1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3DOF project (first time making sim)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by jackon680, Apr 8, 2014.

1. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I'm doing a 3dof sim using stepper motors. The thing is that i have no idea how to get the motors to work with the simtool software. If you'd all be so kind as to help me with this part i would be very grateful.

This is a model of what i would like my sim to look like, there are some pieces missing obviously but that's roughly what it would look like.
    racing chair.png
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as far as I know, no one has yet got steppers working, but I could be wrong.
    Any reason why you want to use steppers? Apart from being small size?

And nice design, looks like something I had in the past
    pvc1.jpg
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I have, lol. Plus helped another use them to run on dashboards.
    Actually easier to control than DC motors, with the right drivers, lol.
    To produce heave, its tricky and can be quiet expensive, for a first time build, with little electronic knowledge I would not attempt.
    I would do a 2dof sim, and add a 3rd dof with traction loss, far better for driving games.
    So what is your experience with micro controllers etc. If new to them , start slow, to avoid disappointments
  4. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have no experience building sims or with controllers, so I would like to get as much help as I could.

I'm using steppers because that's what I have available. I'm doing this as a school project so I don't have all the time I'd like to have. My teacher is giving me some stepper motors to use, and I need to figure out how to get them to work with the software which I have no idea how to do at the moment.

Also I'm not sure which boards to use, but I read that Arduino are cheap and can work with simtools. I also don't have a lot of money to put into this so I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible but still sturdy and functional.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok you have a steep learning curve to go through, but your teacher is pointing you in the right direction too.
    Now we need to know what Voltage are and the Amps for the units them I can suggest what to use.
    The Nano or the Uno would be able to control 4 stepper motors, there is plenty of information out there on how to drive steppers with an Ard.
    This is what you need to "GOOGLE" even in the Ard IDE there is provided sketches (code) to run and test a stepper, one in particular named Sweep uses a pot to move a stepper, basically the stepper follows the pot. We can use this a base for our code, using the pot variable to represent the target that SimTools has set for the position of the lever. Getting SimTools to talk to the Ard is the easy bit, done in many different ways here.

So first have a look at some video's of stepper using an Ard, heaps of info out there.
    Once we know some more details, we can move on for sure , your idea is a valid one for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    ok I have nema 34 motors 3.5 amps, recommended voltage is 24-60v. I also have drivers for them that say they are 24-80V.
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok that clears a lot up, ok most driver like this can be driven by a micro controller, quiet easy to do with the Acelstepper library that can be found to make it even simpler to run with less commands to confuse you.

Ok some details on the driver please, what we are looking for is pulse + - and a Dir + - , most can be driven by gnd both negatives and sending pulses to the pulse + to represent how many steps to take and applying a positive or negative feed to the Dir + to drive which direction it steps.

So sorry a little more details on the driver and we should be able to put something together to begin testing with before you commit to a build.
  8. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This is the driver that I have for the motor. Does this give the information you wanted?
    Stepper driver.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  9. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    @eaorobbie Apart from the the stepper and driver information, is there anything thing else that is needed before we know what to use for a board?
  10. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok @jackon680 this unit wires up and is used exactly the same as mine does. So test code I have should work for testing so we can sort it and finalize this for SimTools use.
    Ok for wiring.
    Pul+ - 5v Ard
    Pul- - Digital out pin on Ard, will advise once I check my code.
    Dir+ - 5v Ard
    Dir- - Digital out pin on Ard, again need to check my code.

GND - -ve of Power Supply for stepper, plus also goes to the GND pin on the Ard
    VDC - +ve of Power Supply for stepper.

I need to check my code but the Ard IDE does have something you can test with.
    P.S Sorry for the late reply.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hey eaorobbie, thanks for helping out with my stepper sim, I have decided to try and use gear motors as well as the steppers. I'm trying to find out which way would be easiest to use, so when I actually buy this stuff for myself I know what to use. I was wondering how exactly does the arduino connect with simtools. Do you need a certain code in the Ard IDE at the same time you are running the simtools software? My teacher has been trying to figure out how it works but could not figure it out so he wants to use JRKs instead of Arduinos. I am still trying to figure out how it will work so that we do not have to use a lot of money on JRKs cause it seems they can only control one motor per board and Ards can control 2 (if I read things correctly).

I would still welcome help with my gear motors, steppers, and getting Arduino to work with simtools so that I do not end up buying JRKs when I could use Arduinos for cheaper. Also what drivers should I use for the gear motors? I saw these being used around the forum http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html so I was thinking of using ones like these.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok with life you get what ya pay for mate, the Ard is not a bad setup, yet to get one to function as well as the Jrk does with 12v, but if you wish to go further than 12v then the Ard has it. Personally comparing motion from both systems that I have had, actually have separate shields with connections for using the Monster moto with different codes, and have used them all on my 12v sim to test. And they are not as easy to setup and the resulting motion, couldn't be compared to the Jrks. As in I could not run the same motors at the same speeds and sharpness even thou the monster moto uses the same h bridge chip as the Jrk12V12.

But for a cheap option the Ard is the only option at all.

For use look into Prilads or RufusDufus posts both contain instructions and code plus both come with a nice app to make things easier to setup.

The motors you mention are avail on Ebay and pose as crab pot puller motors, same spec, and cheaper. And I hear the guy is really nice to deal with.
    Yes one Jrk controls one motor, one reason for their efficiency and ease of use. The Ard can control up to 3 motors with rufusdufus code, which I have only tested with 2 motors.

I feel trying to skimp on a budget to build a quality motion sim only leads it to not reaching the optimum experience that can be had but in turn still a lot of fun.
    Will be a nice comparison with your teacher building with Jrks and your self with an Ard, you will see at first hand the difference a little more dollars can do.

With Ard help Im sure the Ard guys here will help you along quickly they can be very helpful.
    On Jrk side , ask away as I only use the Ard to control dashboards and recorders.
  13. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I am new to this also and can recommend the jrks. Costs a little more, but simple to get working with geared motors. I got mine working with very limited knowledge, so can you.
  14. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    A side note, the help in this forum is fantastic.
    • Agree Agree x 1