1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

AMC 1.5 - missing device or unknown device -24

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Jeroen, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ordered 18.4320Mhz xtal to see if that works!
  2. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Still finding this frustrating - no luck in getting it going.
    I have tripple check all my soldering , checked continuity and short circuits of tracks , checked continuity from cable ends thru to the 8535, tried all manner of crystals ( but ponyprog does not even see the AVR when trying to read the security bits using the default internal clock), tried a new 8535, tried running ponyprog on 2 other PCs, tried an external 1 Mhz clock ( just in case the fuse bits were corupted). I am really at a loss to know what to try next. I have searched the web and It seems to be THE most common problem with the avr's. The chip I am using is the 8535 16PU. I am wondering if pony prog does not recognise this version for some reason?
    On a positive note - I have learnt heaps about the AVRs !!

Any suggestions welcome.
  3. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    DOH!

After checking everything many times ( as you can see from the previous post) I found a track missing on my boards! I need new glasses and my bum kicked.
    The AMC is now programmed ! :yippiee:
  4. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi Thanos ...
    Good day every one ...

Yes baby ... Me too working ... I found the error ... It's the programming bridge :( ... it is successfully reading new atmega's ... but when programming the fuses to a higher frequency and communicating with the atmega to read it or write a flash file .. the bridge give the error [ some how it began to leak ] ... It was the only piece that I made it manually on an old board I had and never suspected it ... tested it with the high ohm scale and found a very large mega ohm on the three lines of the MISO-MOSI-SCK ... causing signals from computer to be damped or communication lost .

I did a small party ...
    :cheers: :cheers: :yippiee: :yippiee: :cheers: :cheers: :yippiee: :yippiee: :cheers: :cheers: :yippiee: :yippiee:

Advice every one ... Be more than accurate ... Do Exactly as Genius Thanos does on videos (write it down) so help you GOD ... buy yourself a big powerful magnifying lens and check visually for every thing ...

tip : a small 5mm strong lens can be adjusted/attached to the front of a good mobile camera and record/use the screen ... whatever amazing things can be done ...

All 6 Atmega's now are working [NOT Dead ] ... 24MHz ... how want's the extra ?? :cheers:

KMF ... [ Keep moving forward ] .
  5. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Having the same problem here with 1.5 board. Device not recognized when flashing it.
    (Or unknown device or locked -25 error.
    I got the Ponyprog to flash the chip once, but whole computer jammed and had to powerdown after 15 min, not sure if it completed succesfully.
    All the leds work, nothing is fried, all resistors checked like five times+changed the choke.
    The flash-led also flashes when given a reset or erase code, so I could really use some help. Also washed the pcb with special solvent for pcb´s, no flux anymore..
    I´ve never got any kind of data to the lcd (not even those black square boxes), nothing.
    I am sooo fustrated. I´m using Raystar 1602B-BIW-ESX for lcd, and it should be HD44780 compatible. I have checked the traces many times and using the filled pcb version.
    I tried to use terminal too, to get any info from 8535, nothing.
    Does the AVR work without any lcd btw? (is it mandatory if only com-port+terminal is used?
    I have 18mhz crystal, and 9v 560mA powersupply and hope the currenyt is enough.
  6. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider, Motion platform
    Greetings,
    Glad to see several people have had a fustrating a time as I have! I can't believe the amount of time I spent on this part of the project. I'm having the exact same expierience as Poteroa and Bruceaust with my avr 1.5. A partial rebuild didn't do a thing. A complete set of crystals and no results. Yobuddy suggested that I send a atmega8535 chip to him and have him flash it for me. I did and he stated it flashed with no problem. I inserted it in my avr and it works..., but the avr 1.5 will not connect up with the computer running profiler... Another delemma! :eek:
    jsmith2307
  7. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    tip :to trouble shoot your board ...use a small 5mm strong lens [found in an old scanner] can be attached to the front of a good mobile camera and record/zoom/use the mobile screen ... whatever amazing things can be done ... :yes: ... :brows: ... you will be more than happy when you solve your problem ...

abdo_tahan
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Face it, toss it in the bin and buy some JRKS
    ;P
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or just use the link to the new Tronic card :thbup:
  11. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, well building a new board is not a fix, I don´t want to give up yet.
    I have been thinking that could the lcd be the problem, I think you can use the board without the lcd attached?
    Maybe I just try to erase the chip with pic-programmer and go from there.
    (I have no option to buy new components again, my wife will kick my nutties to orbit if I do that) :lol:
    Have spent for parts allready over 100€.. :tape:
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not exactly building a new board, just buy a sparkfun FTDI breakout board to replace the programming and serial communications part... I done it for testing in the old AMC1.5 board as you can see on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GrudZ6wt-0

And this is the file I used that is compatible with the old AMC1.5 board layout. Beware that the firmware is for Atmega644 and crystal speed 22.1184Mhz.
    FTISP for AMC1.5 atmega644 22.1184mhz.zip

Of course in your board with Atmega8535 and 18.432Mhz crystal you can use this...
    FTISP for AMC1.5 atmega8535 18.432mhz.zip

Happy now?? 8)

Thanos
  13. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes! Looks very interesting, and can do the update with a laptop.. =) (No serial port in mine). Have to look into that, hope there is a place in europe that sells those BOB-00718´s. its good tha tit can power itself trough the usb too, no extra psu and less cables. =)

Got my problem partially solved, the lcd works now. I used an external powersupply for the lcd and took the v0 from the 12v ground like in the pdf-guide and that did not work. (used a resistor to get proper current for the lcd leds). Took the v0 off from ground and made a jumper from pin 1 to 3 and the boxes came alive. The chip is still dead, can´t write the security bits nor erase the chip. I think the lcd powersupply destroyed the 8535.. This might be the problem with other peoples boards too. I don´t know if it could be a regulating problem or something. (I´m quite noob with these things) :blush:

So everyone else, try my solution first before buying new lcd´s, did not actually connect the pin 5 at all, and display works.

Oh, is there a minimum mA that you suggest for powering the board? (I have 9v 560mA), enough you think?

I hope to get that breakout board, but have to get this working soon.. Promised myself that no rfactor before its working. :lol:

Oh, and thank you for your effort and design. ITS SUPER NICE!

Maybe I go and buy that 644 instead, its mucho better. :clap:
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The BOB-00718 provides though USB, 5v with maximum 450mA !!! As you can see in the video its enough to power the board and the LCD backlight without problem. Plus when you use the onboard regulator on the AMC1.5 you lose some mA from the regulation process.
  15. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just got everything sorted out. The 8535 was totaled, new chip and everything went fine. (oh, had to put ja jumperwire in lcd 3 to 5 activate the other row) =).
    But now everything is ok, just can´t get the terminal working, is it suppose to work, even if there is no potentiometer attached nor the h-bridge?
    (My h-brigde is still in plastic bags..) =) and isn´t the communication done by the same port as where flashed from?

There was one thing I did differently compared to flashing the chip before, I did not take the 3 jumpers off the first time, this time I did..and now it works!
  16. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, can the 644 be flashed through the comport with the bin-file you have attached tronicgr? And if it can be done, do I have to modify the binary or the way to flash it with ponyprog?
    I think this is off the topic, but anxious to know.
  17. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, the bin file can be used only to flash the 644 through the USB FTDI device only! Why keep trying with ponyprog when I presented a way better way to flash the AMC now??
  18. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, just a thought.. I will order that BOB soon.
  19. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider, Motion platform
    Greetings,
    I purchased one from Sparkfun BOB-00718 for $18.59, it will arrive next week. I hope this works! :brows:
    jsmith2307
  20. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going for that too. I have seen that the com-bus is not so reliable, even though its been so long time around. I have been planning to use the ftdi chip that s been used with the obd-port cables to flash the chips, you can get those for 5€ and its the same chip that is used on BOB-00718.
    I still haven´t built the simulator itself, but the electrics are ready. I really love this project, nothing you can just buy from a shop, makes it more uniq, all thanks to tronicgr.
    Been so nice to find the electronics as a new hobby again. ;)