1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

buying a brand new Rock n' Ride ?

Discussion in 'Rock n Ride simulators - Outdated' started by bouslim, Oct 4, 2007.

1. bouslim

bouslim New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

zuerst entschuldigen Sie mich bitte, nicht auf deutsch Ihnen zu sprechen, ich bin in Ihrer schönen Sprache sehr gleich null :)

this is my first post here. I live in France and have been planning to build myself a home personnal motion chair that would not cost an arm (like the frex gp for instance) for a long time.

I heard a few months ago about the rnr, this all-in-one solution seemed interesting, especially because of programming development that have been done mainly thanks to your initiatives on this site.

You guys are the only place still talking about this quite old machine (rnr), it does not seem to be sold anymore and may require some knowledge in electronic. After long search, i however found a site selling one of theses in the Nederlands for 450 €. I am considering buying it now but i had a few questions

I don't have particular skills in programming, but i like DIY. I am not demanding too much from this device, but if i would probably go for it if i am convinced this can add situational immersion in sim games , i am mainly thinking about flight sims like IL-2 or Combat Flight Simulator 3 or Flight simulator X.

I am looking for user feedback, regarding the rock n' ride chair : after all this time do some of you still use and is it worthing buying it new. I have been looking at the motion chair market for a while, it always look way too expensive and i don't feel capable of building something like a joyrider for instance yet, but i would not mind starting with something simple like this chair, maybe adding a few electronic and mechanical parts if needed.

What would you think this project ?

A few more information :
    my weight is approx 100 kg
    I own both a lcd and a crt screen (19')
    Thank you very much in advance,
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi bouslim,

Welcome!

450 Euro for a complete RnR seems to be ok. But be aware of the shipping costs.

Imho the RnR with standard valves is a nice thing for arcade games. The pulsmode of X-Sim improves it really much.

Personnally, I wouldnt recommend it for simulations.

BUT, I think the RnR frame design is really good. If we could make some cheap DIY servo valves, which could control the RnR proportional, it would imho become a really good simulaotor which could be used for real simulations as well.
  3. bouslim

bouslim New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi egoexpress,

thank you for the advice and the welcoming :) ,

the site i was watching, is charging 50€ for shipping to France, i am quite tempted by this at the moment, i am thinking about using the rnr in such way it can follow joysticks moves. I understand doing so, it will surely be more arcade like, than simulation like.

As you pointed it out, the frame itself looks nice and solid, maybe useful for future transformation. motion by Servo valves technics is an unknown territory for me, do you have any link maybe to get more information ? . I understand it surely would take a lot of hard work to have a decent response in simulation anyway, but do you guys have/had fun with this device, or is it now completely outdated ?

Last question (i promise) i had a discussion with a contact (sales person) on this site :
    http://shop.rightthing.nl/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=17

they propose the same rnr ( twice the price :roll: ), but what kept my attention is the fact they can sell you some parts that seems to improve the chair into something more sophisticated ( i am thinking about this
    http://shop.rightthing.nl/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=61

and this :

http://shop.rightthing.nl/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=63

Of course, they don't provide any information about it, could this be some kind of developped servo valves ?
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    LOL, axis regulators for 199 Euro :)

[​IMG]

These are common chokes sold for 3-5 Euro via ebay! Look for festo 1/8 chokes.

And for 299Euro, thats what they want to have for the RnR Valveblock, you would get 4 5/3 industrial valves for that money.

Those prices are incredible high!

No, the pic shows a standard RnR I/O valveblock

Our DIY servo valves are w.i.p

But if you'd have a RnR frame, you'd have a solid base for further developments.

I wouldn't recommend joystick mode...
  5. bouslim

bouslim New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well thank you very much once again for your advice,

i am going to follow your thread about DIY servo valves and pray for it to be successfull ;).
    It is my understanding that it will definitely not be a piece of cake, to turn the rnr frame, into something decent for flight simulation, but whatever comes out of it will be for sure an interesting (and cheap) alternative to what exist on the market - i am thinking, for instance, about the poweride sold on playking.de website...

regards,

bouslim