1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Present my project needs info

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by poman, Oct 28, 2012.

1. poman

poman Active Member

Balance:
    154Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    dansim1.pdf
    IMG_9607.jpg
    IMG_9606.jpg

Hi All !!
    Here is my rig, i play in 3d on a projector that puts 90 inches across with surround sound and subwoofer under my seat which gives me a great feeling, i just bought a T500RS and shifter which is great!! Now i just need to feel the road, i already have acquired 2 wiper motors from a friend and a U-joint for a pivot point.

I have been reading for a while, now i know what i want and need info to make sure i start right. What i am looking for is to feel the bumps and elevation change, also want to feel when i change gear, rumble strips, brake and accelerate, what i dont want is to lean on the side first because my rig is a bit tight due to the gold tube that holds the shifter and handbrake, and i dont want the wheel to move away from me because my intentions are to have only the car seat to move separate to the rest of my rig, i would just like to have small movements, maybe like d-box. I have tought of moving my pivot point more in the front a bit, like underneath the pedals or around there to feel the elevation changes, but i think it will be wrong to feel the other stuff...looking for feedback on this point.

dansim1.pdf
    dansim2.pdf

What i found so far is that i will use the JRK 12v12(2x) for motor drive with 5k ohms pot for feedback, what i wonder is, do i need two separate 12v power supply for each JRK and how many amps each, if only one is required for both driver(JRK) and i can wire them in parallel, how many amps i need it to deliver? i intend to buy that here(see the address)...anyone can tell me which one would i need?
    http://www.abra-electronics.com/categor ... -Supplies/
    Also as far as hardware, i know mcmaster-carr site from my work, and i saw before the part with 2 eyebolts attached together with a rectangular piece that you can turn to adjust lenght, and i cant find it anymore?? here is what i found: http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=jx0y1y
    As you saw my rig is in my living room, so my intention is to kind of hide all the mecanics and electronics underneat my seat and put the motors in a closed area that i can isolate the sounds, so my next question is, do i need to put an heatsink over the JRK drivers with a cooling fan, same question applies to the wiper motors? i know i can mount the motor drivers outside as they dont make noise, but the motors do :)
    I also wonder if i am missing something, like other electric stuff, i saw a lot of guys using all sorts of electronics boards...it seems simple to me, but i wonder :)

TKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!

Attached Files:

2. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    hello freind
    nice setup,
    and many question that i can answer a few,if u have already 2 wiper motors
    you can just use one 12 v and at least 25 amps power supply for both motors
    and about movement
    all of these are available here arround and u are in a right place by searching other projects.
    and get some information about great X-sim software
    good luck
  3. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,506Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    I would recommend one or two PSU with 30A . Your wiper motors will probably pull like 15 -20 A each, so one PSU might be borderline but you can try and buy the second one if 1 unit is not enough.
    If you stay with the wiper motors I recommend the AB-27, if you can afford the AB-27-PM with volt/amps display.
    Yes, put an heatsink over the big chip on the JRK drivers with a cooling fan. Pololu specifies continuous output of 12 A. You will easily be over that with a simulator - especially if you find that you need the two PSUs to have enough power. A heatsink and fan will prevent damage when operating at continuous output of 20 A or even more. The motors typically don't need extra cooling.
    With the jrk's it IS that simple as they are motor controllers all inclusive: High-A motor driver, USB interface, closed-loop feedback and position control. The fact that they have all the necessary parts included is exactly the beauty of the jrk's.
  4. poman

poman Active Member

Balance:
    154Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Tks a lot guys!!
    I tought so for the heatsink, do you guys recommend a place where i can buy one that fit perfectly?
    Also on the power supply, do you think it is a decent price(canadian dollars) , or you recommend a place where it would be cheaper but still good enough! i dont know a lot of internet stores :)
    Also, what would be the equivalent in other brands, like Arduino??
    tks again :)
  5. poman

poman Active Member

Balance:
    154Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Here is a few pics to were i stand right now, been assembling all the electric parts into an old pc casing...tested the jrk util, solved a ground problem with always nice help from BSFT(David Lane), i will be looking for infos on x-sim soft to understand how it works, then on to finishing the assembly and put it under my rig in a nicely clean installation :) i will have to cut the wooden platform in the seat part to make it wider so seat doesnt bang with sides, lateral movements will be subtil only cause of gold tube that holds shifter and handbrake for rally :) so no big g-force here, i am looking more to have Frex like movements, i just hope that wiper motors will hold a bit more weight than myself, i am 150 pounds, got some friends that weight more than me :)

Attached Files:

6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, as my user name was mentioned, unfortunately I cannot assist you here.
    you will need to contact me via PM
    Cheers, David.
  7. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Why can you not assist/post here?
  8. poman

poman Active Member

Balance:
    154Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    HEHE!!!
    i am finally through!! got a working rig after 6 months of planning, searching, waiting for stuff to arrive, assembling and testing...WEW!!
    couldnt had it done without you guys, especially BSFT which i thank a lot again :)
    So here is afew vids to show you the Final for now version of it, i am planning on adding a 3rd DOF later (elevation), maybe next winter, and i hope to be able to add it without having to heavily modify what i have now.
    Enjoy the vids !!
    On the other hands, i am not sure why it doesnt seems to work with Dirt 3, and any of you know if it is supposed to work with Pcars ? tks