1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 noise (not the chirp)

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by museumsteve, Nov 8, 2012.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Starting to get paranoid now :D
    Can someone that runs SCN5's have a look/.listen to my video and tell me if they get the same noise. It sounds like it's small/micro movements of the actuator. It doesn't affect any motion so I dont think anything's broken but I dont know if maybe it's power supply related or perhaps even just normal.
    It will sound exaggerated in the video because the camera is right up close, but it sounds like a crackling noise.
    If have a car on track stopped, there's no noise. If i do anything to move the car it starts. Infact thinking about it it's almost like it's in sync with the cars RPM (but even when i have no RPM effect selected)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4b4hPAvuRU&feature=g-upl
  2. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Just an update...if I take a car out on the track and park somewhere in neutral, when I look at the Maths I see profiler is still receiving data, even when the car isn't moving.
  3. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Update..
    I booked an engineering firm to look at my actuators, but they were not great. After having the info for a few days before I took it into them, they then called me today to say they did not know how to power it so couldn't test it :/

Later today I emailed Mirai to see if they could assist and within maybe 10 minutes they replied about someone else who seemed to have the same noise problem (crackling) and it was power supply related. In their case they simply changed the power cord and it resolved it. It didn't help me but it made me look at other possible power issues.

One thing that did show was the power supply is giving a solid 24.1v. Where the power meets the resistors (by kill switch) it drops to 19.1v. Is this normal, I honestly wouldn't know. Should I be looking to replace the resistors?
  4. prosimu

prosimu Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 870Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -1

I think they change the internal card of the actuators: solution remove the resistor and zener diode. Then you will have your 24V! and no noise
  5. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Really? Would that be safe for the actuators? Can I do any damage?
    • Funny Funny x 1