1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motor specs

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Michael Hensen, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Michael Hensen

Michael Hensen Active Member

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    are these motors usable for a 2dof sim? combined with a 1:25 gear setup?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Motor-...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item58914717b7

looking for a 12V option motor from the Netherlands, I have truck wiper motor on my shortlist but they are 24V
    and would like to have full torque/power, but I think these motors are too light .. just 50W but 1800 RPM
  2. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    There appears to be a discrepancy between the info on the eBay description and the specification sheet for the motor http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com/pdfs/pmdc_2.pdf. The listing quotes 1800rpm but the spec. sheet shows 2800rpm. Either way this may be a little slow as even 2800rpm through a 25:1 ratio gearbox would reduce to 112rpm. Most of builders on here that use the Motion Control motors seem to use the ZYT90 motor which is quoted at 4700rpm (188rpm through a 25:1 ratio gearbox). The output of the ZYT90 is usually closer to 5000rpm giving 200rpm.

Hopefully there may be other members on here that may have used this motor and can advise ?

[edited as I incorrectly had 72rpm for the gearbox output when it should have been 112]
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @Roadster2 I have used two ZYT90 motors with MCP 4 gearboxes mounted at the feet on my platform sim. The quoted torque is only 0.8nm so I'm doing a rebuild and going to try crab pot puller motors from Canada with a quoted torque of 35/40nm.

The zyt90 motor works OK with jrks but the platform must be perfectly balanced.

Mike :thumbs
  4. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You are right about the RPM's, I sended Motioncontrol an email as their webshop gives me 'bandwidth exceeded', hopefully they'll come back soon :) also requested if they had the ZYT90 left.. but if anybody can comment on the ZYT80 ? They are a bit cheap so I assume that it is a bit underpowered.. and doing a search on the forum came up empty..
  5. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    My apologies. I have edited my first response above as I had incorrectly calculated the gearbox output speed to 72rpm when it should have been 112rpm (2800 divided by 25). This should be fast enough, providing the motors are indeed 2800rpm and not 1800rpm (where the output speed would be 72rpm).

Although the gearboxes are now very difficult to get hold of Some Members using the ZYT90 motors use them with 50:1 ratio gearboxes in order to increase the available torque. This combination would provide something close to 100rpm and 40nm torque at the gearbox output (ignoring any mechanical losses). If 100rpm is fast enough for them then it should be Ok for you, again assuming that the motors are 2800rpm.

Hi Mike. The ZYT80 motors that Michael linked to are also 0.8nm. If your gearboxes are 25:1 then you could consider using 50:1 ratio gearboxes. This would double the torque but of course halve the speed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hmm.. It sounds like that the motors are equal to the ZYT90 with the difference of the RPM..
    I need to check the RPM with MotionControl.. They Sell the MCP2, speciflt mentioned on the ebay as gearbox for the ZYT80 25:1 so that would work out too... not buying yet.. looking for more feedback from you guys and motioncontrol :)
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    100-112 rpm at shaft is fine, considering you will put a lever on them, so that increases speed, but at the expense of a bit or torque. So a lever of 40mm to 60mm will be fine to give you enough throw.
    And frame design comes into it as well, for a seat mover 60mm is good, but a full frame, use 40mm, or toss on 50:1 boxes for more torque and fiddle with profile to snap the motion.
    I put 60:1 boxes on a mates sim with 80mm ctc levers, on his full frame giving him 18 deg total throw, he found it a tad slow until he sharpened up profiles, now its wild and fast.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I heard somebody has the ZYT90 with 50:1 boxes for sale, so I have contacted him. Anyway I'll let you know, thanks anyway for you clear en swift responses!
  9. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have bought, well almost then, the ZYT90 + 2 50:1 gearboxes.. So I am satisfied...
    Let the build commence :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mazhar Salam

Mazhar Salam Member

Balance:
    907Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi, choosing a motor is only 1 part of the equation, I am also researching about choosing a motor since the last couple of days. Even if the motor have a 50 amps output, it depends on the control card. The one I thought of choosing (moto monster - sparkfun) is only capable of supplying 7 amps to a motor at 12 volt ie just 84 watts of power, the rest 43 amps of this motor u suggested is unusable atleast for me. Once you have the right card, also comes in to the equation is the power supply, the most common power supply used by sim builders on this site only outputs 47amps (hp server power supply dps600...) . So u will need a 12v power supply that can output 1200watts of power for both motors u chose. One more thing about the computer psu's are that you can only use 80 percent of the rated Watts even for the highest quality psu. For most psu, u can use 60 to 70 percent of the rated watt. The rest is discharged as heat.

Yesterday, I thought why not I draw power from the 12v psu already attached to my pc and started digging. I concluded that all the amps is already in use and my psu doesnt have nothing much to spare other than powering 1 or 2 small motors like those usb fans that u can put on a table.

Also keep in mind that my knowledge on this subject is only couple of days old.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  11. JL Rivera

JL Rivera New Member

Balance:
    613Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What is a "throw"? I see specs like 100mm, 150mm, even around 50mm, I just want to clarify. I can't find any answers about it in the forum. I'm sorry if this is a noob question.
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @eaorobbie , can you please answer this as I recall you had a diagram explaining this further
  13. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
  14. JL Rivera

JL Rivera New Member