1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

aarondc's nDOF rig

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by aarondc, Jun 13, 2013.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    computer plays game - motion software reads data from game - sends data to controller - controller sends data to h-bridge - h-bridge moves motor/actuator - feedback on motor/actuator tells controller what is is doing during game.
    Something like that.
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    yes with xsim this scenario was really needed as a lot of games didn't like alt tabing or with xsim running and game in window ya needed some grunt. So as I have done in the past had a game machine running the game with the sender app , exporting the game details to the profiler via the network and then running my jrks or what ever I needed ie dashboard or Rc Model from that, My game machine was AMDx6 and profile machine was a 1.7G (old) laptop.
    Worked nicely, with the new software Dustin has keep the resource useage to a Min, Top job on that, I haven't had any reports that a second pc is needed or warrented, Maybe to setup live profile adjustment might be nice, as this can be done now. Truth once you have Sim Tools up and running not much fiddling if any is needed.

And yes your last statement is correct the game plugin exports the data to the game engine port then via uso or net now the game engine sends the data to the controller.
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Exactly ! That's how my setup is working

[​IMG]

and the microcontroller process the data and perform the retroaction loop

Like eaorobbie said, it's more comfortable : no Alt+Tab, for tuning the system !
  4. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    187Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    First step for me will be to build a prototype of a motion sim.

So before I win the award for the longest build thread that contains no actual build news, I would like to quietly announce that I bought a bunch of model sized servos, universal joints, push rods and ball joints from Ebay / hobbyking tonight.

Now to get me some other bits and pieces...
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    How did your model go, be good to see your own code in action, Big Smiles to be had.
    Picture coming ?
  6. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    187Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So I have ordered the servos, etc, for the model, as mentioned above.
    And today I ordered the micro to run the model.

Now it's a waiting game - my first foray into EBay Chinese micro sellers. Could be a few weeks before everything arrives, then a couple of weeks to set it up.

Then videos and/or pics.
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Bugger hope you didn't order from dxextreme took 6 weeks. Hence now I many source local.
  8. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    187Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    From Ebay.
  9. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Don´t think that it last much time. Most chinese ebay dealers are incredible fast and the shippingcosts are only a fraction of that what i pay to european dealers. I got my stuff often 5-7 days after ordering. (from germany).

Good luck:)
  10. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    At DX.com, first I had to wait 2 months for my motomonster...
    but for my second order, I received it within 1 week !

Could you please post your URL links for the universal joints, push rods and ball joints you chose ?
    it's always interesting to see what others have found ! and sometimes nice to do the same ! ;-)
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I need to order more dash leds , cheers RacingMat that's reassuring that the next order might not take as long.
  12. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    187Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    dx.com have sent my orders in multiple packages, spaced out by around a week each, but at least something is on its way. futurlec.com have good prices but no communication and don't send anything until it's all there - I cancelled my only order with them recently.

Sure thing. This is for model-sized, not life sized.

Universal joints: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FKO-Universa ... 0935107061?
    Ball joints: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=13099 - there are cheaper plastic ones but I want to take photos and video, so having blue ball joints will look better. Shiny!
    Cheap servos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=9549
    Push rods: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=40730

I've never made a model like this before, so the sizes, etc, were complete guesses. Could be the wrong size. Going to learn.
  13. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    187Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Imagine how much more I would post if I didn't have to log in each time....

Anyway. The ball joints I ordered are much bigger than the horn that comes with the very small TG9e servos, so I ordered some that are a bit smaller, as well as smaller shafts.

I have no model things either, so I have ordered some model cars and planes so I can stick something on the simulator rather than a blank shape or something. Then I got more ideas. And then looked at other models and got even more ideas.

What we need, I reckon, is a video of someone racing a car, and another video of someone flying an aircraft. With both videos, would be the simtools axis stream, stored in a text file. That way, someone could set up a serial monitor, play the video on their computer, while sending the simtool stream to their prototype, and see the prototype reacting to the simtool commands, and see if it meshes with the video of the car / plane movement.

Spoken by someone who has no games. :-(

It's like a unit test for simtool / prototype development.

So things are still happening, just slowly, as I wait for things to arrive.
  14. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    What I did was driving up and down a hill – well, not really in a racing car but anyway – measured the movements (acceleartion and rotation in 3D), took some video in parallel. Because the same road is available in very good Quality in rFactor, I have been able to compear the game telemetry data with the real measurements.
    See post here.
    Since Megaupload is history the data is no longer available in the post. If you insist, I can repost ;D
    T.
  15. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    187Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's not a motion platform.

This is a motion platform...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJaSAtv0l0
  16. bsft

bsft