1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My 2DOF DIY sim.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by tahustvedt, Jan 15, 2012.

1. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    They are Iiyama E2409HDS monitors, and they are snapped together. I won't remove the bezel on these because I want to replace them with something bigger later and sell them.
  2. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    I want to do the same my Benq 24inch LEDs are great in eyefinity but new technology has arrived, the nVidia GTX 680 now supports 4 monitors from one card and can provide 3D at 60hz in full HD on 3 screen surround vision. This is my main focus this month as I have some spare cash to get into it. Altho I have to delay my 2x 24volt 1200watt power supplies from china. But I think it may be worth it. I've been told by many GTX 680 owners that they are the business and 3D has a massive advantage when it comes to speed judgment over on the rfactor 2 forums.
  3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Eyefinity supports six monitors from one card. ;)
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Strewth!
  5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I added a personalised center knob to replace the original Gran Turismo logo on the steering wheel. Turned out better than I had hoped.

EVERYONE SHOULD OWN A CNC ROUTER!

Attached Files:

6. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Wicked stuff dude, how is that wheel btw, did you have a G25 previous to compare to?
  7. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My previous wheel was a Logitech Wingman Formula Force from 1999. It didn't work any more when Windows 7 too over, so I was away from the sim scene for a while.

The T500RS wheel is very good. It's precise and has pretty strong FFB. The pedals are pretty good as well.
  8. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Today I made a keyboard mount out of some waste profile and a little plexiglass which I painted black on the back.

Next up is to make a better shifter gate and maybe a custom shifter knob.

Attached Files:

9. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I made a couple of shifter gates, painted the letters gunmetal grey, and polished the surface slightly. Turned out great, and operates better than the original gate.

Attached Files:

10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice job there!
    :clap:
  11. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Looking good! (as usual ;))

And yes: everyone should have a CNC router so make the damn things more affordable!
    (although I must say that doing all by hand/with a bench press and succeeding in making something is very good for ones self esteem :brows: )
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

CNC router....mmmm...maybe I should sell one of my sims to buy one!
    :rofl:
  13. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Getting sick of these monitors. They drop out intermittently. Disastrous when it happens when I'm playing iRacing. It happened five or six times during a race now with the Lotus 79. I managed to stay on the road all the time just one +1 off track penalty, but it's pure luck. I'll have to stop racing until I get new monitors. I can't afford that now. It happened when the sim wasn't powered up as well, so it probably isn't related to the power supply interference or movement. I even tried replacing the HDMI cables before I raced today.

I don't see the point of getting anything smaller than 32 if I replace them, but it'll cost a(nother) fortune.

There's a small chance that it's caused by the splitter, so I'll try switching one of the flashing ones with one that works.
  14. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Tried switching out the splitter. Didn't help. I also tried to drive with the power off the motion sim. Still blacked out occasionally. It's freakin' weird to drive without motion, BTW.

I found other cases where this happens with these monitors. Example: http://www.avforums.com/forums/monitors ... ction.html
  15. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Things like this can be a real pain :(

Have you tried taking out the splitter and using a single monitor? That way you can rule out the splitter and the multiple monitor setup causing problems
  16. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have three other BenQ-monitors connected to the splitters that don't have this problem. I even tried swapping the outputs on the splitters.
  17. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Still I reckon it's worth while to try without the splitters, maybe the cause a signal glitch once a while to which the iiyama's are more sensitive than the Ben-q's.

Best to rule everything out before drawing conclusions.

Do the monitors go in standby or do they re-configure the resolution etc. as if they got a new signal?
  18. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    One of my JRKs stopped accepting the feedback signal the other day. I had removed the servo from the sim to install the new bearings, and when I connected it again it showed 0 no matter what. I probably accidentally shorted the signal wires on something, though I don't know what since the system was off when I worked on it. Could be caused by static electricity.

Wires are fine, and the JRK behaves the same out of the sim. No visible damage. Checked with a microscope. Reinstalling the firmware does nothing to help. It runs the motor and blinks as normal, so there's no indication of an error.

I have ordered a couple of new units. One for the sim, and one for either a third axis, or another project.
  19. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The new JRK worked immediately. It's back up and running now.
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to see, the jrks are a tough unit , but very sensitive to operator mistakes, I should know, I have destroyed 5 from stupidity. Never destroyed from over abuse though.