1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My First DIY 2DOF Projcet "246"

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Kevin thee Bajan, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kevin thee Bajan

Kevin thee Bajan New Member

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everyone,

First off big Thanks to the many people around the community for providing tons of informative information required to help me try to achieve may goal.

The Idea

The idea of building a motion simulator came from seeing many diy projects across youtube and some sim racing forums. After seeing so a large number of motion units I fell in love with the unit of Tommy06, with that design it look's simple and it does not takes much to make me happy :). Seeing this has gotten the creative juices flowing as I'm capable in fabrication, really happy that Google is round so I decided to do search for DIY Motion Simulators and here I'm today (Icing on the cake) that search provided a page with the works of RacingMat walk around which has proven to very beneficial in given me the Inspiration to push myself. Thanks RM for you continuous help.

Direction

I have chosen to use the Arduino UNO board, Moto Monster and the HP DSP-600pb power supply. As I currently don't have a consistent job right now I'm going to use 2 wiper motors 12v, and when more monies come my way I will purchase a set of worm gear beasts recommend by (Eaorobbie). I have to get 2 potentiometers, some wires and maybe some other little things nuts and bolts etc.

Software

Arduino IDE ver 1.0.5 and Sim Tool

With the downloads completed I have gotten both software install now an looks to be working

Well today is the last day of the year here on this side for the world an I just got the power supply today after ordering it about 3 weeks ago :), so out goes 2013 and in comes 2014 hoping to have a Awesome start to the new year.

A very blessed and prosperous new year to the X Simulator Community

Parts

Christmas Day Presents
    IMG_3014[1].JPG

Arduino before 2dof software installed
    IMG_3016[1].JPG

All ordered Parts Here
    IMG_3027[1].JPG
    • Like Like x 6
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Wipers will get you moving if your sim is all balanced nicely, should last long enough if you dont wind the motion up to the extremes its capable of, or the internal gearing will eventually wear, and again I can not stress this enough,
    wipers have a gnd connected to the body of the wiper if you do not mod or remove this the frame will become live with 12v's and because pots gnd the earth to the body as std the 12v will travel through the pot to the motor driver gnds and because on most usb devices , the Usb ground is interconnected too and you end up frying the usb controller on the pc's motherboard, or worse the controller of an expensive steering wheel.
    Please be ultra careful using wipers, This is why I don't recommend them, seen too many destroy too much. Plus most wipers don't have the same speeds as each other.
  3. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not all Wipermotors are grounded to the body, you have to measure it before. My old Wipermotors wasn`t grounded to the body. Now i`m updating my Simulator with 2 big worm gear motors (12V , 15A, 180W, 177rpM)
    If you have different Speed, you can influnce that whith the Kp-Settings for each motor. That was possible with the AMC-board, don`t now if this possible with the SimAxe Motion Controller too?.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Does the car manufacture has a lot to do with this ground design problem?

My country mostly use Japaneses vehicles hope that is not a problem, but I was thinking of getting myself motors from the "Ford Explorer"

But if I do come across the gnd connected body type, is there any documentation on how to remove/reposition it?
  5. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    @Michael N. Thanks for providing some info on the isolating of the motors, after reading the post I saw a photo of a AE101 wiper motor which I my case that is either/or a Toyota Levin or a GT Corolla 93-95 models, and quite attainable here in my little Island :thumbs :cheers:);):);):D:thumbs
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    test the wipers regardless, spending 30 mins testing to see if they are grounded to the case is better than blowing the control boards and or the pc.
    As for earth isolating, depends on the wiper, sometimes a rewire or finding the wire going to the earth of the case can be changed, sometimes it means pulling apart the motor and hacking the inside.
    I know wipers are cheap, Ive been through heaps, but since going to big worm gear motors, which are already earth isolated, they have saved me more time than the extra money spent.
  8. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    IMG_3128[1].JPG
    Finally bought me (1) length of 1" tube for the rear section of the motion chassis, going to do some cutting and welding today :)
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. Ramok

Ramok Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,130Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hello
    In the picture I see that you have three circuit boards, can you tell me name of boards.
    Thank you
    Greetings
  10. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Ramok His using a Arduino R3 and Monster Moto Driver to control 2 wipers. All in his first post.
  11. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Ok all so it has been a little time since posting progress. Thanks @eaorobbie for helping out on the post while I was away ;)

Here are a couple of photos of the project 246

Items
    Old exercise device, 20' of 1" tube, steering swivel .....

IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3146.JPG IMG_3148.JPG IMG_3149.JPG IMG_3151.JPG IMG_3152.JPG IMG_3155.JPG IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3160.JPG IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3176.JPG IMG_3177.JPG IMG_3178.JPG IMG_3181.JPG IMG_3182.JPG IMG_3184.JPG IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3190.JPG IMG_3191.JPG IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3201.JPG IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3206.JPG IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3209.JPG IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3211.JPG IMG_3223.JPG IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3227.JPG IMG_3230.JPG IMG_3231.JPG IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3236.JPG IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3240.JPG IMG_3241.JPG

Due to not owning a rig before I decided to build a complete unit :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Cutting by hand is not fun at all :( but it makes the finish job worth cherishing more:cheers
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Wow I love that back support style ... Great progress indeed :thumbs...
    If I may suggest, give it a little backward bend to make more room for the chair if not well seated ...
    And you have more followers now :popcorn... you may have some and get back to work .:grin
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I agree, having and angle behind the seat lets you make the sleds overall size smaller. I did the same thing. I made mine at a right angle, found that it does not work well like that and then cut it apart and made it at an angle to fit the chair.

Overall well done!
  15. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the extra insight every little bit of information counts :thumbs
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Kevin thee Bajan one quick thing , I might be seeing wrong thou, the pivot point is close to the base of the chair because if it is not the weight and resulting motion will be an issue later. The further away the centre of the pivot is from the cg of the rig will cause your motors to work very hard. Pivot needs to be as close as possible to the base of the chair.
    How did you work the balance point out, I would suggest building the top part completely and placing everything on the top part, as in wheel, pedals, keyboard, etc and placing a round object under the the rig with you sitting in it to find the exact place the rig will balance at, this point is where the centre of you uni needs to be and as close to the bottom of the seat. All done to get the best out of your motors and H Bridge. The more balanced it is the better the resulting motion will be.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Loving all the pictures. Im looking at starting my build in about a week.
  18. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello Kevin, I am also using an Arduino Uno and a Monster Moto Shield. Do you have a wiring diagram for these ? also how did you set the SimTools game Engine up? in the Interface settings ?

Regards Nath