1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Rear Traction Loss Simulation Vids

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bvillersjr, May 12, 2010.

1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Here are the rear traction loss videos that I have promised.

These videos show three different approaches to the use of the rear traction loss axis. One approach is counter-G-forces, one only simulates loss of rear grip. The other attempts to scale drifting rotation. So far, the best feel is simulating rear traction loss only. You can really feel the rear end if you start to lose it under braking, over-acceleration and exceeding the cars g-force capability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqq1woZxt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YftZ2meTPQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qI-QE9l2iY

It's difficult to evaluate motion quality on YouTube. Here is a link to a slightly better quality vid as well: http://downloads.SimXperience.com/SimX-rFactorTraction Loss.mpg NOTE:You will need proper Windows Media Player Codecs to view this. ALso, if you have a hard time viewing it, you can right-click on the link and select 'Save As'.

When I have enough time to upload 1gb vids, I'll post the HD versions.

I'll also have some profiles to share soon as well.

:cheers:
  2. LearnDriver

LearnDriver New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great, just when I'm about to complete my sim you come with this :( *looks at hole in wallet*

Looks great! :cheers:
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Very nice! The videos show the movements pretty good despite the slow refresh rates. :cheers:

BTW the link for the .mpg is broken because of the space before Loss.mpg.
  4. Guppie5220

Guppie5220 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    405Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bernard, that is absolutely fantastic! :thbup: It looks like it is adding much more realism to the driving experience. Great job!
  5. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that's interesting. does it feel like the real deal and if there any improvements what can you do.
    how is it actually done because there is big screen stopping to see it :)
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the compliments guys! This is Stage IV of X (10). This sim has a long way to go before my vision for it is complete, but I'm very pleased with it's performance so far.

@ Fahim - Yes, this adds alot to the realism. Traditional sims have their Yaw axis in the center of the vehicle. This works well for airplanes, but not as well for the simulation of rear traction loss in race cars. In a car, the more common scenario is that rear grip is lost while front grip is maintained. To answer your question of how it works: The seat base and front-end combine to form one rigid unit. This sits atop the rear traction loss base (pictured below). The front end mates with the rear traction loss base in the front, and rollers with anti-wear pads are used in the rear. The actuator pictured below pushes off of the rear traction base and against the combined seat base / front end. In the next iteration of videos, I'll try to get some up close shots of it.

Rear-Traction-Loss-Base.jpg
  7. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bernard, this is yet again an amazing implementation of a third actuator, good stuff! :clap:

I bet you get the best feeling out of this when do some drifting or even better, some hairpin turns is rallying; now that will be an amazing footage, I can't wait. :cheers:
  8. Papifix

Papifix Member SimAxe Beta Tester

im Ruhestand
    Balance:
    562Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you try only spin the seat without stabilisatoren ?
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    @ Papafix - If you mean trying rotation in a scenerio like a Frex with the stabilizers removed? Yes, I tried it very briefly. It isn't a good scenario because you either get a very limited movement, or you risk harming the actuators.
  10. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Bernard,

Very impressive as always! Any news on games supporting this module?

Many thanks.
  11. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    iracing,rfactor,lfs and dirt2 have a velue vor drift.
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Nima is correct, except that ARCA & Grid also provide rear traction loss data. The complete list is:

• -iRacing
      -rFactor 1.255
      -LFS
      -Dirt2
      -Grid
      -F1 2010
      -ARCA

** I think there is one more title that is based on the ISI engine and uses the rFactorPlugin.dll but I cannot remember what it is at the moment.
  13. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Hi Bernard
    Have you considered designing a rear traction loss add-on for Frex owners?
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    The Frex controller and software don't support rear traction loss simulation so I'll assume that you mean for simulators built of alum. profiles. Yes, I did consider it, but the lower mass of the overall alum. sim makes it likely to hop around and damage the rear actuator bushing.

Worse yet, the is no defined standard for dampening, no consistent front end, and no consistent dimensions among those with alum. profile sims. Given that the idea is to pivot off of the front end and have an actuator and glide system in the rear, it isn't possible to make a one size fits all solution.

In short, because most of these alum. profile sims are custom built, the rear traction loss for it would also need to be.
  15. Majony

Majony Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Bvillersjr Hi, I write this post because I like to collect some information about this system lost a rear wheel. I will order the basic kit from 150mm to simexperience scn5 and I'm going to build the structure by copying the original system. The design and dimensions of two actuators sim I have it very clear, but the third actuator system for I have not at all clear and I wonder if I could do. Provided with some background to guide me in this regard? sketch some of the third actuator assembly? the third actuator is the same as the other two or actuator is a different? I would greatly appreciate that guided me, forgive my English but it is so bad I have to use google translator so I hope you understand! A greeting and thank you very much.
  16. Majony

Majony Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Oh and I forgot one thing .... the third actuator is also an official with RBR? thanks
  17. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Dirt2 provides rear traction loss, but RBR has not been tested for compatibility.

I posted a drawing of the rear tractrion loss on the first page of this thread.
  18. Just_Wanna_Drive

Just_Wanna_Drive New Member

Balance:
    275Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any updates on game compatibility?

How does it feel w/ flight sims?
  19. abs

abs Active Member Gold Contributor

consultant
    Balance:
    784Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    hello, i dlike to investigate this rear traction loss for a new project to come. i decided to post to make others beneficate on the topic instead of emailing directly Bernard. B you are welcome to give some feedback on this topic.

i d like to know if there is any DIY info on this in terms of hardware and profiles. (especially hardware). it does not seem there is much in the forum or maybe i have not tried enough ...

in my case i have build a regular2 dof with aluminium profiles of 45 mm of section. i have concerns that a rear traction loss would damage my 2 current motors if too much stress from a third motor.

Any info and tips ?
    thx
  20. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi.
    Its rather old post and I am suprised that no one has implemented this to their simulator except Bernard..
    This should be rather easy adon to make, but for the settings in the x-sim, I have no idea how to make it work.
    Anyhow, I am definitely going to try this, as my sim is still on planning stage.
    Did not even think about that traction loss, would be nice feature for better sim experience.

Good work!