1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

wannabeaflyers 6 DOF with 24V DC gearmotor

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by wannabeaflyer, Feb 2, 2014.

1. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys i have been a member of the community for more years than i care to admit LOL but mainly as a dreamer always facinated by how many different ways you guys come up with projects, anyways a little luck came my way, so this Project will be serriously attempted, but i take no credit for the work, as its inspired by too many commuity members to mention, but have to mention the big influence was the Project of Merchan-E and his version of a 6 DOF platform using 12 Wiper Motors ..... Great Innovative stuff so it begins with a ........... Hi Guys EBAY is truely your Friend :). on Friday my bid was accepted for 4 brand new Invacare Wheelchair gearbox Motors and when i went to pick up the items the lady had another 2 that she was selling ( i don't think she knew what they were and how much they really sell for ) anyway my lucky day as i now have 6 brand new 24Volts Dc / 3 amp with output sped of 110RPM gearmotor units ,,, Now all of a sudden i have no excuse not to try to copy this Project ( i say copy because merchan-e has done the hard work and shown what can be done) , My question is for some Guidance regarding Motor Drivers , i already Have Velleman Controller Card , Arduino Uno, and Tronics AMC 1.5 & Dual H-Bridge which i built 3 or more years ago LOL. during this time i have bought Ians SP40 Controller card and 2 x MD30 Motor controller which were used on my 2dof FS Simulator and 3 Parvalux PW60 Motor/Gear Box But they only had 8 RPM output lots of torque for the 2 DOF platform but slowwww, and the latest was the Dimension Engineering Sabertooth 2X 60 Controller + Kangeroo unit ,, as you can gather i have all the gear but no idea as they say i keep shifting the goalpost as i see guys here doing great things. This time im cutting metal and drawing up CAD plans to build this 6DOF project .. But back to my Question .. Based on these Motors Which Controller Would you Guys Recommend, Devantech MD30 , or get 2 Sabertooth 2 X 25 Motor controller and 2 more Kangeroo module to go along with my 2 X 60 Version.. For Controllers would Love to Use the Simaxe module But not quite sure where its at development wise ?? i may have missed some post so please ignore my lack of knowledge in that area... Im and engineer by trade so the mechanical element does not phase me , like most builders here for the electronics side i'd like the almost ( i say Almost) plug n play aspect of the Simaxe or Ians New SP64 interface, as they a proven options, i already have the Old SP40 interface but would need to buy the new one so SIMAXE would be great as its support is here.. Thanks guys will post pictures in the next post
    • Like Like x 6
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, looks good so far
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    You want plug and play, well apart from setting a PID and feedback(range of pot use) then the good old Jrks are it. Be interesting to see what you build, keep us all informed.
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I wonder if Pololu has a JRK in the works that would work with 24v? That would be awesome. Unfortunately they will not work with your 24v motors right now :(
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    No at the moment there is no option from Pololu for a all in one driver that will run at 24v, most of their stuff is designed for miniature robots, we push the limits of the Jrks with sims, left them a little gob-smacked to what we get out of them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys just a wee update , The cad thing is adictive LOL you keep messing with the design and it leads to otther Design :) anyways i always knew Motor Controllers were going to be in issue ( but not too big as things are getting better in our favour by the day) , i have looked intoo so mechanical setups based on being able to do most of the work at home with the equipment i have. so attached is a sheet with 3 high potential cut metal and saw wood creations at least enough to check out the mechanics and software settings. Having looked into so more Control Options i am leaning towards the Kangeroo and Sabetooth 2x60 setup, as i already one set of these and i'll be able to find out what current the motors will draw under test loads. for the moment i'll use Ians BFF motion software as i also have that as well .... the Sabertooth 2x60 controllers arent cheap ( but its a great producy) so im hoping the Current drawn by the wehhel chair motor / gearbox unmder load , will fall into Sabertooth 2x25 Range, to reduce the budget outlay.. i fully realise 6 DOF was never going to be cheap or Easy so will take it all on board as they say and see where the test takes me ... Control wise Would still like to Try the Make and use the Simaxe/Simtools when its ready failing that it will be another option as im still doing reasearch :) So basic system will be PC1 Games Machine & PC 2 ( Control Software) & Interface card - 3 Kangeroo Interface units and 3 Sabertooth 2x25 or 2x60 combinations... still need to work out the Power supply but again im thinking High Current Power Supply in parallel with Car Battery as Current Resovoir , with Fuses and Limit switches where required .. not forgettting the Hall type Rotary Sensors for feedback.. feel free to correct any false assumptions i may have made. Cheers guys will Post detailed drawings once i decide which configuration i'll make..
  7. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    opps forgot the attachment :-(

Attached Files:

8. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Triangle setup.jpg one of three possible mech setups .. welded 50x 50 x 6mm angle mild steel with 18 MDF insert to spread load
    • Like Like x 2
  9. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    star assy.jpg 6 dof Trial assy 1.jpg
    The other 2 options
    • Like Like x 2
  10. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    DSCN2535.JPG DSCN2536.JPG DSCN2540.JPG DSCN2541.JPG DSCN2543.JPG DSCN2535.JPG DSCN2536.JPG There are times when im glad im a horder of parts LOL , i knew i did not throw this stuff away and wanted kept for a rainy day ..well her in Englad were drowning so decided to have a root around my Old Project boxes ,,guess what i found all covered in dust but just as left it all those years ago... now all i have to do is figure out how to connect it all again or better still set it up with the newer firmware and simconnet LOL ok ok excuse the dust but just wanted to show you guys that i had done some work before i got sidetracked :) Look past the dust, yes its rough and ready but worked if i remember correctly . will find out once i power it all up again -----( No blue smoke hopefully as that h bridge did not have the recommended Logic Gate Mosfetts but was ok for the 2 small Gear motors connected to the Pots you can see in the pictures
    • Like Like x 2
  11. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    its alive.jpg
    Its Alive LOL at least 4 years in storage and 12V dc power and Voila as you can see by firmware she's a wee bit old but no smoke LOL :)
  12. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    Hows it going?
    did you decide to use the K & 2x60, I see for flight sims, Ian's 6 dof now supports the Kangaroo

regards Terry
  13. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Terry still waiting for the two new 2 x25 dimension enginnering controllers to arrive , i have one kangeroo module already fro my Current 2x60 controller but have not played with it as yet as i was waiting for my digital hall effect Pots, i will be using Ians BFF software and Digital 180° Rotation Pots for position feedback . Actually this weekend my New 6dof controller arrived so will re-configure my 6DOF RC servo Model ( made years ago .. dusty but should be ok and do some testing to learn how the whole system control thing will be configured, and to see if i can get it working before wiring up the Big Boys , the control system will be the AMC128 Card and expansion interface , 1 2x60 Sabertooth card and 2 x 2x25 dimension engineering motor controllers with 6 x digital ( Hall sensor Pots ) to drive my 6 Elelctric wheel chair motor/gerabox units , Not sure of total weight carrying capacity but am working on the premis that this has been done using wiper motors so My brand new wheelchair motors should be at least capable of repeating that performance once i remove the Braking devices..... Loads to learn and experiments to try, but its all looking good ( on paper at least LOL ) so far... i just made a Mini CNC Router to Make my own PCBs ( not overkill as thats another passion of mine, so it just compliments what i need in the way of hobby equipment ) Pictures to Follow... cheers Guys . been lurking while waiting for bits but this project will move forward and show some results soon
  14. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Had a great weekend Guys Got my Heapod 6DOF model working with me new Controler and Ians BFF software, So Phase 1 Work in progress at Last , Still waiting for some more parts But have put together the Control Box and Drivers so will start ( hopefully not Blow up ) testing a single actuator at a time wish me luck LOL and A Picture of the Final revision for the full sized platform itself , so Wood Cutting Metal Bending and Generally Hacking bits Now with a Vengence .. Still a TON of stuff to learn and do but at least and at last this phase of the project is moving forward . hang in there guys and i'll soon have something to show for all my Lurking

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes! Good luck for your tests! ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Matt a few more guys here are working on similar projects and all with our own take on whats needed , so all in all we should have a good talent pool to swap ideas and learn from , hell i would not have gotten even this far if it was not for the inspiring work the guys do and have done, so hopefully time to give a little back (make that a Lot) LOL :) cheers
  17. NjMotion

NjMotion Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    Good work, I am aware of your progress.:thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    DSCN0056.JPG DSCN0059.JPG DSCN0062.JPG DSCN0060.JPG DSCN0062.JPG Hi Guys just a wee update Been away a while and mangaed to blow up my car so prioirity shift LOL,,, anyways just to let you know progress is being made , things are coming together nicely for the test phase,, basically have designed the Actuator pairs as modules for my 6DOF ( Frankenstien creation LOL ) and have made a test mock up to verify the fit and mechanical assembly --so far so good see the pictures below,,ignore the chaos in the background but you should see what im trying to do .. i now have my hall effect pots connected and the motors responding to position demand nicely , although i seem to have some noise pick up as sometimes the Actuator are not always stable around the center point ( jitter i think best descibes it maybe need twisted leadwires or screened cable as the leads will be about 1.5 meter max in length ) i fired up FSX , Ians Excellent 6dof Software and My AMC128USB + expansion card and NO Smoke But lots of Nice Movement, so one very happy Nutty Professor here :) ...still masses to do lots to learn and a bucket load of fine tuning but as i said NO Smoke and things Moving sorta how they should, so has to said a step in the right direction ....This Forum has been a and amazing learning experiance and i cant thanks all the unsung heros and members for all the ideas and advice you so freely give (Man when the net comes good its GOOOOOD) ..ok Guys enough waffle just to let ya'll know im still working on this and will post update as and when each trail is done ... Thanks Guys OH Oh the MDF build is just to check the control system before metal work is cut and welded and the check the sizes for the real Units when its built later on .. :)
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Knew i foprgot something .. in the pictures you may just about make out the Limit switch on each axis i used my Frankenstien Not pretty but but oh so acurate CNC Router to Mill the Actuator arms and the Cam to trigger each limit switch if the levers go beyond the desired stop points ... the idea was to use only one limt switch per actuator ....anybody have any thoughts as to if this ok or not practical ( i intend to fit a diode across the Contact so that i can reverse the Motor away from the overtravel position ) Cheers Guys the PDF attached shows one Modular section only of the Three that will be built and the Top Frame will of course only be one made od Welded angle iron 50 x 50 x 3mm ???

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Hi, just my observation, but normally you would have two limit switches as the motor will need to be driven in the opposite direction when it reaches each limit, or is it just shutting the power down? Looks good, like your progress.