1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. XORExploit

XORExploit

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello to you all, my name is Ingvi

I'm From Iceland in Europe!
    I like very much cars,design and creating something with my hands.

After playing many car games for sometime now, i fell it's time for creating 2DOF simulator.
    I think i will try iSimracing & rFactor2 :)
    I have bought LED lights and some board from Ultimarc, the lights will be for the dash.

Will keep you guys posted :)

XorExploit
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MrSmurgle

MrSmurgle CTO @ gagarin.is

CTO & Software developer @ gagarin.is
    Balance:
    351Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi Ingvi. I also joined today!

Welcome and best of luck with your project.

Sammi
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kirk

Kirk Member

Sr Software Engineer
    Balance:
    15,087Coins
    Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    Hello. My name is Kirk, hailing from Texas in the USA.

I've been following the forums for a quite a while. When I finished amassing my collection of materials to build a 2DOF simulator, I figured it's time to register for these forums.

While I'm quite proficient at programming (microcontrollers, WDF/KMDF drivers, networking, USB HID / UMDF / FTDI, Video, etc.), I'm a bit shy on mechanical engineering. Still, the allure of bringing games to life, it's a worthy challenge, and should prove most rewarding (assuming I can keep most of my fingers).
  4. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Kirk!
    Yes, it's very rewarding :)
    Stay safe by wearing gloves and glasses!..
    Keep use informed with pictures and we may give you some advice if you're unsure about one point!
    Yours
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Its a buzz like no other when you sim comes to life for the first time, help many over Skype do the final check and get them running in game, the shouts of excitement is unreal and warms my heart everytime, one of the reasons I like to help.
    Welcome to overhaul or produce your own microcontroller code for a sim, the existing codes have come along way in a short time and all are supported here, openly.

Welcome and Enjoy your stay and build.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. M1shap

M1shap New Member

Balance:
    458Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi people I am a late bloomer when it comes to race Sims but have been bitten by the bug. I am looking to build a 2dof rig soon & have a cockpit that I intend to use & mount on a base. I am fairly mechanically minded &have plenty of modeling experience using inventor so intended to do this in 4 phases. 1 costing (this is the big one) 2. design 3. purchase/obtain parts 4. build. I imagine peeps on here will be sick of me by the end but I am looking forward to challenges.
    Cheers.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  7. shyguy

shyguy New Member

Balance:
    308Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    hey everyone. thnx 4 the acc.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome, never to old to build a race sim, right @Rastus ;)
    We never get sick of people, although I am sick of myself
  9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I would look at the design and then do a costing on your design. Best option is to build a model first and drive it with rc servos to see if the concept is going to work for you , plus its a quick lesson on how SimTools works, so when it comes time to build the real thing, the software you already know.

@M1shap , Welcome and enjoy, we never get sick of the questions, they're a challenge for us, so fire away.
  10. Ceresoli

Ceresoli ceretz

Cinema Projectionist and car mechanic
    Balance:
    469Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi at all! I'm Alberto and i'm from Italy!! (sorry for my english...)
    I have purchased an old bar game.. the famous TOP LANDING By TAITO and i rework that for a flight simulator.
    You were recommended by a flight simulation website where I could learn tips on the interface for flight controls.
    Turning to your forum I have seen that many members are very helpful to novices and will surely help me in what I want to share with us.
    I hope for a good cooperation on your part, and above all an exchange of information about this wonderful experience

Regards
    Ceresoli Alberto
  11. Martin.Berger

Martin.Berger Member

Balance:
    214Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi @ all
    My name is Martin and I came across recently on this forum. I'm really impressed with your work. I would like to build in the near future even a Sim. Unfortunately, I am currently very busy professionally and so I can only begin in the fall.
    Since my space is very limited, I would like the design to take of BSFT.
    There currently I have two wiper motors and have ordered a Arduino with hbridge.
    Link to Bridge:
    http://www.ebay.at/itm/1xArduino-Sm...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc50e778f

I hope I can use this bridge. I need this special code?

I hope you can help me further

regards,
    Martin
  12. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Welcome to the forums Martin, I am sure you can find the help that you want/need here! :)
  13. Ponch

Ponch New Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I am Guillaume aka Ponch from France. I am interesting in building an affordable DIY Gseat.
    I investigate on closed loop stepper motors to build up a low cost actuator. Stepper motors don't seem to be used in motion simulator, I don't know why, since they are cheap and provide high torque which allows for cheaper belt reducers or even no reducer at all.

I am currently working on a Nema 23 2Nm stepper motor with spring-loaded cable system. First results looks like the frequency response is interesting and could transmit a lot of feedback to the driver.

I will create a new thread to show you how it works and give you some real results.

Since I am new here I can't download the rfactor2 plugin to test my system with real datas so I will have to wait...
  14. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Welcome to XSimulator.net Ponch. I look forward to seeing your build thread.

Yes, you do have to read and make posts in order to earn coins with which to download plugins. But once you get 250 coins you can buy a download package and grab as many as you want while the package lasts.

You will find that once you start posting in your thread, asking questions,etc that you will quickly earn the coins you need.

Another option is to help support the website and buy a coin package with real money via paypal.

But please, do not get yourself banned by spamming the forums in an attempt to earn coins super quick, lol :D

Have fun and let us know more about your G-Seat build.

David
  15. Mick

Mick New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hi my name is Mick,

I have raced rFactor typically with others, but only using joystick. A friend told me about this site and how one can build a motion simulator with relatively low cost. I have joined so that I may learn and venture into uncharted territories.

Thanks
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Mick, have a dig through the threads
  17. Wayne.dopper

Wayne.dopper Wayne

Retired
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  18. GoRacing

GoRacing Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello everyone my name is Ernesto and I wanted to congratulate you on the forum and full of information to build a simulator DIY. I want to build a simulator with 2 engines, and here I saw that there are many projects to get ideas.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. alexandru bejan

alexandru bejan New Member

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello, I am new in this domain and I try to build a simulator. I have the GRID 2 game but I can't download from here the plugin for it.
    How can I do that?

Thank you!
  20. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello guys!

Welcome here ! :cheers
    @alexandru bejan : probably before bothering with plugin questions, you should determine what you want ;-)

- what kind of simulator you want?
    driving or flying ?​
    - what principle?
    2DOF seat mover like Frex,
    2DOF with wheel and pedals on gimball
    2DOF with wheel and pedals joyrider
    gSeat,
    6 DOF​
    - what is your budget?
    DC motors,
    AC motors,
    SCN...​

Don't hesitate to pin your location on the member map: maybe meeting in real life would be possible?