1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Resolved Output very small

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by Haldus, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Haldus

Haldus New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider
    OK first off I want to start with this software is awesome! very easy to install and setup and simple and intuitive, just great! Just in time for me finishing my build too.

I am having a little bit of trouble though, I am trying to play Dirt 3, I got the plugin, installed it followed the documentation and set up the game manager and engine as instructed. However when I play the game (everything lights up, it knows the game is running etc) and I set up the virtual axis to check the output the sliders are barely moving! they do move the tiniest bit back and forth as I drive but it is barely anything. I have the axis assignments set to 100% and I can't think what is going on, no doubt right in front of my nose. Please let me know if you need any more info
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    have you actually made a profile and changed numbers relating to forces in the tuning centre?
    I know simtools can give motion "out of the box" , but you need to manually fiddle with numbers.
  3. Haldus

Haldus New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yea I have a profile made but it doesn't seem to make any difference when I move the sliders. Just so we're clear, this is in the game manager program under profile editor then editor? The main slider is at 100% and I have moved the sliders in the editor to max and min and everything in between but it doesn't seem to make a difference, the virtual axis only move a tiny little bit.

In case it is relevant I have surge in axis 1 and sway in axis 2 and that is it, both at 100%

Also when I say the movement of the virtual axis sliders is small it is only a few pixels kind of small.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got a screen shot?
  5. Haldus

Haldus New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Game Engine axis.png Game Manager.png Profile editor.png Profile editor2.png

thanks for taking the time to help bsft, much appreciated
  6. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I agree with BSFT, you need to open the tuning center ap (right click on the "Game Engine" icon and click on "Tuning Center"). Click on "Capture Max Min" and play the game for a bit, then click on "Save New Settings". This should give you movement on your simulator if it is set up correctly.

If you do not see any numbers in the upper menu of the Tuning Center then you are not getting telemetry from the game.

I had the same issue with Dirt 3 when I first set it up.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Haldus

Haldus New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Perfect! Tuning center is the one, sorted out my max and min and away it went. I'm sure it was mentioned in the documentation but I had no idea how to find the tuning center. Thanks a million for your help guys, much appreciated!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    This contained in the tuning centre doc, most question can be answered with a quick read.
    The base min and max for all games will need fine tuning depending on the sim you have and how it is setup , but once tuned you can simply use the game manager - profile editor to make quick changes that can be saved and repeated quickly.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what sort of sim do you have?
  10. Haldus

Haldus New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @eaorobbie yea I knew i was in there somewhere and I had just skimmed over something important, but I had friends coming over and I wanted it moving so I could show off so I rushed through reading the documentation :S

@bsft I built a joyrider type setup, using the basic idea but built the frame from scratch using steel box section. The joyrider looked reasonably simple and with large movement in the axis for flight sim use as well as racing sim. I am using 2 12V wiper motors, an arduino and 2 pololu 755 motor drivers. Everything is powered by 3 pc power supplies and my laptop.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joyrider, sounds good. I had that as my first motion sim. And a few guys here have them as well.
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cool must drag my old joyrider out, but been having too much fun on the racing unit, as the joyrider couldnt match the movement speeds and forces from the racing rig, but is very good for flight .
  13. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    Hi Haldus

I had the same issues with Project Cars initially, too big a numbers in every axis relating to g force outputs.

I did remember reading it in the tuning centre documentation, my problem was reading the instructions in bed then not recalling them when in the sim. That right click caught me out.

I'm running Windows 8.1 so it is always a challenge to find apps.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Roonster

Roonster Member

Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I
    I've been playing with the Simtools software interfaced with a Pololu Maestro and a few RC servos to learn the software and understand what it can do. I also had the problem with very small output when I started. Searching the forum and reading the docs helped me get things up and running properly.

I agree that "right clicking" the game engine to find the tuning center was not intuitive and would have been much easier to solve my initial troubles if there was a "Tuning Center" button on the game engine screen where all the other settings are controlled.

I don't mean this to be a slam on the software or the documentation by any means, I'm very impressed and happy I was able to get my rc servo tests running so quickly, just thought I would put my 2 cents in as it is the small things that can make a new users experiences go smoothly.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    Fully agree, Simtools software is fantastic but it was a little difficult to find.

Obviously once you use it and know where to look its no drama. Maybe a good thing, hard for someone to inadvertently muck up your settings
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    I agreee with this.

Maybe it can be added on 'to consider' list for @yobuddy, for the future build maybe to integrate a "Tuning Center" button on the Profile engine or Game engine window for easier find.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Tuning centre is only used a little when you first tune a base profile of a car in game. Not designed to be accessed with ease because once game is tuned for the first time, you should then use the provided profile editor in the Game Manager to make a profile for a particular type of race or car. In the profile editor it actually changes the Min Max settings , they either add to it or minus from it as a % so in turn there you are actually manipulating the Min Max Values while leaving the base (default) setting alone. This all can be done while game is still running and effects can be felt straight away. And once you have a couple of set profile it can be selected from the front screen of the Game Manager and changes instantly , not stoping and starting of game. This is how it was intended to be used. Not as complicated as the other is.

But still a button in the Game Engine - Tools section might be a good idea.
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    still need of of these for a last resort
    nuke-b~2.jpg