1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My 3DOF project is born!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by AldoZ, Mar 20, 2011.

1. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    That movement looks great now Aldoz, I can actually visually see how much it has changed from your older videos. It looks alot more solid, stable and precise, well done. Most of the change that I can see looks like you are on the mark with the PID. I really like the motion best without the mean value filter, I can see the movement of the car better + looks closer to what you hope to acheive like Force Dynamics.
  2. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you BartS! and yes you get perfectly the point about the PID and the mean value filter! :yes:

The mean value filter is really useful when I want to simulate the descents and ascents (because it cut the peaks movements making the vertical travel more linear and 'clean') but not highly recommended to simulate the small/medium rough bumps.

The best solution would be to use 2 times the 26 (vertical) effect, one using the mean value and one without it. A good edited mix between these 2 vertical effects could to complete the work around the vertical travel!.
    Unlucky yesterday my spring problem cutted off a bit of my 3dof vertical performances but the important thing is that luckily I noticed it before doing damage :)

Next vids will be with a full 32cm travel (oh my.. I hope to solve this spring problem right next saturday.. I want to think it's a easly solvable problem) and finally with the Relays power bost.

Thank you for compliments BartS and stay tuned! :thbup:
  3. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all again!.
    Here my yesterday last videos.
    After all these weeks of continuos tests I can finally say that my 3dof prototype is ready! :)
    Finally I find my secure and stable mechanical/electrical/profile configuration.

The problem about the spring (the deformation and a coil touching and blocking the vertical travel) is solved and now my spring is working good!

In these last tests I pushed my ugly monster really hard and no problems!
    You can notice I used an extreme pid and profile configuration just for see if was excessive for my platform but it answer to my tests without issues or difficulty.
    I tested a new car accelleration set of my profiler to extremize the accelleration effect because I notice that it's needed a lot of back inclination to make the body feels GOOD the accelleration effect and I am very happy for the result.

The perfection would be If I was using a 15 turn pot because using a 10 turn I need to use only 8 of these turns for safety motivations and I can't use all my theoretical tilt degrees and vertical movement but it's not a bad problem.

With the tests experiences of all these months I can say that with my motor speed (winches motors are slow motors!) is useless to have many vertical travel because when my motors are trying to go to the selected positions already they must to change direction to follow the real time new command..
    I notice if I reduce the vertical range of my motors travel I obtain a more rapid and precise vertical works especially for little bumps.

Since now In my profile I set my vertical effect very EXTREME.. even if I get a little vertical value I set my profile to obtain a LOT of vertical travel but almost never my motors have the speed to do the complete movement. I hope you understand so and so what I mean.
    So reducing the vertical motor range (from 28cm to 15cm) I notice my motors doing less extensive movements then they can execute the vertical movement much more complete and near to the x-sim profiler2 diagram.

I am making a new profile with two 26 effect, one modified with the mean filter, linear without bad movement peaks, just for the climbs and descents (using all my actual available vertical travel) and the other one 26 effect will be reduced, just to simulate good all the little/medium bumps (using half of my actual available vertical travel. I am pretty sure I will get a good forward step!

In these videos I am using the 26 effect really extremized and using all my available vertical travel so not the best solution but a lot of little shakes (good thing in this case because I am testing my 3dof in a very hard way in these last tests!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70urXp5g3iY&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=3&feature=plcp
    Here in Hockheneim track testing accellerations and breaking systems using a very aggressive configuration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNDua5-EpJQ&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=2&feature=plcp
    Hockheneim again testing the extreme version of longitudinal accelleration

A last thing: I tested the relay system and a bad problem here!
    All working good except for a thing:
    When I give the order to move the motor from jrk config utility I can ear the tick sound from relay and I can see my motor obeying and running (with FULL force!!) to the target position but when my motor reach the position then I listen a new tick sound, my relays are turning off becuase the motor has reached the position BUT when the relays working I see my pot target position receiving a peak movement order! In other words this mean that the motor remaining oscillating little up and little down the REAL target position because when the relays turing off the pot receive (a backfire amp peak?) a modification of his target position... I had same problems at the start of my project (so without relays)before I modified the dead zone and PID options. The difference between the past is that with the relay system my PID or dead zone modifications show no effects.
    Lucky my 3dof have enough power without relays too.. I have no force to combat a new war about my electrical configuration! haha

;D
  4. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    hello aldoz.
    Can you tell me where did you do your central column? I have problems to find a way to mine.
    thank you :)

bonjour aldoz.
    peux tu me dire où tu a fait faire ta colonne central ? j'ai des problemes pour trouver un moyen pour faire la mienne.
    merci :)
  5. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi vulbas and let me to give you maximum compliments for your 3dof project! REALLY SPECTACULAR!

My central column is made by some components:
    1 --> DIY steel cylinder 4cm x 4cm
    1 --> DIY steel piston so and so 3,95 cm x 3,95cm for perfectly fit and slide inside the cylinder.
    1 --> Higly customized spring to obtain the correct spring resistance and the correct spring lenght for my 3dof specifications (structure weight and max vertical travel)
    **A lot of calculations..**
    1 --> Universal joint to join the central column with the platform structure

I watched your vids and seems your cylinder/piston works fine! what is the problem?
  6. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi again, here the first prototype of the cap box made for cover my motors!
    This cap should to reduce the loud noises of the motor!
    I am working to know exactly what materials to use for the external and internal of the sides of this cap box.

Nuova immagine bitmap2.jpg

I think I will to use bronze or thick steel for the external of the sides and some sound absorber material (like the one used in the walls of the music record studios) for the internal sides.

I hope that the 2 open areas of this box (one of these open areas is the zone in where the motor stirrup will slide and the second open area is where I will put a fan to freeze a bit the motor inside this cap box) can't ruin my plan to reduce the noises.. In fact the sound can flow to the external from these 2 open areas of the box..

What do you think about?
  7. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    I have a problem gambling between 3 and 5 cm at the tip of the simulator.

j'ai un probleme de jeu. entre 3 et 5 cm à la pointe du simulateur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glWN2iaCwDs&list
  8. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    thank you very much aldoz for your help in mp :)
  9. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    No problems mate, I am happy if I can help :)
  10. Racerr87

Racerr87 New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome motion sim you have build! :clap:

I really encourage your motivation of making a perfect sim thats suits you!

I have read the complete thread but what i can't find and if your willing to share,

What kind of winches are you using and what is the rotation speed?
    A link would be nice!

:cheers:
  11. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you Racerr87! The winches are normal portable winches 12v 25amps. Obviously you have to make a lot of modifications to use it as motion system motor..

Here a link from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-Ele...Parts_Accessories&hash=item231833183b&vxp=mtr

It's really hard to tell you the rotation speed. Basically the winch motor is slow but with the correct modifications and a long stirrup you can rise the speed for your motion..
    You need just a lot of time, motivation and sure, money... :eek:

:hi:
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Aldoz, I was watching the vids of your sim.
    Overall, you have done a remarkable job getting it to work. The JRKS and winch motors have proved themselves over and over. You may think the motion is a bit slow, but by golly, it looks like a real wild ride. You seem to have achieved a result comparable to 240v simulators. This is a project you have amazed us all.
    :clap: Dave.
  13. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    suite à tous mes problemes de colonne. j'ai oublié de te féliciter pour ton travail

after all my problems column. I forgot to congratulate you for your work. very good job :eek:k: :clapgirl:
  14. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you very much bsft and vulbas :)
    Your compliments are pure joy for me.
    I need just less than one week to know if my noise reduction system prototipe work good and IF it will work fine I will put the word FINISH to my project!!!.

I need to say that without the forum help (of all you!) never and never could be some decent result. And without Frakk and eaorobbie never I never started to try to build something.
    :)
    Classical equipe work! And I like it very much! :cheers: :thbup:
  15. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all again!
    Here finally the vid about Flight simulator X profile.

I add a joystick with a separated thrust and I mount it in a way that permit me to enter in the cockpit! (really hard to find how to mount the joystick and thrust..)

This version is a good mix between simulation and arcade.
    The effects are:
    1) vertical G force -only gronud- (to feel the bumpings on the runway!)
    2) Longitudinal accelleration -only ground- (to feel the airplane on ground accelleration and decell.)
    3) Bank effect (the arcade effect!)
    4) Vertical Speed (to feel a good up and down movement, to feel the air waves!)
    5) Vertical G force for wind (to feel the wind hits, no wind in this video).
    6) I deleted the pitch effect for this video cause I making a only arcade profile, in where pitch and bank effects will follow the position on the 3d space of the airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6OxB6Rzzkw&list
    (better to view it in full screen)

Next vid will be the total arcade version and will follow a total simulation version!

Bye for now! :hi:
  16. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider, Motion platform
    Greetings,
    VERY well done!! Congrats. :thbup:
    Request, I have a joyrider 2dof with 2 wheelchair motors, running flight sim 2004, could you take a few pics of your set-up on profile,... the values and percentages ? I just fried my Pololu high power motor driver 24v 20! I don't want to do that again. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff! :brows:
    jsmith2307
  17. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi Jsmith, pls give me your email in private and I will send to you my profile!
  18. jsmith2307

jsmith2307 Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Balance:
    324Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider, Motion platform
    :yippiee: Greetings,
    Check your PM! :clap:
    jsmith2307
  19. vulbas

vulbas Active Member

Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    very good job
  20. Lanian

Lanian New Member

Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Aldoz, can you help me build one like that?