1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Ashraf

Ashraf Member

Balance:
    1,034Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    My name is Ashraf, I'm from Jordan,
    - my project is 3DOF motion simulator (hydraulic), if someone interested more information, diagramms etc. I'll send later....
    - nice to meet a simulator community :cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    you found the right place: welcome Ashraf!
    yes, we are interested of course! ;)

Could you please start by telling us what has led you to hydraulic rather than electric? as hydraulic is very rare in DIY simulator.

yours
    Mat
  3. Ashraf

Ashraf Member

Balance:
    1,034Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I just have access to all kinds of hydraulic pumps, valves, cylinders, etc. :thumbs
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good.
  5. Ashraf

Ashraf Member

Balance:
    1,034Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    - Now carefully read the instructions, and guided where to put a bunch of questions ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. joco81

joco81 New Member

Balance:
    317Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Welcome to the Forum...
  7. darksky13

darksky13 New Member

Balance:
    458Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF
    Hi All,

I'm really happy to join you on this wonderfull site :eek:)

my project is to make a 3 dof DIY simulator based on arduino.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome and no worries, we can sort you out.
    On another note, doesnt anyone like JRKS anymore :(
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    read instructions.....something I must do....
  10. Ashraf

Ashraf Member

Balance:
    1,034Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I apologize for the misunderstanding, I use http://translate.google.com/
    I had in mind: - I reading instructions & topics, to ask my questions in the right place :cheers
    Thank you all for your hospitality :cheers
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no worries
  12. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    To use a Jrk is a little more expensive but from what we know they produce a lot faster and more accurate motion than the Ard can achieve. Basically the let down in the Ard that it is only 8 bit (lost in the 80's) and the JRK uses 12 bit a lot smoother resolution for the motion, they don't compare at all. Plus 1001 less headaches for the end user, to me Ard is only fast enough for dashboards but that's my personal opinion after using them for the past 2 years.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  13. darksky13

darksky13 New Member

Balance:
    458Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF
    Thanks for the informations about JRK and Arduino diffs.

For this time, i need first to construct the mecanical part of the sim after that, i will chose one of the both solutions.

Regards
    • Like Like x 1
  14. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Ann this may be handy for a few guys developing controllers at the moment,
    Welcome.
  15. luca_schr

luca_schr New Member

School
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everybody! My name is Luca and I am from Germany.
    I knew about this site and the one before already a little longer, but I've always been lurking..
    I managed to get a Digital Dash with the TM1638 and an Arduino Nano v3 running for LFS, rFactor and some other Game.
    Now My plan ist, to build a little authentic replica of a BMW E36 Interior. I already got 2 Seats and a gauge, but I still need many parts for it to be finished.
    I will also start a project thread when it come to the build.
    I'm not planning to do a 3DOF Simulator, but maybe I'll change my mind soon ;)

Thanks for this cool platform!
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Kevin thee Bajan

Kevin thee Bajan New Member

Balance:
    929Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Kevin, I live in Barbados "an Island the Caribbean sea".
    Well I want to say thank you all for have a awesome site for may of the DIY guys out there, that are in to Simulators.
    I want to be the first person in my country/region to have a DIY simulator, currently I do mostly Sim Racing and I do really enjoy it.

Its a few weeks before December and I will like to order my part to build a 2DOF system with the Arduino unit.
    Look forward to this project greatly.

Thanks for making this Site
  17. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Welcome Kevin, plenty of info to be found on setting up an Ard, but for a first timer if you have no knowledge of using Micro controllers I would have to recommend the Jrk 12v12's , cost a little more but very simply and fast to set up.
    Our Arduino guys have been growing strong numbers and are welcome here always.
    Start a build post mate get your ideas down and the member will over there guidance pretty quickly, have fun.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    Hello people, I've started with simulator building a year ago and I saw that X-Sim was the best software to use at the time, so I wanted to use the latest one and became part of XSim3 community. I was confused of X-Sim having two forums but soon enough I realized that issues presumed and community were split. Over there I've met some nice people willing to help and their projects where I eventually decide to build one of my own simulators.

My first try were wipers with K8055 + Sabertooth 2v12 and it was pretty much success. I have learned a lot by building it, much more than I thought I would need to and I was pretty impressed with all that stuff, considering that I am no electrician at all, so breaking a wiper motor apart and isolating the ground was science fiction for me, but after I successfully did that, I was pretty happy.

[​IMG]

After that I wanted a bit more and decided to go with JRK's and bigger motors, I've chose big ZYT90 motors from Motion Control Products (UK), the were pretty powerful comparing to wipers and the Floriske had the same ones for his sim, so I though it will work. Unfortunately, I had bad luck, I couldn't make those motors work with JRK's, no matter what. First the motors where under my seat, after that I did new frame and put the motor back with shoulder mount, same thing, JRK's giving me a lot of errors. I could get it working only if I make the motors very slow, even much slower than wipers, but that was not acceptable to me, what's the point of that.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So my third luck was getting back to wipers, I got two new ones, have isolated them, put them back instead of big motors and it is working just fine, not a single JRK error, incredible. So I guess those big motors where a tad too strong for JRKs, on the ebay page they were rated as 12v, 250W, 5000 RPM with 25/1 gearbox (200RPM), but on their official page in PDF specs they were rated as 400W with current peaks to 50A.

This is my current setup for which I will do a project page eventually:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The one reason I am here is because I like SimTools, I have tried it, liked the look of it, easiness of use and setup, it's just great!
    The second reason I'm here is because some of the guys I've liked switched (back) here, MotionDave and BobBuilt helped me a lot, especially with JRK's and I was just disappointed when they left, especially cause BobBuilt (is that you eaorobbie?) removed his posts which were also in my project so all the good informations was lost. But I understand their decision, it is not easy when you're trying to make something better and you get no credit for it, even so, you're being pushed down.

Well, I'm sorry for making this too long, didn't know it will be like that :)
    • Like Like x 2
  19. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi @prodigy
    and welcome home ;)
    I also had continuously "connection lost"-issues before but @yobuddy spent a lot of time sorting out the communication between SimTools and the JRK's. I have not had such issues anymore. Gone. Full stop.
    So although it might means some work, have a try with SimTools, JRK's and your ZYT90's. It could be worth it :)
    • Like Like x 2
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Prodigy, I have been lurking and seeing the issues you have had on the "other" forum. JRKS work just fine with the big motors, and I suspect the "help" you had been getting was no help at all.
    The motors are not too strong for the JRKS and they do take a bit of PID settings. Plenty of us run them and I have run my aussie versions at nearly 40 amps continuous (500 watts) and they worked perfectly. Since then they do not have to be run that hard. We can advise here on setting them up best if you plan to refit them.

And yes, having simtools around has had things a LOT easier for everyone here.
    All hail Yobuddy and the team behind Simtools.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013