1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My reproduction of CKAS 2DOF Motion Platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by lealjay, Apr 23, 2012.

1. lealjay

lealjay New Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi , hello everybody , i'm french and i've been reading these forums for a few months now , and all these wonderful simulators projects made me want to build one myself too .
    So i was searchin the web for the best possible design to build and i find out that the CKAS 2DOF motion platform would be the perfect one because i'm planning to use my system with FSX as principal game
    with an enclosed cabin , so i collected as much as informations i can have about the CKAS 2DOF and started my project .

It's composed with :
    - 2 x 550W AC motors with 14rpm and 0.75ch each (390nm) , 2 x omron j1000 frequency inverters , 2 x ppc27 10k ohms potentiometers and 1 x velleman k8061 (vm140) board .
    - computer running x-sim : core i7 2600k@3,4ghz , 12GB ram , 3000gb hdd , GTX 460 768MB , Windows 7 64 bits .

i've build it with the exact same dimensions of the real one , motors have same caracteristics , and frequency inverters set to 100hz .

here are some pictures of it :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a video of it in action with FSX with only pitch effect on motor 1 et roll effect on motor 2 to reproduce the exact slope of the plane as it is in FSX and with adjusting min and max pos/neg values for each axis in math plugin . no acceleration effects .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHoKt17IdVs

i'd like to do the exact same effect with nolimits rollercoasters but only acceleration value are extracted as far as i know , does anybody knows if pitch and roll can be extracted from that game as well , thanks .
  2. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Can't help you I'm afraid but just to say love what you've managed to produce. Looks brilliant.
  3. lealjay

lealjay New Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much :)
  4. leandro37

leandro37 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about the reduction gear are you using?

regards
  5. lealjay

lealjay New Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi , these are 550w 1400 rpm motors with 99,9 gear ratio reductors on them , so 1400/99.9 = 14rpm .
  6. leandro37

leandro37 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    can i use other brand of inverters? no problem? theres some especification to order it?

regards
  7. leandro37

leandro37 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    other thing is, can i use a encoder in place of the potenciometers?
    Where did you get those belt between the gear and the pot? what the reason/diameter?

regards
  8. lealjay

lealjay New Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. hjteoh2

hjteoh2 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi, i m jay. i m also interested to build one simulation platform for my studies. i wish to know the material u use for center joint, and can u sent me the mechanical drawing of ur platform?

i m student from university teknologi malaysia, i just wish to simulate the platform using solidwork, i have tried a few design but it does not work, can u help me?

i attached my simulated picture for u.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?uo2eu6r72e9u8r4
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ug6tquu5z86uhoj

thank u very much!!!
  11. hjteoh2

hjteoh2 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. paiva27

paiva27 New Member

Balance:
    - 14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    I wanted to do a 4dof, rotating 180 degrees.
    This card supports 4 frequency inverter?
    what is the purpose 2 x 10k Ohm potentiometers ppc27?

Thank you!
  13. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    hello,
    yes the card supports 4 frequency inverter.
  14. paiva27

paiva27 New Member

Balance:
    - 14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

what is the purpose of potentiometers?
  15. pedro 626

pedro 626 New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    hello how are you? I'm doing a simulator like yours and I have a couple of questions, where you got the Velleman k8061 interface and frequency inverters? are very expensive? thank you very much good job
  16. mertensbart20

mertensbart20 New Member

Balance:
    - 1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I assume the purpose of the potentiometers is determining the position of the motorarms.

The reason potentiometers are used here is because they give an analogue signal that the VM140 can measure. an alternative would be a rotary encoder but the VM140 can't work with these signals.
  17. mertensbart20

mertensbart20 New Member

Balance:
    - 1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Vellemankit costs around 120 euro's. For a good frequency invertor, for example the Siemens G110 0,75 kW you would pay aroung 200 euro's.
  18. mertensbart20

mertensbart20 New Member

Balance:
    - 1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello lealjay,

Nice job on the platform. I am a teachter electrical engineering and last schoolyear I have build a racesimulator which you can in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6HtIFWx ... re=mh_lolz

This schoolyear we are planning to build a new one that is based on the thruxim. I am planning to keep up the work on the new X-sim website (www.x-sim.de). Would you mind sharing some information on the mechanical construction of the platform?

Thanks in advance,
    Bart
  19. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi Bart. You may have noticed it already but I have a forum thread requesting information on the exact model of motor and gearbox that CKAS use on the their T2s platform, as used on the Thruxim - http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/information-on-ckas-t2s-motion-platform-t3872.html?hilit=ckas. I have also started a similar thread on the x-sim.de forums - http://www.x-sim.de/forum/search.php?keywords=ckas.

If we can obtain this information then we can look at the best pricing available on the same SEW Eurodrive motor and gearbox (possibly R Series ?), either new or pre-used/reconditioned, and would also be able to see if there were cheaper alternatives available.

It would be worth your while monitoring these threads and if you're fortunate enough to source any info would you add it to one of these threads. Probably the one on the new x-sim.de site would be best.

Thanks
  20. lealjay

lealjay New Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi , here are new pictures and a video of my 2DOF simulator this time with a full enclosed cabin built on his top . The cabin is actually empty but will be equipped with a short throw projector , 2 rally car seats ( left seat for racing and right seat for plane sim) , thrustmaster t500RS car wheel , saitek aviator joystick , saitek rudder pedals , saitek throttle quadrant .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEQv9a81xw