1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Combining Joyrider and simforce GT for best of both worlds?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ghetto, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ghetto

ghetto New Member

Balance:
    - 11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All, This is my first post and I am glad I found this forum.. I have been putting a simulator together mainly for the purpose of Helicopter siming over the past few months.. So far I have assembled cadet flight controls (fancy joystick, collective and pedals) high powered computer, obuto gaming seat, full surround sound , buttkicker and 3 x 3d optima gt750 projectors in nvidia 3d surround giving me a screen 3600cm by 720cm its cool but its missing movement.. I had looked at dbox and other solutions but thats a minimum spend of $10k and for a hobby I just cant justify the cost..
    I stumbled across a company called simxperience which seems to have a more sensible price for the stage 1 kit and then I found this website and it seems there are more options than first thought. From what I have read on this forum it seems to me the choice is between going the simforce route for accurate small movements and the Joyrider for more plane like larger movements with less accuracy..
    Im thinking why not combine the two a joyrider style frame for the slow banking turns and flying characteristics and simxperince style seat mover for turbulence and ground effects..
    Before digging too deep into this,
    1, first thing would be the software could, x-sim handle control of the 4 actuators needed for this kind of project? Would it be hard to configure the software to operate in this way as I am no programmer..
    2, Hardware, the simxperience kit is around $2k but is this the best option when comparing the price of putting my own kit together, I dont have loads of time to spend building but if the savings are dramatic I would make the time :)
    3, Similar question for the joyrider frame, I have emailed dreamflyer to see if they offer a basic frame kit that might work out more cost effective than trying to source a local engineering firm to bend and weld a tubular frame to a similar design.

I will keep researching in the meantime but any pointers would be a great help. and hopefully I will post on how the build progresses..
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well where to start. The joyrider quite easy to replicate from steel i use 25 square hollow section for main gimble and then progressed to 35mm for outer and base, no curves at all so no bending. All built for under 300 bucks but thats as true joyrider motion from stick control no other electrics or motors. An estimate to build thamos pully system would have to be near 250 for the pullys and motor. Electrics to run $200 for jrks if no time or build the amc and h bridge.
    Jrks might not be as good as a scn5 but dont think they will handle the forces involve in a joyrider design. So ya can says safely about a 800-1000 will build ya a decent joyrider for hobbie use adding in anything extra ya more controllers,frames and motors needed.
  3. ghetto

ghetto New Member

Balance:
    - 11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just came across a few more types of motion from ckas, and another based in the UK Joyride atomic http://joyridesimulators.com/uploads/At ... 20List.pdf the later seems cool.. The price is around $6k for the standalone platform which at first seems too expensive but by the time I have built a motorized joyrider approx $2k and added simxperience to the seat $2K will my project be any better? Maybe off the shelf would be a better solution.. The atomic seems to have larger range of motion achieved with the simxperience kit or could I be wrong?
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are flight simming, perhaps a frame with screen attached may be better as in flight your eyes usually follow the way you are going, while with race, your eyes usually stay on a fixed point on the horizon.
    A joyrider frame http://www.acesim.com/main.html would allow good movement on a 2DOF and you can fit a screen to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mzbrOhtx4A , you could speed up the motion though with big motors.

The joyrides simulators would be good for that cost and support many games, but do you have $6000 minimum to spend? If you have the money and are short of time, then yes, this may be an option.
    The simexperience kit is also good, but I believe better suited to a seat mover only application and may be better for racing as it give short sharp movement.
    Maybe have a dig through the motion sim projects section and look at what some of us have built, there may be a cheaper option for you.
    Anyway, have fun looking around and planning.
    Cheers.
  5. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ghetto,
    I too had that idea in mind as a future upgrade for my joyriderish sim( under construction).
    I would be quite simple to make a seat mover as an addon to the joyrider. I believe X sim can handle up to 6 axis (?), so it would be easy to impliment in the software. Having the monitors mounted on the Joyrider bit would not shake the do do's out out the monitors. Then the short jerky movements could be handled by the seat mover, minimising the harsh mechanical feadback to the monitors.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That could work, just a matter of building a frame within a frame to support a seat mover. Interesting idea. Although it would make motion a bit odd, having motion force at different speeds to each frame, but you could fix this with profile adjustment.
  7. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0