1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

questions regarding best software to use for 3DOF build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by rt45433, Sep 18, 2013.

1. rt45433

rt45433 New Member

Balance:
    291Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi there,

I am new to this site but have a few questions regarding ready made simulators you can buy online or going the DIY route.

So I first started looking at these two simulators. They cost $22,500 and $45,000

http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/completesimulators/stage5racingsimulator.aspx
    http://www.cxcsimulations.com/purchase/configurator/europe/2/

I would really appreciate any thoughts form anyone who has had experience in any of these products.

Why are these so expensive compared to a DIY option?
    Are these better than a DIY build and if so why?
    Is the software they use more realistic than x sim or sim tools?

Basically I have a budget of about £6000 not including the triple screen setup and computer. I would like the most realistic racing sim for my money. I don't mind going down the DIY route if it will benefit me.

I would like to use SCN6 actuators as what i have read is they offer a better feel. I would also like a rear traction loss. One of the companies above (simxperience.com) sell a starter kit which is some SCN6 actuators and their sim commander 3 software. (would this software be better than xsim or simtools?)

Any advice or guidance would be great. i don't want to start anything until I have had some advice from a seasoned pro as leaning from others will save me an endless amount of time.

I dont mind documenting the whole process when i get started to upload for anyone on here.
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Ok 3dof with a heave, ie 2DOF covering roll, pitch, sway, surge and simulating heave. Then add a third axis to capture the sway for a rear traction loss setup.
    All can be done for under $1000 dollars with card that are off the shelf , Jrk12v12 on Big Worm Gear motors.
    And can be used with our new software.
    Example of a 2Dof Seat mover built for $600 (Chair piece only) that can be adapted to any static sim, just needs a yaw table under the whole unit and you have 3dof for a fraction of the cost and its all 12v electronics, defiantly a DIY option anyone can build.

Cross Section of Seat Mover.png

P.s this could be done for scn5 too, but triple the price.
  3. rt45433

rt45433 New Member

Balance:
    291Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks for the reply eaorobbie.

Thats the setup I think that would work best. Start with a 2DOF seat frame setup then add the traction loss by using a yaw table underneath.

If there any difference from using scn5's to scn6's?

Also is there any disadvantages of using your software instead of the software from say simxperience? (I would like a very realistic driving sim if possible)

When you say using your new software, Where would i get this software from and whats it called?

Thanks for the help so far.
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Ok Simxperience is a very good system, and is commercial, software here has been developed to be used by use DIY guys, a replacement for the aging software we use from another site. There is a post where you can ask to be included in the beta test, but by the time your ready hopefully we would have released this to the public.

Ok scn6 can handle a greater load and are a little slower, they push the 200mm/s mark when loaded on a sim, my dc motors are pushing way past that speed.
  5. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    It's called Simtools !
    :)

You may send a PM to Raceray to apply to beta testing
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I am starting my build, AC Platform....already had the "other software" - but reading and pm's with yobuddy, I've scrapped that direction -
    SimTools is now my direction.
  7. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I thought that Simxperience was proprietary in that it only worked with the controller sold by that company? I might be wrong though. I did not think you could do DIY with their motion software.

I did buy SimVibe from them for adding vibration feedback into your sim and although it is a nice program there are too few games supported and almost none are flight sims :(

But I admit, if the wife would like me mortgage the farm I might buy a complete system ;)
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome rt45433
  9. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins