1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Status of The Website and a Motion Software

Discussion in 'Forum and Website' started by bvillersjr, Jul 1, 2012.

1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Today is July 1, but nothing would appear to be different? I see no announcements and no changes.

Are X-Sim 3 users still functional? I personally don't use it so I am not sure.

I see a small amount of concern here about the future, and the concern I do see is from commercial entities that had hoped to build a future on X-Sim (bad idea IMHO).

What are the actual DIY users doing?
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    log on to x-sim 3 site and have a look
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Doesn't seem to be anything new there as usual.

So is the software no longer free, or just another manipulative threat?
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    uummmmmm.....ask the question on x-sim 3 site?.... :?
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I much prefer the layout of this community and the fact that it is about DIY. I also much prefer the people here.

From a personal perspective, I really don't care either way. Just trying find out if I need to set aside some time for an X-Sim replacement.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, didnt mean to upset you in anyway, just trying to answer a question :thbup:
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Not upset at all.

Just not sure what the facts are about the future of the X-Sim software, but it's clear that noone knows. What freaks me out is that it seems noone cares either. Maybe they are all satisfied with their X-Sim 2 installations. I guess that's good news for me. Free time is hard to come by these days.
  8. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Currently there is no available replacement of the x-sim software here and sirnoname stopped the activities at x-simulator.de

As long as it is not clear if the software development will be really stopped by him or not the people here do not dare to ask for a alternative (better) software ;) That´s the only reason why you don´t get any response about asking for a new software. They don´t want to annoy the guy behind the development

May be the people happy with the old software, i would love it to support a new motion simulator engine as good as i can.

Regards
    René
  9. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    most people lost there interest i think.
    This SOAP last fore over a year now,and it,s time to end this standstil!
    It,s Sirnoname time again end this must end.
    @Bernhard: You offerd us freeware when sirnoname realy stops.
    And we must wait again.
    We arent frends allways but do you know the Black Jaguar controller.
    Its a one fits all solution with room to program.(high dynamic)
    Meaby you could urn some money back with a special programd controller working with youre freeware (if raceray agree)
    This way it,s becomes interesting to deliver the freeware fore you.
    I am saying this with the best intensions and dont want to assult some one.
    please react ,when it not realistic say so.
    But this standstil must end.
    best regards Ad
  10. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    People please be patient!

As mentioned before x-sim 3 is not going to stop because I managed to talk sirnoname into keeping the project running. He will however spend less time on the community, a part me and a few other users will take off his hands.

One thing that we are working on atm is a new and improved website and forum with a slightly different layout and a matching software design.

Hopefully this will take only a few days To a week but I can not guarantee that.

I'm going to reuse the current member database and posts when possible so I hope this will make the transfer as smooth as possible.

Until than the old site will remain active.

The software can be downloaded and used normally.

Hope this posts calms your nerves a bit ;)

For now: patience is a virtue!
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I've received a few inquiries about the future software. I read the many posts from SirNoName. They say differently from Floriske's posts.

I do not know which is correct, but since he says that the software can be downloaded and used normally, I would say that it was yet another false cancellation claim . If X-Sim remains available, there is obviously no need for me to make a replacement software. Despite the many unrtuthful hi-jacking claims, etc.. I have no desire to make an X-Sim replacement or takeover the work of a DIY software. My only statement was *if* X-Sim is cancelled, I would fill the void to try to be helpful. So the short answer to the questions I have received is: I don't know, but it looks like X-Sim lives on.
  12. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Release a (paid for) lite version of simcommander 3 that works with current x-sim rigs ;)
    Some people, like me, just want to race and have fun..I stopped posting everywhere because I'm not into the drama. I've never pretended to be able to actively help with any kind of development, I am an end user..and I dont mind paying for what I use ;)
  13. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would also prefer to have a (cheap) downloadable version of the commander software. But we must also understand that bvillersjr will not invest his business time in a alternative software if there is no need for it and no advantage for his business. That´s part of normal business operation and nothing else. IMHO i think there is need for a stable motion engine , due to the current whole situation - more than ever! Unfortunately without data and feedback of the community it´s not foreseeable in next time.

Regards, René
  14. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I hope you don't mind me continuing this topic here :)

People will pay for something..I know I would, so it makes perfect business sense IMO
    I wont pretend to know everything about it but I'm pretty sure the backbone of sim commander and x-sim must share some common ground.
    If someone asked me from a business point of view (I've had my own videogame store for nearly 20years) then I would say make a 'lite' sim commander, charge a one off fee (say 30-50 euros for example), let the community help enhance it and share ideas, profiles etc, use these forums as a community based support site for it so as to keep it away from Simxperience's own forums..but also release updates alongside normal version of sim commander and charge a nominal fee each time.

I think you may be surprised how many people are happy to pay for a commercial (lite) product and on-going updates. People spend thousands building their rigs, I'm about to drop £1000+ on the new CSW kit, and without a decent motion program it's almost wasted.

The key is to market it and spread the word...it's a lot easier to do with a 'finished' product than a 'WIP' that requires possibly more technical know how (at least that's how it may look from a newbie's point of view)

:)
  15. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I absolutely agree with you Steve. Many people are bored by a software that does not do what they want, stability that lacks and a configuration orgy that it is enough to make one go crazy! I also would pay a little amount for a software that contents not too much bugs and that is developed by people who are listen to the needs of the community.

Friends, please attend to the following poll:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/how-much-would-u-pay-for-a-motion-sim-engine-software-t3933.html :cheers:
  16. gera

gera New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi museumsteve,

das ist auch exakt meine Meinung :thbup:

that's exactly my opinion :thbup:

best regards
    Gera from Austria
  17. pitstopp

pitstopp Active Member

Balance:
    634Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
    I fully agree with museumsteve!

I waited for any improvment in x-sim Software for a long time.
    But nothing happend AND that is NOT a problem of the contributing members of this site Imho.

So I switched to Sx-3000 controller and Commander 3 software.
    Ok, that was not a cheap solution, but sometimes it is better to pay for and get a working an supported Software.
    I´m very satisfied with the resolution of the effects and its easy to install.

This is what hat the x-sim software had to be.

Regards
    Kai
  18. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Kai,

maybe i get also the possibility to try out the SX-3000 controller and the Commander 3 software in the next time.
    I am excited to try it out as already Nima told me how acurate and easy the system is.

When i got that stuff i will write a detailed review here. Which game you prefer to play?

Regards
    René
  19. pitstopp

pitstopp Active Member

Balance:
    634Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hi René

meistens GTRevo, auch mal Dirt

Grüße
    Kai
  20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the compliments on the Sim Commander 3 motion software. It's been alot of hard work, and for the most part, developers only ever hear about issues or what someone would like to see differently so it's a refreshing change.

There are many compromises made when developing a software. In my case, I identified a target audience, sought out many testers from race drivers to DIY SCDN5 sim builders, and asked them for feedback. What we built is what they wanted.

What they want is alot different from what a developer of DIY electronics would want. X-Sim is better suited for a guy who wants to build his own electronics, etc.. The Sim Commander is better suited for optimal performance and ease of use.

For it's attempt to be all things to all people, X-Sim is complicated. For it's attempt to be simple and powerful, the Sim Commander doesn't make alot of sense for a guy building his own circuit board.

It's easy to see that this site has morphed into a site that is as much about DIY electronics as it is about DIY motion simulators. Different people have different ideas about what DIY means I suppose.