1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

24Volt Motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by stowaway, Feb 12, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to create Aldoz awesome 3DOF simulator.

The only thing that puts me off a little bit is the noise made from the Winch motors.

I was just wondering if anyone has researched 24volt Motors? You could use 2 12Volt car batteries for them....

something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRIC-SCO ... 415e8eb30f

The problem I think is it wouldnt hold in place and it would probably free wheel....

But are there any alternatives to the Whinch motors, because I beleive its the gears that are the noisy part...
  2. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    hi! The winches are free wheel too! Then no problems! You will set the max min run using the feedback positions from pot! (max - min positions) and your motors will have a min and max range positions and not over.

First motor seems ok but I don't think it can have some Newton power torque than a 12v motor mounted on a winch.. Just a mine impression.

Second motor seems more weak than the first.

The point is : Are there other good options if you don't want to use winch motors to build a 3dof without using some pulley system too? (a 3dof with pulley system I think it's a very ugly and without performances 3dof)

My answer is : Really hard to find some other good options... Except you have a good amount of money available to some good AC motor! (400 - 600 €)..

A winch motor is 70 - 80 € and provide a really high power torque... enought to start the think about to build a 3dof (with a lot of work and calculations off course..).
  4. igorhr

igorhr New Member

computer technician
    Balance:
    405Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello!
    I juse 24V DC motors from electrical wheelchairs
    something like this :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Merits-metro-Po ... 43aca4787c
    they have very quality robust metal gearbox

and after some burn out MOSFETs (mostly P type- IRF 4905), I was find out that this motors work fine on 12V !
    because of less Volts, torque was probable dropped from 10 Nm on 8 or 7, but they work
    fine with me on chair (my and chair load about 100kg) :D
    so now I juse them on my 250W PC power supply (from older PC type one) on 12V and
    I use electronic fuse (just in case) to protect my H-bridge FETs
    regars
    Igor

Attached Files:

5. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm more of a try and see what happens type of guy.

I'll probably end up using Winch motors. As they are tried and tested.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For an Aldoz style sim with lift, yes winch motors would be the go, even if they are noisy for the price.
    The 12v worm gear motors ( which I use) would need to be geared and would make them too slow for race, but good for flight.
    The 24v motors have possibility, but would need to have a gearbox on them to obtain the correct speed, and 24v driving them, not 12v.
  7. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    I'm going to be using 4 x 24v and each I presume to be near 300watt and a 120rpm, 40 - 50 nm 4 a 3dof system however I do think the rpm ratio is a little too fast, they are off a 4.5mph wheelchair.

However I cant be sure what the output speed would be but I intend to use gas struts or bike air shocks to float alot of weight I have an ingenious plan for my lifting mechanism. I am quite frightened of the pitch and roll speed I will have with the power of 4 motors working in sync.
  8. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    perhapes I should wait until your simulator is finished :) I look forward to seeing this ingenious lifting mechanism.
    Upgrading my plans from a 3DOF to a 4DOF shouldnt be too difficult.
    Do you think it would offer alot better movement?
  9. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    120 rpm and 45 Nm is 565,49 W. ;)
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Frightened! Wheres your sense of adventure!
  11. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    BSFT if I could only show you how fast one of my wheelchairs switches direction on the yaw axis with all my weight and batteries which is some what 90kg+. The motors in that are 24v 15amp 360 watt rating, performance is... well you will be very impressed.

Now surge wise I cant be sure how powerful really are as the acceleration of both motors in the same direction is electronically controlled (limited) to prevent the chair from flipping but still very quick and powerful, this is with limited total power up to 40amps the force of acceleration feels quick upto 4mph.

Now for my motion platform I have other motors I intend to use, they are much more powerful I think I said near 300watt previous but I was way wrong it is much higher tahustvedt worked it out to be 565,49watt at 45nm even at 40nm which I know they are atleast that would be approx 508watt.

If I let my sabertooth loose completely on each of my motors and ran them at 24v x 25amp thats 600watt to each motor. 600watt x 4 = 2400watt / 2.4kw.

750watt = 1 hp so 2400watt/ 750watt = 3.2 horsepower

3.2 horsepower scares me thats a lot of power for the pitch and roll axis, heave up may not need any assistance from gas struts or air shocks.

Still this is going to be exciting.

Stowaway my simulator is 3Dof concept not 4Dof btw, but I do intent to build onto a 6Dof with the same platform however. My platform is essentially the same as Aldoz in principle I just have an extra motor. The problem I face in programming is the neccessary syncronisation of speed and power Aldoz doesnt face the same problem.
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes , it sounds like your sim will have the f.....k me motion for sure.
  13. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    @ BartS:
    I think you mean your motors can shake you and wheelchair (90kg) easly but the matter change hard when you have to face the lift matter of a 3dof.. So win the battle against the G gravity!
    The main and simple test you can do to know how many lift torque power you have available so mount a hard and heavy stirrup on your motor shaft and try to put someone or something on the stirrup and try to lift up the weight.
    If your single motor can lift minimum 60kg so you can start to think that 3 motors can lift so and so 180kg. obviously this parameter will change when your platform will moving but however you have 180kg of force to lift something then the 3dof think becomes a realistic think. In your case you will use 4 motors (really complex matter, a 4th motor position is not easy to find, and you will risk that general power calibration will change a lot with not sure advantage ijn the lift matter... but this depend how you position your motors...

@bsft yea seems something good can happen there :)
  14. caiubbo84

caiubbo84 Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    My suggestion is to use any motor, the meccanical part is important not voltage because 12v or 24v is the sa me, a winch mo tor can drive with 24v and half current that on 12v, example 12v* 20,8a=250w 24v*10,4a=250w. So is better more voltage TO have lower amper band lower heat, and the mo tor driver thanks you! :yippiee:
  15. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    You are correct and you can do that but... motors are not made to withstand whatever amps you decide to throw at them. Senario here I have 2 fracmo motors 24v that are rated for 15amps if I had a 12v 15 amp motor and decided to run it at 30 amps to get same power output, which one do you think will last longest? I also dont think I seen many 12v motors 30 amp+ rated. Plus how far can I push my 24v motors theres that too.
    So this is not good practice because the bearings are not made for it Armature or rotor, Commutator, Brushes, Axle.
  16. caiubbo84

caiubbo84 Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes you are right i sayed that is better more volts to reduce the amps! Because on a motor you can read only the max amps and watt! So my solution is more voltage to have the half current in the sistem, my sabertooth is 2x12a so on 12v i have 20amps too much! Better 24v so with 10 amps i have the max Power and the sabertooth is fresh! 1h in game i can touch it and is warm! Sorry for my english! :D
  17. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Oh ok I see your Point now. Yes you are right with this too I thought you meant running a lower rated motor to match a stronger motor. :)
  18. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You have to change the gear ratio to achieve this. If you just double the voltage without changing the load, the current will more than double. If you double the voltage, and increase the gear ratio 4x then you might have half the current.
  19. TERENCE Teed

TERENCE Teed New Member

Balance:
    91Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hey fellas, thanks for bamboozeling me and frying my brain lol. I've got 4 Windcreen motors from DAF, Renault trucks (lorries, semis) that i intend on using on my project, I intend using a 240ac to 24V DC 1000 watt power supply. I've ordered some IBT2s but I am now wondering if the IBT 2 will run the damn thing with its inputs being 12v. Any help will be greatly received. Before I spend any more money.

Tia.
    Terry.