1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Okay, I wrote a short FAQ in which I included some URLs as examples: "What kind of simulator for me?"
    • Like Like x 1
  2. alexandru bejan

alexandru bejan New Member

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello, thank you for answering. I would like to make a driving simulator with wheels and pedals on gimbal with 2DOF action by cylinder (my first idea) and arduino.
    What is your recommendation? for a budget around 2000 euro. I would like to use Grid 2. Any suggestion for others game?
  3. alexandru bejan

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you for URL's examples.
  4. cucu

cucu I need help

Auto Technision
    Balance:
    274Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I'm new just join from jamaica
  5. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @cucu: hello Jamaica! welcome :)

What is cylinder? Do you mean pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders?
  6. alexandru bejan

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, pneumatic cylinders but I think would be a better idea to use DC motors for motion. At this moment I have an issue to communicate with Arduino from SimTools via Serial. For start I just want to see that the signals are sent from simtools on serial port, but when I'm playing or simulate from output testing nothing comes on Serial.
  7. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Pneumatic cylinders are noisy (air exhaust and compressor) and rather slow...

What arduino code do you use?
    Maybe you could try the simple code I use and the interface presets I uploaded.
  8. axel1903

axel1903 New Member

Balance:
    11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Buenos días
    mi nombre es Richard salamanca, soy de Colombia, soy estudiante de ingeniería electrónica para la universidad estoy trabajando en un proyecto de un simulador a escala con servomotores, yo estoy haciendo toda la parte electrónica y comunicación, estaba trabado con la parte de programar un juego para enviar las señales a mi tarjeta hasta que encontré este sitio y vi que muchos juegos exportan los datos pero se necesita el plugin, me interesa descargar el pluging de roller coaster pero dice que no esta disponible, podrían ayudarme para descargarlo.
    gracias
  9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    @axel1903 Please use English my friend you will gain a better response from members.

Translated post , by Google,
    "good morning
    my name is Richard Salamanca, I am from Colombia, I am student of electronic engineering college'm working on a project a simulator to scale servo, I'm doing all the electronics and communication, was stuck with part of programming a game to send signals to my card until I found this site and saw that many games but the exported data is needed plugin, I'm interested to download the pluging roller coaster but says not available, could help me to download it.
    thanks"

Good morning Richard and firstly Welcome.
    You need to earn some coins or pay for a download package to gain access to our plugins, but beware they only work for SimTools.
    If you can start a separate post , showing us what you have done, Im sure a couple of members will lend their expertise to help you drive the model with SimTools with data coming from No Limits Roller Coaster.

Here is a working example of mine with all code openly provided and works with all the games we support,
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/rc-model-for-motion-simulation.4600/

Welcome to create your own, glad to help in anyway, that what we all pride our selfs here in doing.
  10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    @alexandru bejan

Don't be discourged in using them mate, they will work , Air tech has come along way and can be controlled with servo card.
    @hugso shows a fine example of this. So does another showing his sim on another website http://lifebeam.net/flightsim/
    I actually wrote the Ard code so that he may use simtools in his school project, check his video its quiet radical.

Welcome and don't put the blickers on , your idea is not a bad one.
  11. JL Rivera

JL Rivera New Member

Balance:
    613Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone! Just to give you a brief background about myself, I've been a racing enthusiast since I first played NFS Most Wanted. I got my first wheel, shifter, and pedal set in the guise of a G25 last 2009. Hardly used it due to not having a proper rig to attach it on. Got my proper racing rig, the Obutto Evolution and TM R500RS last year in hopes of joining the Nissan GT Academy, but ultimately failed... and now I'm back in good form to target iRacing's top racing seat. BUT to do that I need to first create my sim rig, and that's how I got into this website. Seriously considered the Obutto Revolution, but heck, from no rig to static rig, the progressions gotta be motion rig, right? motiondave/bsft has been my guide, got to see his posts at ISRTV which led me here. After a week, I realized I have to become a member as I document my journey.

Anyway, long story short, I'm back to serious racing. Well, sim racing that is. And I'm building my motion rig with your help. Please do guide me. Thank you!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure thing @JL Rivera , start a new thread here http://www.xsimulator.net/community/forums/diy-motion-simulator-projects.22/ and we can guide you no problems.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    This is a good question. I built my sim to improve my real track driving and always wondered if a motion sim really helped times in a virtual only environment. It certainly helped me drive a sim as I came from a real car, but for someone brought up on Virtual only I don't know if they would be any faster. So what does everyone think? Eg. My son can whip me on a static sim, but I am faster on a motion sim, does this hold true for anyone else out there?
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Without highjacking this thread, I think we can have a discussion about this on a offtopic thread.
  15. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    True, happy to move it to another thread.
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  17. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Kirk!

what's new?
    did you figured out how to start your sim? wood or PVC could be easier than metal welding!:eek:
    Mat
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    been there done that with PVC
    pvc2.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Kirk

Kirk Member

Sr Software Engineer
    Balance:
    15,087Coins
    Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    I've been concentrating on the electrical aspect, last night, I just finished modifying a pair of HP DPS-600pb power supplies for 24V, and have them attached to my sabortooth 2x25. I have a kangaroo / delink2, and some wheel chair motors to try my luck with, along with the gratuitous BI 6127V1A180L.5FS hall effect pots.

I'm seriously leaning towards PVC even if only for prototyping. I do have access to a welder, BUT, I've never welded anything metal in my life (well, on purpose...). My wife's turned a blind eye to my activities so far, but firing up a welder might just bring her wrath.

I do have a pair of questions. A number of videos I've seen, people are using what appear to be pillow block bearings at the pivot points. It's a bit difficult to judge dimensions from the videos, but are they like 1/2" bore (ie. is 1/2" sufficient)? And, how does one keep the bearing from sliding off, can you use threaded rod / washer / bolt, or is there some method I'm just not seeing?

I am not averse to push rod / universal joint, it's just that I haven't figured out yet how to attach both sides of the universal joints. The ones I've seen on e-bay seem to require at least some welding. (ie. it seems that only one side accepts bolts, and to buy two universal joints and make one from the halves so that bolt holes are on both sides requires a special universal joint press tool that is insanely expensive).
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Best start a new thread in http://www.xsimulator.net/community/forums/diy-motion-simulator-projects.22/ and we can talk about it there.