1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Information on CKAS T2s motion platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Roadster2, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    With grateful thanks to forum postings by other members, and in particular help from lealjay (My reproduction of CKAS 2DOF Motion Platform), I have picked up a decent amount of knowledge on the CKAS T5 motion platform. Enough I think to be able to obtain suitable parts and to put a DIY version together. However, as I have limited space available I would prefer if at all possible to build a smaller motion platform along the lines of the CKAS T2s platform - http://www.ckas.com.au/2dof_low_cost_systems_50.html.

This is the same unit used on their Thruxim simulator - http://www.ckas.com.au/ckas_thruxim_52.html

Some of the information on the T2s platform can be found here (thanks again to lealjay) -
    http://www.ckas.com.au/includes/template/uploads/file/CKAS T Series Data Sheet.pdf; pages 7 (the first one) to 10.

Does anyone have any information on the AC Motors and Gearboxes used on this platform, or does anyone have access to one and could obtain the manufacturer/model details etc.

Any help appreciated.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Thanks. There is information in the first link that will prove useful, the second is lealjay's posting and I'm already in contact with him. Both of these are the larger T5 type platform though and I really need something smaller. Everything learned so far can be put to use in building a smaller T2s type platform but I need info on the motors and gearboxes that this uses as they are smaller. I'm really just hoping that one of the members has access to one of these smaller T2s platforms.

Thanks again
  4. vicpopo

vicpopo New Member

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Manufacturer : SEW Eurodrives
    Asynchrones Motor DR + Gearbox type R + SEW Inverter (Movitrac )
    Bye
  5. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi. Many thanks for that. That certainly gives me something to work on. I'll contact them and see if I can get confirmation on which model number etc.

Appreciate it.
  6. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    From the information provided by vicpopo it looks like the part number for the motor/gearbox combination is R57DRS71M4BE1. These are 0.55kW three phase 230/400/3/50 4 pole braked motors, 14rpm output from gearbox at 347Nm. Waiting for pricing on these.

Can't be sure that these are the exact motor/gearbox combination that CKAS use on the T2s platform but the specifications look to tally with those for the motor/gearboxes used on the larger platforms.
  7. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Pricing obtained but they are not cheap at £807 each. The slightly larger motors used on the larger T5 platform can be picked up new for £60-70 each. I don't know yet what the gearbox would add but I doubt very much if they are £700+ !!

Has anyone any info on a similar motor/gearbox unit from an alternative supplier ?
  8. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    14rpm would be fine for flight but too slow for race. Is there a faster speed motor listed?
  10. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I would assume so as it should be a question of selecting a gearbox with a different ratio. CKAS use the T2s motion platform on their own Thruxim simulator and the speed doesn't appear to be too bad on their video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zyqhhKTrY#!
    I'm only going on the video as I have never had the opportunity to try one or to even get up close. Other members here have made platforms similar to the larger CKAS platform and the motor/gearbox units that they use on these are the same 14rpm output.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK then, perhaps run a racing game on your current setup and see how it reacts, but to get short, sharp motion, you would need more than 14 rpm. If you can put a faster gearbox on it, then that may be the key.
    As said, load up rfactor, run a race in AI and see how it goes.
    You may prove me wrong :thbup:
  12. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    14 RPM in 50Hrz , Variator frequency can give 28 RPM in 100Hrz.
    if you want you can take more.

My simulator turn with a 16 RPM in 100 Hrz , so it give 0°/17° 0,46 seconde

if i buy news gear box, i take a 32 rpm to work in 50 Hrz
    but in my actual simulator it's better!
    with more speed the simulator give big bump , and it's dangerous...
    its difficult too see the result in a video, but you can see my youtube video to have an idea with my configuration 16 RPM 100Hrz.
    i make some vidéo: vibrations video.....
    ex:
    http://youtu.be/Dj1BemCsMUI
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK then, you have proved me wrong. The video looks good. You are right about getting tossed around. If you are brave enough, add some more speed to pitch and roll, but bumps look ok.
  14. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    I am still in the settings.
    my harware configuration, and VM110 AC motor is not optimal.
    I could do still better.

output settings of the card VM110 do not go with the needs of my drives dréquence 0 ... 10V.
    I work with half the operating range

so there are still 50% more performance possible!
  15. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    hello bsft
    you are still helpfull :yes:
    what RPM do you recommend for racing games ?
    and what RPM for flight game (fsx) ?
    and finally whats your idea about those commercials (ckas,bluetiger,...)which use for both?
    thank you freind
    sincerely
    Hooshang
  16. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi David. Looking at the information sheets on various motor/gearbox combinations I can see why many people use a 14rpm output. You can get faster speeds by selecting a different gearbox but the faster the speed the lower the torque - strewth, it's a long time since my Physics lessons !

I assume that the 14rpm is the best compromise solution and Riton's simulator certainly looks to be good.
  17. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Ok, I'm resurrecting this thread as I am realising that even powerful DC motors are not going to be man enough to move a 150-160kg cockpit and driver. So I'm back to the idea of making a CKAS T2S type motion platform using AC motors and gearboxes.

After looking through all of my researched information again I can see now that the large CKAS T5 platform has a maximum payload of 450kg whereas the smaller T2S platform is 220kg. Most DIY builders here have used 550W AC motors, the same as CKAS use on the T5. Comparing the payloads I should therefore only need 220W motors (370W if the matching gearbox price is good) and if the specification is similar to the 550W units then these will need to be 3 phase, 4 pole, 71B5, 230/400/3/50 motors. These I can source relatively cheaply here in the UK.

The problem lies in sourcing the Helical gearbox to suit. The output speed can be from 17 up to 25-30rpm. If the speed is too fast then it can become too much when hitting bumps etc.

Does anyone know of a source of suitable, inexpensive Helical gearboxes, or motor/gearbox units, available to the UK.
  18. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ac-motors don't have enough torque on their own as you noted, they will need a gearbox. You would have to calculate the gearing ratio for it but first you have to decide on the lever arm length as that will dictate with the mass how much torque you will need (lowest gearing ratio is then the motor output torque (some ~5Nm) /torque at the lever) Motor power or wattage dictates the speed of your sim and acceleration (or the topmost values it could ever achieve)

ac-motors don't run very well under 5Hz but you can rev a 50Hz motor a lot higher (most VFD's go to 300Hz) I would get the slowest speed motor (sometimes they have a bit more torque as well, but that's just peanuts) that way you get good low speed handling as the motor will turn slower on 5Hz than a faster motor and you will not need to go below 5Hz (at those speeds motor has very little torque and it's pulsating)

altough there is no lever arm calculations on my excel sheet that I posted, but you could alter it quite easily but it will show the relationship with gearing/mass/power and speed.
  19. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for your response. And there's me hoping things would be a little more straight forward !

I had been thinking of basing the lever length on the amount of movement required i.e having by then first obtained the motors. According to the CKAS specifications the T2S has a movement of 8 degrees to each side on the Roll axis and 8 degrees to both front and rear on the Pitch axis (although it looks to be more than this in the Youtube video of their Thruxim simulator).

Looks like I might need to sketch it out on paper to see the length of movement needed and hence the length of the lever arm. It would be so much easier if I could manage to contact an existing CKAS T2S owner. Not only for the length of the lever arms etc. but specifically for the model numbers of the motors and gearboxes (SEW Eurodrive). At least then there wouldn't be any doubt about what motor/gearbox unit to source.
  20. omniatlas

omniatlas New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I would also like to recreate the CKAS t5 for a flight simulator platform.

How are your projects coming along and have you all decided on which motors and gearboxes to use?