1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My 3DOF project is born!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by AldoZ, Mar 20, 2011.

1. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How big is your exhaust hole? It should be bigger than the fan sweep area for efficient airflow.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True, not quite as big as the fan, forgot about that, will hack it tomorrow.
  3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully that will improve the cooling. These axial fans are not suited for installations with any back pressure.
  4. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi bsft ,tahustvedt, stowaway and all guys!
    bsft thx for the answer about amps, I think I will go to set my jrks from actual 22.5 to 25 amps. I have my jrks all with aluminium heatsinks and 2 fans on the top of my jrk box so, following your words, I feel comfortable about 25 amps.
    The exhaust hole is the the lateral space that make my box in 2 parts, should be enough for a good air ventilation.

Here the pics:
    03032012109.jpg
    03032012110.jpg
    03032012111.jpg
    08012012102.jpg
    08012012104.jpg

And today I get my new cylinder-piston-spring!!! 2 days of hard work of my team mate! and a big THX for him for having followed perfectly my project design! This object is really born from a lot of calculations and I am really really happy about!!!
    Price = 196 € for the custom spring and 20€ for the steel. My team mate made a lot of work for build it and lucky I have him because I would have built the same thing in at least one month.. :eek:
    I am really proud about this object because for the first time in my life I can feel what a lot of calculations and work can do.
    I hope that all this theory turn into big results :thbup:
    35 cm of maximum vertical travel available, all with no possibility of danger or mechanical stress and/or problems!

here the pics of the new cylinder-piston-spring!
    03032012107.jpg
    03032012106.jpg
    03032012108.jpg

I hope to remount all soon, I think next monday I will have all ready for the DAMN FEAR TEST!! :happy:
  5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That looks cool! Hope it works well for you.
  6. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks awesome! you have a square piston now?

have you put your motors in box's yet? just wondering if it helps with sound?
  7. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    @ tahustvedt:
    Thx mate I hope too.. I am a bit nervous waiting the test 'cause I done a lot of modification and a lot of thing have to work correctly... :gl:

@ stowaway:
    Thx to you too stowaway! yes I am using squared cylinder/piston but before was squared too. The main differences are about the travel, from 7cm of vertical travel with a lot of effort and mechanical stress to 35cm of travel with no mechanical or motor issue now! unfortunately I not again done the boxes in where I will put my winches.. there was a lot of most important work but If all will go fine so these boxes will be the next things to do!
    Today I have to put correctly the mechanical grease in the cylinder, this may sound simple but it is not 'cause the grease have to enter correctly in the 1mm space between the cylinder and piston sides, for all lenght of cylinder. FInally with this new cylinder/piston I also solved the old problem that made swung of 2 cm the platform as a yaw axis. Now the main structure is pretty stable and stopped.
  8. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    G'day Aldoz,

How high is your simulator? We've done alot of work on my cylinder today.. We just realised it is going to be bloody high to get into..

like 1m or 1.1m!!! (i hope i dont fall off)

I guess this is another problem with the gas structs.. To get 30cm up and down, the struct is 75cm high.. then ontop of the the base and the frame, and the uni joint, and then finally the car seat.. its going to be bloody high!

I may have to sacrafise some up down to reduce the size..

(Im hoping that I can program my microcontroller to put the simulator in Docking Mode and will be strong enough to pull the simulator down to the bottom (30cms down) without my weight on it)
  9. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello stowaway, unfortunately If we want all those vertical travel then we need to accept to have a tall platform!. My platform is so and so tall as your but when I push the ON button so the structure falls to half vertical travel then will be so and so 85cm. I am preparing something like a little ladder or some little handles to get inside! ;D

About the fact to get the structure down for all the 35 cm travel (minimum height position) without the pilot inside so.. is not the best for my 3dof too. All calculations are done considering the pilot weight too (I take a default 80kg weight) so probably I do as in the past so when I will push the ON button so the structure will go to middle position of the vertical travel. At that point the pilot will come on board (quite using the handles or the little ladder)

Stowaway, the height is not really a problem until this not mean DANGER or MECHANICAL STRESS. If your platform is safe and stable at these heights so the rest are just little details :)
    Remember that nobody have to risk their health for this hobby so please check correctly and many times if there are some risks or doubts, even little, please check and check again. Come onboard only if you are perfectly sure that nothing bad can happen to you. Make sure your cylinder/piston/spring system is sturdy and well anchored to the under dais! and please If you platform will tilt over 20° so be sure to use seat belts as well!
    :cheers:
  10. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks aldoz, it makes me feel better knowing your is just as high :)
  11. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all, after 2 weeks of hard work I finished to reassemble my 3dof.
    Unlucky today I have no more time to do some test but I am very happy to finish to remount all.
    Today I notice that with the X-SIM offline version I had to add three zero to all my profile values.
    If before the 26 effect was max 500 and min -400, so now is max 500000 and min -400000.
    When I loaded the my rFactor profile so the X-SIM telling me that now the matter is 16bit and no longer 8 bit.
    THen no problem, adding 3 zero to all my variables and I get the same old motion behaviour.

Here the vid of my 3dof, ready to action!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXsfToZg6g8&feature=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMZVsv2iCE&feature=youtu.be
    (sorry for the bad vid quality..) :??

You can notice the fans button on the jrk box! now I can turn on or off my 2 fans (1,70amps both fans!! :brows: ).
    The air flow seems good and 3 heatsinks protect my 3jrk too!.

You can see the greater height of the platform than the old version (now the seat is at 1,10 meter and when the platform is on so the height is 93cm).
    Now I have 35cm of pure vertical travel so was impossible to get a shorter platform. (I am using a 3 step ladder to get inside the platform).
    The last thing to do before the test is to use the gear components grease in the pot gears
    to avoid any problems regarding the friction between the drive shaft and the pot wheelr, considering the high speed to which this wheel will travel (600/600 motor cycle and 600/600 accelleration using 22.5 amps).

Then I hope tomorrow or in two days I will do this final version test! I am really anxious but everything should be fine if all the calculations was good! :?

here the pics (very bad quality :( ) :
    18032012112.jpg
    18032012113.jpg
    18032012114.jpg
    18032012115.jpg
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great job Aldoz! Well done.
    Ok. joke time about the height.

are you going to wear a parachute in case you fall out?
    how about trapeze nets around the sim to catch you.
    Are you using seat belts or gaffa tape to hold you in?
    good thing you do not suffer from vertigo.
    Did you have to raise the ceiling of the room to accommodate the extra height?
    does the air get thin up there, you may need oxygen tanks.
    Sorry, couldnt help myself. :rofl:
  13. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha, Mine is going to be a little bit higher actually.

thanks very much for the pictures aldoz :) looks great! cant wait to see some action vid
  14. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    hehe yea.. in fact now the platform it's a bit more impressive but all safety rules are respected and probably I will not need a parachute.. or just.. I hope.. :tape:
    The more height give, when I come inside, more adrenaline feeling and this is cool! I am sure when the motion will be enable I will feel a lot of fear.. heeheh :whistle:

Thanx mate, when you can please show your design too! I am curious!

I hope to post really soon some video and meanwhile crossing my fingers......... :toohot:
  15. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mines moving along very slowly. But ill post some pictures in my thread now..
  16. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all, today I made a lot of experiment.
    Finally I can feel the bumping of the bumpers and I feel a lot of brutal sensation.. just what should to be inside a racing car!

I set my jrk config utility with all the advices I got from other thread (the thread about the connection lost of jrk).

Here the vids of this evening:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDwUA422YA&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9aXRqBUTA&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D68g9IkWOss&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=1&feature=plcp
    The quality vid is bad but you can notice from 1:43 (in the onboard vid) that I am too fast and I go out of track.. directly on the dirt.. what a SHAKE!! and when I back to the track I get another beauty shake for the difference of height between the dirty ground and the track !!! :brows:

And here the vids from this morning (with less inclinations and speed):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw2qIH7KF3c&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=5&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnY4-6AAjDA&list=UU0K6KF9MrmigNbWyWlqrv7g&index=4&feature=plcp

The feeling is great dudes! and the vertical little bump and big bump effects are great now!

Today I get many times the connection lost problem and I made a lot of jrk config modifications and I am near the conviction that the problem born when the motor are really suffering and when the accelleration produce a too big amps peak.

I am pretty sure that I will to use the relay system for my platform and I am really sure that all of these problems will disappear since the jrk will go to NOT handle the current anymore!. Will be the relays that will manage the current! (with full motor power!).

Later I will update my test results about the conncetion lost!.
    ;D
  17. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Congratulations! :clap: , your simulator has good movement on the sides and also from front to back, which I'm building is not much movement which is very low, but yours has good moves :thbup:
  18. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,506Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    O!M!G! This is awesome! What a great job you’ve done here! Big congratulations to you! :clap:
    I guess stepping into the seat is already an adventure on its own ;P
    Fantastic! Your patience and passion pays out now!

PS: I've seen your already connected to the jrk forum. Have you tested the capacitor tip of David?
  19. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you! and think about I am not using full lateral, longitudinal and vertical travels! Today I was too afraid to test the full range movements.. I have again a 25% of max travel still to be used! but today no one single mechanical or safety problems so I think next days I will try to use the full travel!... :eek:

Thank you mate!! :blush:
    Yes I was on jrk forum and there is a really good dude trying to help me but I think I will to use the relays method! I am sure will be the final solution to any connection lost problems!!
    Now I add the link to jrk forum thread to jrk12v12 too often connection lost! thread here in x-sim forum.
    I am sure many peoples can find this very useful! :yes:
  20. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    holly crap that is ALOT of movement.

does the movement make it hard to concentrate on the game? because you are really been thrown around.

Is it possible its too much movement? Or is it a case of the more movement the better? (hard to judge as im just a spectator currently)