1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I had a feeling that you would say that ... and another feeling that he will NOT approve DC motors regarding what you're study and do an application project for ... but if it's a pneumatic chair project of your group choice to the school, that is something else ...
  2. cubizme

cubizme New Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hi everyone ! I'm a new member, my name is Trung and i'm from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam .

I want to make 2 dof simulator, i hope you will help me to finish !

btw, why I can't download simtools ? it stop when 30% !

Thank you very much ! ( sorry for my bad english )
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Welcome @cubizme , please try pausing your virus protection or try downloading with a different internet browser. The download does work , many have done this.
    Dont worry about the bad english, we do not judge people on that, hell , Im english and mine can be piss poor at times. lol.
    Start a build post and ask questions there , member will jump in and give you many opinions and techniques to achieve your dream.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I speak English, drunk English, stoned English gibberish
  5. Kalab

Kalab New Member

Safety Manager
    Balance:
    304Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    My name is Kalab. I live in the state of Wyoming. I am interested in building a PVC style "joyrider" primarily for motion simulation with flight simulator x. I have done several full days worth of research on the subject (dont tell my boss please :blush) and I am still very confused. I would be plenty happy with just the standard 2 degrees of motion roll and pitch, but I would really like to add a yaw platform under the unit for a 3rd. In any case I am sure that a lot of folks have taken that same PVC design and motorized it, so rather than travel a lonely road, are there any guides, tutorials, or for dummys presentations on the subject? Particulary for the electronics and recomendations on motors and sources. I will openly admit at this point that I am cheap and will take shortcuts where I can to save some coin, but at the same time I dont want to be dissapointed in performance so I want to find the tolerable trade off. I exhausted the search function and found very little that made much sense to me. Thanks to all, and especially thanks for such an awesome website!
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would use Jrks for simplicity and speed, but the Ard will do it just not as nice for motion.
    Sent you a pm with a link of some old tut that got removed by its owner, should help you complete a the project.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    12v 200 watt big worm gear motors and JRKS for sure.
    As for the rest, can be done.
  8. digmablass

digmablass New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hey guys, sorry for not introducing a time, I am very happy to belong to this community, I have some time researching on how to make a simulator in Principle 2 DOF, this forum seems very interesting, I have read many posts of people who have contributed valuable information through their knowledge and designs, soon go up for more details of my first simulator on the mechanism for now I have only the main structure........ I have in mind several ideas for the development of the moving platform, but it is no more the same used hardwares for you such as: arduino UNO, Monster H-Bridge Moto Shield, a pair of wiper motors. I have not downloaded the SimTools to test and learn about the software, no more to say thank you very much to all and especially Race Ray for creating this space.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    12v 200 watt big worm gear motors and jrks.
  10. nicolas

nicolas New Member

Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello everyboy,
    My name is Nicolas, from Seville, Spain.
    I am a new comer to this world of motion simulation, but I have some skills in electronics, so I hope it won't be very hard to start building my first project.
    It will be a 2 DOF dynamic PlaySeat, with Arduino and Moto-Monster cards.
    For now, I am getting the wiper motors up and runing with the potentiometers, and getting familiar with the SimTools and the Arduino Code.
    I expect to come back to you very soon with some results to post.
    Thanks for this outstanding web site.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Dreamon

Dreamon New Member

Balance:
    435Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi There,
    I am new to the community and currently do not have a computer or seat. I am interested in a low cost 2 DOF seat and starting a racing career in iRacing. I have a mechanical engineering background but I do not have that much experience with electronics or motion control. I am in the planning stage, so I am looking for ideas.

I look forward to the process and working with the experienced users in the community. Thank you.
  12. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @Dreamon and welcome to the forum!
    The jrks are really easy to set-up: three wires to connect the potentiometer, an USB cable to connect to the PC (and SimTools), 2 wires for 12 VIN and 12 VOUT. There is a lot of documentation in the forum here about how to set them up.
    You can buy them here: http://www.pololu.com/product/1393. 1 jrk for each motor/axis.

For the motors you either take two 1'000kg winches or motors similar to these.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Raulmerlos

Raulmerlos Member

Mecanico maquinaria calzado
    Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Hola, me llamo Raúl soy nuevo en este mundo de los simuladores y lo poco que he leído me ha enganchado a este tema, bueno siento mucho no saber inglés y mandaros un saludo.:thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NjMotion

NjMotion Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    Bienvenido Raúl.
    Yo tampoco se ingés pero aqui es el idioma oficial asi que a traducir con google aunque sea un rollo.;)

Neither is English but here is the official language, so with google translate even a roll.;)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, SimforceGT
    Hi everyone,
    New member here...I've been lurking for a few days and it seems like a great community!
    My dad was a pilot when I was a kid so I have been into planes my entire life! I flew R/C as a teenager and most recently have gotten back into the hobby flying FPV (First Person View). Its a real thrill. For those times I can't fly outside though, I would love to build a full motion flight sim. Space and cost limitations will probably limit me to 2DOF for now, but I think that will still be great! I already have FSX and have several arduino projects under my belt so I am thinking about building a joyrider with gear motors, arduino and the Pololu dual VNH5019 shield. First question: I am perfectly comfortable with arduino...but is there any other reason to consider the JRKs instead?

@Kaleb - sounds like we may be building something very similar! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks!
    JBoogie
  16. Kalab

Kalab New Member

Safety Manager
    Balance:
    304Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @JBoogie I will start posting pics when the project gets out of the planning stage. For now though, it would be really good if you could get your progress in front of me so I can just start copying your work :grin because it sounds like you are a lot smarter than I am.
  17. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    smarter? probably just older! :)
  18. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I bought the pdf joyrider plans from acesim.com...thats about the extent of my progress! haha!
  19. Kalab

Kalab New Member

Safety Manager
    Balance:
    304Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @JBoogie Perhaps older; I am 32 yrs old. I also have the plans from acesim.com, they are very good. I am hesitating to start building becuase I want to make sure I have room from the chain cogs I am going to use to rotate on pivot points aswell as the position sensors.

What can I use for potentiometers or position sensors with JRKs? I need 90 degrees for this type of build? Has anyone ever tried to use the steering wheel controller? In my case it will be a saitek brand flight yoke but it should have some sort of potentiometer type device already onboard. I also consider what ever I purchase being mounted to the yoke rather than at the pivot points. Is that a good idea or bad?
  20. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Kalab with the Jrk , you can set the max and min position easily in the Jrk software but in turn best practice is to use as much travel as possible.
    Using rc gears can help this if using 90 deg you need a 4:1 ratio for full pot travel, but because most single turn pots are 270 deg you will get a little less. This also can be done with a couple of wood pulleys you can make and a belt.
    Bad idea as you want the pot to feedback the position of the frame to the jrk so it knows how to act when a new target appears.

Welcome @JBoogie , I too have a joyrider but no motion on it yet stuck playing with racing sims, must get back to flight.
    The Jrk offers a good solution for controlling 12v motor up to 30amp, with a heatsink and cooling, its a H bridge and micro controller in one and has been tested intensely , I have been personally building with them since 2009, now because of ease of wiring and ease of setting the driver up with the software Pololu provides they can be a good choice for a beginner, they are of quality , you get what ya pay for.
    jrk to wiper wireup.jpg