... something else?

I'm wondering because there is a lot of nose down weight in the thing when it's empty and I'm having trouble picturing what happens when motors are fitted.

Thanks, Glenn
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    This depends on how you setup SimTools, you can set the Shutdown Output to hold you simulator in the neutral (level) position, I take it you have a heavy screen on the rig. Once you have exited the rig , you can have a switch that shutdown's the power to the driver. And sim should drop down to its resting position, alternative you can also send it to this resting position on shutdown so there is no drop when the sim's drivers turn off. Plus this will also depend on the motors you use and how they are setup too.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Thanks eaorobbie. Not so much a heavy screen but other gear, rudder pedals etc. Grateful for your input.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Easiest and proberly the safest is to have it nose down to rest point on Sim Shutting down.
    A quick question did you use the gimbal limits as per acesims spec?, this also can help it be more stable once motors turn off, my steel version needed them.
  5. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Yep I have the gimbal stops fitted. I am going to beef them up though, I the 1/4" rod bends over time I've found.
    • Agree Agree x 1