1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Design of a timing belt actuator

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by jyrki.j.koivisto, May 29, 2011.

1. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I did some calculations and assuming the 400mm up and down movement it resulted that the left and right axis points should of course be 800mm apart, in that way the 30 degrees would be when other axis is all the way down and the other all the way up. I'm not sure if that is the same on the real Force Dynamics sim.

I also calculated that there has to be ~25mm from the axis to the frame so the swivel point won't bind to the frame (I need to checkit though)

Back bearing should be then 400mm (half of that from left/right as the point of rotation is halfway) This means that the front bearing holes should go 345mm from back of the frame. For a margin of error and for other reasons the axis bearing shaft will protrude 55mm from the frame to the axis point.

Final dimensions of the frame will then be 690mm in width and some 400mm in length. I've not yeat checked how the seat will alter these calculations (it could bind to the axises)
  2. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Go Jyrki, keep up the work pace, good luck dude.
  3. jyrki.j.koivisto

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Not much progress on this sim yeat, but I've made those two front bearing holes and I've also made one aluminum bearing holder that will go inside the frame (I will need 6 of them in total) Not sure if that is the way I'll do it, I could also fit a 52mm ID tube inside...

I'm also considering to buy a TIG welder as I like the weld it produces, at the moment I only have an old Kemppi Eka stick welder. Another possibily is to get the frame tubing cut by a laser. Here where I live there's a facility that could do it http://www.hiltop.fi/putkilaser.php I'll have to ask them for the cost and make this one ready so I know where all the holes go... No CAD software has been hurt during the desing phase... :D

I'm also thinking to use bend tubing to hold the seat in the frame, two tubes would go from back of the frame to the seat mounting and one from each front arm.
  4. mrbeginner

mrbeginner Active Member Gold Contributor

What ever come in my way
    Balance:
    20Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    Hello!

If you thinking of buy tig Check this out
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/50A-PLASMA-CUTTE ... 077wt_1163

It has tig + plasma + arc welding in same product. I have bought it for plasma cutting and is awesome.
    Check in youtube with keyword ct-520

Good luck to you project!

Peter
  5. paiva27

paiva27 New Member

Balance:
    - 14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello,
    jyrki.j.koivisto, how is your project?
    what materials you used, motor, frequency inverter. specification.

Thank you!
  6. paiva27

paiva27 New Member

Balance:
    - 14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jyrki,

which card you suggest for the project 4dof?
    and how is your project?

thank you

Rafael
  7. jyrki.j.koivisto

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You would need a at least 2 computers if not doing the motion controlling in a microcontroller.

Controller doing the motion calculations don't need much calculation power if the power stages handle the motor calculations (=VFD). I can not give you an answer for your question as I plan on doing the motion calculations on a microcontroller (my motion controller gets data via LAN/WLAN or USB, I have not decided yeat)

Firts look carefully in all the VFD manuals and take a note how they can be connected to some external controller (some CNC sites could be of help)
    Most if not all accept analog voltages and digital inputs, then just parameterize the VFD for what you want the input to control (speed, torque...)
    Some VFD's can be connected to somesort of bus (profibus, modbus, rs485, rs422 and what not (bus has a broad definition here...) ) that would be much better solution as no analog signals would need to be created (can be tricky and when done badly it doesn't work as expected)

Getting the data out of x-sim is the easy part, I'm planning on building the sim frame first (hard part) If I ever get the frame build then there are plenty of options for how data is converted in to motion.
  8. paiva27

paiva27 New Member

Balance:
    - 14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Turn

Turn New Member

Balance:
    - 3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey jyrki -

Did you make any more progress on your interesting ball-screw actuator build? Curious on how far along you've gotten.
  10. jyrki.j.koivisto

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for not replying any sooner. My prject is in hold at the moment, I have no hurry with this thing... :)
  11. jyrki.j.koivisto

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I found some interest again in this little project and started thinking how to control the actuators and decided to go the wireless route.

Here's what I'm thinking: UBW32 board with usb host and in the port a Buffalo WiFi dongle. I started to port rt2x00 linux driver for it.

[img600px]http://www.netikka.net/aros-stuff/UBW32_WLAN/images/12120019.jpg[/img600px]
    [img600px]http://www.netikka.net/aros-stuff/UBW32_WLAN/images/12120020.jpg[/img600px]
    [img600px]http://www.netikka.net/aros-stuff/UBW32_WLAN/images/12120022.jpg[/img600px]
  12. patritti

patritti simracer

composite race car parts manufacturing
    Balance:
    516Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The actuator ideas are coming along well. I am still building mine with the help of a friend, so once they are done I will demo them.
    As for the other ideas, someone may have to shell out the cash to develop one.
    I spent $600 on my 2 units based off plans.
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That looks ok, but may be slow, unless they are just running them on a slider on screen for motion.
    The K8055 is slow and not really designed for racing sim use, maybe flight yes. 50ms response time I think, slow.
    The supported boards in favour is the Arduino , with a LOT of code development happening. Keep an eye out on the threads.
    Of course there is the JRK, but that is restricted to 14v and max 40 amps.