1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Professional Simulator in Australia

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by stowaway, Feb 23, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just saw this on EBAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOzyqhhK ... re=related

looks pretty good 2 DOF system.. Cheap for a Professional build too.. Only $6000. (but that doesnt include the computer and monitors i dont think)
  2. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ask Eaorobbie about ckas systems.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Yeh I remember robbie sayin that first one was crap the 2 dof wooden one underpower etc etc. It looks ok in the video

The second one looks very hard core and the one to go for in a build however i dont think mechanical springs are the way to go while trying to be efficent and using motors available on a budget. Think counterbalance and as little friction as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are you suggesting a pneumatic spring?

Where would I get one and what exactly are they? Im googling now..
  7. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just finished my google search and called a company about a Pneumatic Spring.

http://www.lifteasy.com/

They can do it for approx $45! thats cheaper than my $300 spring!! Wahoo.. this may be the way to go.
    Ill update with exact price when they look at my exact requirements.
  8. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    The good thing about gas springs is they have the same force resistance all the way throughout the range unlike a mechanical spring.
    mechanical spring require more force as they compress further, imagine what thats going to do to your motors at full extent, MORE AMPS , LESS SPEED RETURNED.

Okey there is a down side to gas spring they dont last very long but can last longer if mounted with the least amount of indirect force like actuators. You also want to go for a fast or quick gas spring as you will not need a progressive resistance these will also last longer.

http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk/updoc/gas_spring_overview.pdf
  9. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive emailed the company the specifications so hopefully they'll get back to me with the best method.

But when you say they dont last as long, How long are you talking?

Can they just be regassed to fix them?
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may have to speak to the company supplying them, and tell them what you are doing, so they may be able to advise.
    These sims we build and the motors, boards, etc are not used for their intended purpose. We push all components hard.
  11. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    mmm I am not too sure if these pneumatic spring are the best choice.. I fear about the speed of response when the spring is pressed and/or when is released too.
    The good point of standard spring is that their response is immediate, no air or other components slowing the response.

I never see a 3dof using these pneumatic springs. Maybe I am wrong, it's just a fear about. So please, check the speed of response of this spring before make the order!!
  12. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am waiting on responses from a customized spring shop (mechanical) and a gas spring shop

I explained the requirements as well as showed them aldoz youtube.. So ill see what they come back with and post my findings
  13. omniatlas

omniatlas New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, also interested in creating a similar CKAS or platform motion sim for flight simulator. New to the whole scene, where do I start? I am also situated in Australia and CKAS have quoted me 6000 for their 2DOF system.
  14. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    And its lousy, you can beat it with DC motors, and more easy to build unless you want their big useless platform.Plus beware there software sux and only runs on their system. And is not in the overall cost, thats another cost by itself.
  15. glenche

glenche DarkMan

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Ive been aware of the ckas sf for a while now.
    For professional/commercial sims perhaps but...for a personal one, no way.
    I agree with rob. its huge, ugly and overpowered with huge ac motors and needs a huge area.
    I much prefer min anyday and twice on Sundays. Small, light and portsble.
    Btw, its been a huge secret since its design about 6 years ago but rob is working on getting the first vid on the site.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yar, its quite a ride. woohoo!
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.acesim.com/main.html one of these would do the job very well, build from PN18 or class 18 PVC pipe, whack big dc motors on the corners , use the Pololu JRK 12v12 and you are off, well, not quite that simple. But cheaper than $6000.
  18. glenche

glenche DarkMan

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    a chich-load cheaper :)
  19. omniatlas

omniatlas New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Earobbie - could you please recommend what would be the best way to built a platform? I would like to minimise cost so would like to build a 2DOF but can also emulate 'heave' - would servo motors be the best choice?

I would like to put a flight deck onto the platform so we would be talking about a 500 kg load, similar to the motionforsimulator http://motionforsimulators.com build, however they have quote me a price of 26000 euro. This is their platform in motion with a jetmax cockpit

Whats my power bill going to be like if I build one of these babies?
  20. omniatlas

omniatlas New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can this setup be adapted for a platform? I'm i. The progress of building a flightdeck.

[​IMG]

Cheers.