1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF Wormgear Race Simulator by Arno

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by dearn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. dearn

dearn ArcadeWinkel.nl

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hi all!

I wanted to show my first project here, it will be 2DOF with 2 big motors (from Floriske :D ) driven by 2 Pololu's 12V12 and offcourse X-Sim. :)

I'm a beginner in the sim world, so i'm very happy to see this forum with projects and people to help me out. Also a few parts of my sim will be provided by my webshop http://www.ArcadeWinkel.nl. (sorry for spamming :oops: )

Here are some pic's first, later on i will add more information, pictures and so on. If you guys have any idea how to make things better in functionality or design, please post it here!

Grtz,
    Arno

It all started when i got an old racing sparco seat from a friend and bought an old BMW driveshaft:
    [​IMG]

Then the package from Floriske was coming in:
    [​IMG]

Nice big motors with a 1:25 gearbox:
    [​IMG]

Time for buying metal for the frame:
    [​IMG]

Positioning the center for the pivot:
    [​IMG]

Drilling and so on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fits :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not so good with welding because it's a cheap electrode machine, hope it holds
    [​IMG]

Finally, the pivot:
    [​IMG]

Then the old seat, it needs a mounting, so i made one. It will be mounted on wood.
    [​IMG]

The seat will be covered with new red and black fabric after a while
    [​IMG]

New parts arrived! :cool:
    Rod-ends
    [​IMG]

2nd hand 23 monitor.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, a brand new G27 :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

PSU's and springs that are well known on this forum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm making a custom motor mounting system from wood and metal, starting with the metal brackets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This new mounting system holds the motor up so all the weight of the motor itself will be off the gearbox:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allmost finished:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be it for now!

Grtz,
    Arno
  2. dearn

dearn ArcadeWinkel.nl

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Frame update! :D

I'm using steel square tubes for my frame that will holds te wheel and pedals. This frame will be mounted on wood later, with the option to mount it in 2 positions, close or far away from the race seat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The feedback pots arrived, these are high quality 5K pots, 10K normal pots are on there way from China at the moment. I think i will use the 5k at first.

[​IMG]

For stability the frame needs a support under the wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame isn't done yet, next step is to weld a pedal mounting and start to build a small frame for the G27 shifter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you guys like the simple design, and where would be the best place for the motors? In the back or front?

Grtz,
    Arno
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    groovy
  4. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    What are the specifics on those motors and gear box? Im using wipers currently
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. dearn

dearn ArcadeWinkel.nl

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com/pdfs/zyt-dc-motor.pdf

It's zyt90 from ebay.

Main Points:

Rated Voltage: 12v

NoLoad Speed: 5000RPM

Current (Peak): 23A

Nominal Power: 250W

D5-MA21-030
  7. dearn

dearn ArcadeWinkel.nl

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Why are these better? With the ones from ebay you can easily replace the brushes.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its only a suggestion, but they have bigger rare earth magnets, thicker wire on armature, 8mm shaft, not 6mm on motor. And I have thrashed the hell out of them with great success.
    But of course, I can only suggest.
    :cheers:
  9. dearn

dearn ArcadeWinkel.nl

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Haha ok, ok... the ebay ones have to be wired by myself, it doens't come with wires :tape:

Maybe in the future i will buy 2 of these motiondynamics for testing :)
  10. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Like I did before I once again have to disagree on that. And how do you know if the magnet size, wire thickness and shaft thickness of the ZYT-90 is less?

You keep naming ebay specials but the zyt90 isn't an ebay special it's a highly appreciated DC motor with 8mm shaft , High quality ball bearings, shaft coupler with vibration damping, pre-greased gearbox with gaskets (even between motor and gearbox) to prevent grease leakage and are sold by motioncontrolproducts a respective party in this business.

If something is sold on ebay it doesn't mean it's rubbish, in a lot of occasions it just means people don't double there purchase price but charge a fair price or it's shipped directly from china leaving out the man in the middle.

As mentioned before the Dayton motors are rebranded RP-Q-180 motors and I bet they are really great motors but I also dare to say they are no better than the ZYT-90 (mark the words: I'm not saying they are worse either!)

Sorry for being such a pain in the ass and NOFI against you or the dayton motors, but I just think your remark regarding the ZYT-90 is dead wrong and you know I've done my research. The Dayton motor simply isn't the only good motor around.

p.s. Sorry for hijacking your thread Dearn, usually I don't even post overhere, but just had to point out the above.
  11. dearn

dearn ArcadeWinkel.nl

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    More than 140> views, but only a few reactions, thats a shame....

There will be no more future updates here. If you guys are interessed you could follow my project on this page:
    http://x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=315

@Floriske,
    No problem at all. I didn't know all the details from these motors. I'm sure they would do there job pretty good.
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I never said the eBay specials motors were rubbish! Not once! I am only recommending what I believe to be good motors. You would do the same!
    I never said the eBay motors were crap! Not once!
    I am wrong about shaft size, my apologies.
    People ask what I use, I tell them.
    If thats wrong, I will shut up in future as it seems to offend people when I refer to the quality of the motors.
  13. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I'm sorry Dave, like I said: absolutely no offence intended!

I have no problems with you promoting the Dayton motors but in your remark, after someone inquiring about our motors, quoted below you actually do say they are much better (which leads to believe ours are no good) and that's why I posted my comment because I disagree.

Instead of:

You could also have said: consider these, I have great experience with them and they have proven to kick some ass!

That way it does not give the impression ours are rubbish.

Once again no offence intended! I think you are an asset to the community. In this case it's just the choice in words.

If I would have said consider the ZYT-90, they are much better than the Dayton motors you would be offended as well wouldn't you?
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0