1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Steering Wheels

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by stowaway, Mar 19, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking at getting a steering wheel, gears and pedals.

Are the PS3, XBox360 ones compatiable with PC?

Does everybody have Force Feedback? Whats important with it? Should I buy pedals with a clutch or is rarely used?

Im on a huge budget, thought I could get one off a friend but its no good.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    xbox360 wheels are usually not compatible with pc unless you can find an adapter.
    The popular choice would be the logitech range, from the simple driving force gt, and the flash G27. They use usb cable and drivers for pc are easily downloadable.
    I have heard that fanatec wheels are also pc compatible.
    If you have a huge budget, do a search, you may find something expensive enough for you.

I use a driving force gt, 900 deg ffb wheel, sequential shifter on wheel mount and brake-accelerator pedals, nothing flash, but the ffb wheel is good. IT cost me $115 and does the job.
    The G27 is a similar wheel, with paddle shifters on wheel, 6 speed h pattern shifter and brake, clutch and accelerator pedals.
    Driving force GT $115-$189 depending on where you look
    G27 Logitech $299 to $499 depending on where you look.
    Fanantec wheels - do a search.
  3. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for your help.

I was looking at G27..

when I said huge budget I meant tight budget. (not sure if it come accross the other way...)
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for that, I have beeen looking, but im *trying* to go second hand under $100.. but I will probably end up going new.

Is the Clutch necessary? Do you find many games that use it?
  6. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Fanatec wheels are the only ones that work with all 3 formats (PC/PS3/Xbox360) as far as I know. I have a CSR and clubsport pedals and they're awesome.
    Clutch is definately worth having if you're playing PC racers. On Xbox and PS3 only really Forza, GT5 and Shift 2 use a clutch that I know of.
    I couldn't be without a clutch myself..
  7. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Thrustmaster T500 RS wheel and pedals is an awesome setup, but the external screws on the wheel were falling out in the beginning, so I'm a little worried about how well it's assembled on the inside. The way the wheel is connected to the shaft is also a little flimsy feeling. Other than that it's great. Pedals are great too. It works with both PS3 and PC.

Force feedback is a must for me. It's just that much more fun with FF.

My previous wheel was a Logitech Formula Force (anno 1999) which still works like new despite hundreds of hours of use. Before that I had a simple thrustmaster setup (1997-1999)
  8. maexx

maexx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome forum guys!
    My favorite choice would be the Thrustmaster T500RS. We want to build it into a real car! ;-)
    Question:
    Does the x-sim Software fully support this wheel? Or is the G27 realy the best buy ? Want to disasemble the wheel and use the wheel buttons to connect them with switches in the car!

Regards, markus / austria
  9. abs

abs Active Member Gold Contributor

consultant
    Balance:
    784Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    it depends. I use clutch in gtr2, lfs even rbr

even in games of f1 there is a clutch (no codemasters). in f1 you can live without it . it is for getting out of sand etc...

if you intend to do f1 or automatic or sequential shifting clutch is not necessary.
    if you intend to learn heel to shifting that s a must

personnaly i need that clutch . I am thinking of getting also a clutch on my f1 wheel (frex base paddles on g25 wheel for games such as lfs , rfactor2 (not tried yet))

thrusmaster 500 rs is a must if you want something nice under 500 $ look under internet. it comes with pedals (never tried but FFB is v good and it s drive belt driven -no gear - smooth then)

fanatec is nice also for same reasons (csr elite 500 $very nice wheel but without pedals)

g27 g25 are very good wheel but under these 2 above and have the inconvenient that you feel the grinding of the bearing with your hand- noticeable after years of driving .....but not really bothering (slight bother)

Now if you start in simracing and not sure if you d like it buy a very cheap second hand with FFB. to my opinionFFB is necessay (clutch is to your liking)

hope it helps

also fanatec wheels (to my knowledge) can work in sinc with x-sim through a plugin . ask people in this forum about this . i beleive the advantage is obvious . the FFB is more in sinc with motion and you have controle on it fully. other wheels sur g27 will work just fine .