1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Power Supply

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Kevin thee Bajan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Kevin thee Bajan

Kevin thee Bajan New Member

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

This is going to be my first time attempting to build such a lager project in creating a motion simulator.

My question is would this power supply be good enough for me to use with (2) wiper motors and the Motormonster Board+Arduino board

Also would you recommend purchasing any of these produce from this store to make my 2dof

Would these actuators be fast enough

Regard
    KC

Asking question is a good way to find out, than being unsure and unsafe
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actuators are too slow, you need at least 150mm travel per second.
    Power supply it doesnt show much about details like current output, are you planning to use 24v motors? If so , please stay away from wipers and buy some good 24v motors that have better speed http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html
    The actuator debate forever continues, you need fast, strong and reliable. Fast being 150mm or more throw per second, strong being 100% duty cycle, reliable being able to replace parts in it if it breaks. That site doesnt look like it has anything like that.
    As for your planned design, do you have something in mind?
    Cheers, David
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you need an actuator that can move like this, and no I cannot get more so dont ask, the video is for example purposes only.
    You can use SCN5, SCN 6 actuators, but all up they are near $700 each, hence the suggestion for DC motors. A lot cheaper, a bit fiddly to set up.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Agree actuators are way to slow and from memory not very strong at all.
    For two wipers , as a start for testing I would use a 12V DC Battery and a charger connected to it, cheap way to get moving while looking for bits, recommend a 12-13.8V DC power supply that can feed a constant 45amps as the Monster Moto Driver will draw that when both motors change direction quickly.
    Ebay specials have proven to be alright. lol I still use a 50amp/hr DC Battery and trickle charger on mine.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Great actuator, makes me jealous. And no i will not ask you where to get them or what their exact name is:)
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yea @bsft is a lucky find, maybe something for fellow sim builders to look out for in salvage yards, 240v/110v Actuators that have blown motors, retool them like @bfst has done with 12v or maybe 24v motors for some lovely units. Im jealous too.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    @baft

Thanks you for your help so far everyone :)

Mostly I'm not look to do anything to crazy yet as I'm really new to this I want to get a basic understanding of how the different motion simulators works, baby steps first.

I have seen a post of a gentleman's rig which looks kind of simple/cool/fun to build, for me I'm able to do the metal fabrication need to the chassis, as for the electronic its a bit beyond me, and this is the design I want to go with for the next few years.

For the motors I'm limited on cash flow for now but I was wondering if I can still use wiper motors (Earlier Intentions) and next year when I get a job I would order the Worm Drive Motor Which would still retain the bolting location of those wiper motors.

Regards
    KC

9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes you can use wipers, just make sure they are earth isloated
    testing motor.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as you are looking at using ard and monster board, you need to decide whether you are going 12 or 24v, hence the right h-bridge and also if the h-bridge is going to be powerful enough to drive the motors.
    I can see no specs on motors like RPM at shaft speed or current drain at rated , so not much I can suggest here. You would need to ask the supplier for more details on the motors.
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    These motors are 24v and are not suited to the Monster Moto which is 12v only.
    They can drive them but not very efficiently with only half the power needed.
  13. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Parts seem to be taking forever:(
  14. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yea sucks its near Christmas so a lot of mail specially here in Australia slows down badly.
  15. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    :) So after a month or 2 my boards have finally arrived and are in the post office :) I'm hoping to collect them tomorrow as early as possible. The power supply should hopeful be here early January, Oh how I can't wait to get my project going.

Soon! Soon! Soon!
  16. Kevin thee Bajan

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Finally I have my boards in my hand :) Power supply were are you ;)