1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, SimforceGT
    Thanks eaorobbie. I think I'll probably save myself some hassle and just go with JRKs as well. Would you mind sending me the link to that removed tut as well?

Thanks!
  2. Kalab

Kalab New Member

Safety Manager
    Balance:
    304Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    @eaorobbie ok but is there anything I should be looking for specifically as far as
    Resistance (Ohms) Power (Watts) Tolerance
    am I just really over thinking something simple?
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can assist as well.
    What are you referring to? Resistance of what? Wattage of motor?
  4. Kalab

Kalab New Member

Safety Manager
    Balance:
    304Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    sorry, I was wondering what I should look for when shopping for rotary potentiometers that will work with the JRKs
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    generally a 4.7khom / 5kohm. Turns of pot will depend on how you set it up on the motor, some use single turn, I use 3 turn on one sim and 5 turn on another because of gears I use of the motor shaft
  6. juliusEXO

juliusEXO New Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Good day. Its been a while since i posted my concerns about building a 2DOF simulator. Our professor let us use motors as alternative for pneumatics. My only concern is what type of motor to use. My colleagues insist the use of AC motor which unfortunately is quite expensive. Thus, making our decision go back to pneumatics. Can we use DC motor? is it less expensive than AC and Pnematics cylinder and valve. Thanks.

Please be patient to me. Thanks a lot.
  7. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform

Hi @juliusEXO ... For this generous professor ... you and your colleagues needs to act fast to reach the project goal and get the highest mark ... there should be at least 50% of your team that should know how to deal with AC motor and what to do ? ... and learning how to use AC motors is little longer than DC motors plus as you said quit expensive ... So DC motors it is :thumbs and till your friends not to wast there time on hard choices because it is after all this school project is about something else ...

tell us again what is your project is about ? ... and I'll give you a typical project to learn from ...
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Kaleb - what do you plan to use for motors?
  9. Kalab

Kalab New Member

Safety Manager
    Balance:
    304Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @JBoogie I saw a deal on Ebay for 4 wiper motors for only 25 bucks. I couldnt pass them up. Have you started construction yet?
  10. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Wow, are they decent motors? I haven't bought any real parts yet...still trying to plan everything out before I go spending a bunch of money! :) I did build a little model so I can play around with the software and try to plan out motor placement, etc. I started a new thread in the projects area for my build. I'm actually second guessing the joyrider...now that I see all these other seat mover designs. They look to me much simpler mechanically - not to mention easier to get in and out of! I think I am also going to build it so I can swap in/out flight controls and car controls.
  11. weejoe

weejoe New Member

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    WOW! what a amazing website. I am a automotive lecturer from Scotland, total petrol head! I have fell in love with what i have seen on your website and as a consequence, I have proceeded to empty my spare room, paint a wall whit set up a projector and a G27 wheel buy a seat and build a frame. I am hooked on GT6 for the PS3 (saving up for the gaming pc). I am considering manufacturing a modern compact motion simulator.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @weejoe. where in God's chosen land are ye from? I'm in Kilwinning and have built a 2DOF platform mover for racing and flying sims.
    All the info I obtained from this site and through the very generous contributions of its members.

Mike :thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ntroncone

ntroncone New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    hi I am ntroncone recently build a simulator like frex it is working fine with your software.

thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Got a photo or two @ntroncone ,
    oh Welcome too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. assaf

assaf New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Assaf and I live in Israel. I work as a Sys Admin . Recently I Found this forum and all the FLY MOTION IDA and I like to start plan my own FLY MOTION System . for start i think the best solution for my propes is 4 DOF .
    I love fly airplane simulation and fly for more than 20 years in computers simulation sach as : Falcon , FC3, BS2 ,A10 ,UH-1h and so on.
    Since I new to this "thecnology" I be more then heppy to get some help for start and some info about chip motion motors and so on

for now my knowleg on this is 0 :)

I found this forum and I hope I can learn more from you.

Regards,
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Welcome @assaf .
    If you start reading you will see that there are 3 - 4 option available for you to motorize a sim.
    In no preference SCN5/6 , Jrk , Ard, SimAxe, 240v(being currently explored).
    All depends on how big ya wallet is and what type of Sim do you want,
    Flight take a look at Joyriders about the best balanced design you will find but a little tricky to get in or out of, Value1 built on that alot better in steel, not too hard to climb in,
  17. assaf

assaf New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply .
    I'll be more then happy if u can send me some links for threads about fly simulation use .

My wallet is not that big :)

I see and read about the scn5 solution but i also find that using a motor will be more chip and easy to make
    am i right?
    This design looks fine for me :
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-2dof-simulator.4793/

Just to add more higher arms to the motors so the movement degrease will be more higher

Or maybe this :
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/bodgy-2dof-traction-build.4592/

But as i think this solution be good for HELI Simulation and not that realistic for Fighters simulation.

again i realy new to this great world and don't know the basic yet for my needs and the "BEST" for me .

thanks again

assaf
  18. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    You want 4dof ya wallet must be a fair size, not cheap nor easy.

First is a bad example that require springs too assist the poor placement of the motors, if springs are require you got it wrong. Actually a copy of a sim from the other site(well built on the same principles - owner sold it).Plus they dampen a lot of the shock (ultra fast) movement the motors are capable off with the Jrks.

Bigger the arms the stronger the motor is required to move the cg off balance and back again to a point DC motors will struggle.

Second is another poor design that will have a way too high cg, higher the cg the harder the motor will have to work specially if they are only pushing under the seat, fine for a seat mover but I would not recommend using them that way.

Both are not suited for flight as they have a combined axis, as in both motors act on roll and pitch , for a better flight feel you need to have them separated so it hold a perfect roll angle as it pitchs up or down.(Joyrider)
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  19. assaf

assaf New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Thanks alot.

So as i get from your word the best solution for flight sim is the joyrider platform.

I need to buy the full drawings right?
  20. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1