1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Bill of materials

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by eloverphx, Dec 26, 2011.

1. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    I'm curious if anyone that has built the controller hardware recently has the bill of materials that can be uploaded to digikey or to mouser with all the correct components. I started trying to get the parts ordered to build the h-bridge and the other boards needing to run the wiper motors. I see that there used to be a link but it is no longer there. Thanks in advance. If I get my. BOM done I will post it once I know it works and is correct.
  2. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    Well I went ahead and ordered the parts I found on the pages and pages of info on this site. I must agree with some of you that there is almost too much information scattered about the forum to get a solid answer about what parts will work the best to get you up and running.
    Anyways, I am on day three of creating my motion board and all is going well. Just waiting on a few more parts to come in from London. Hopefully I will get them today or tomorrow. I am running in to a question though as I assemble this. I bought both atmel chips and all the crystals that were listed. I read a post somewhere that I have to change a couple of capacitors out near the crystals depending on which speed of crystal I use. Is this true? What is a fail safe starting point? And which atmel chip should I start with? Does the firmware cover both chips? Thanks for everyone's help and wealth of info. I wish I would have found this site years ago.
  3. Hardsteel73

Hardsteel73 Hardsteel73

Self employed
    Balance:
    162Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    18 mhz with 22pf should be safe. Above with the 18pf gave me problems... only the 8535 chp needs programming, the one firmware file is enough. But use the right one for your crystal
  4. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    thanks for the reply. As far as both chips i was referring to the 8535 or the atmel644. Has anyone tried the 644 and had success?
  5. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Both Chips are working on my board, but they have different Firmware and fuses to set in Ponyprog ;) . And remenber to chose the right Chip ( for example Atmega644) in the upper right corner from the Ponyprog-Program ;).

Fuses to set in Ponyprog for ATMEGA644
    atmega644_ponyprog_fuses.jpg

Firmware ATMEGA644_PWM_AMC15_2DOF_V1_CRYSTAL22 MHz
    ATMEGA644_PWM_AMC15_2DOF_V1_CRYSTAL22.zip

Firmware ATMEGA644_PWM_AMC15_2DOF_V1_CRYSTAL24 MHz
    ATMEGA644_PWM_AMC15_2DOF_V1_CRYSTAL24.zip
  6. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    great help! Thank you. I have just about finished soldering my avr board and am getting ready to do my lcd, mount my ic's and program. I'm hoping to do all this weekend! Getting very excited to try it. I've been collection the parts for weeks now and to see it fall together is great.
    Now for my next questions.
    I see it the avr manual that you should use a 12v external psu supply for the backlight on the lcd. Is this necessary? esp at this point. Right now I just want to get it programmed and tested then start working on my h-bridge.
    Next, looking at all the jumpers on the v1.5b board what needs jumpers to get this started. I'm going to look a little longer tonight to see if I can find some information on all of them. Thanks again for the help and the input.
  7. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I´m using a universal PSU for my AVR Board and LCD who has a selectable range from 3,0 V - 12 V with 1000mA!. I choose 6V as Voltage for my AVR Board and LCD. Usually LCD Boards need 5 V.
    It looks like that: http://www.reichelt.de/Universalnetztei ... 5e819c3832

I plug in the LCD only, when i need them ;). At normal use, i disconnect my LCD from the AVR Board. ;)
  8. Hardsteel73

Hardsteel73 Hardsteel73

Self employed
    Balance:
    162Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    You dont need the extra 12 volts to see what is going on, on the lcd. As for the jumpers, just look at the program video, you can see all jumpers
  9. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    Well got everything connected and plugged it in and all looked good. None of that magic smoke came out so that's a great start. Then I went to program it and am getting what a lot of other people are getting. I'm getting the device missing. It looks like I got one of those bum usb-serial cables. I thought the Belkin would be a good one but alas I was wrong. I'm pretty sure it is not the FTDI chip in it. So I'm hopeful that getting the other usb cable in the next few days will turn my luck back around.
  10. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    Well finally got my Digitus usb to serial converter and tested it out using my windoze 7 64 bit computer and SUCCESS!!!! Now just have to make an adjustment on my LCD screen as the contrast is too bright and is washing away everything. I should have a pot laying around somewhere other wise your getting a resistor to settle that craziness down!!
    Next start working on my H-bridge and order the correct Mosfet's..
  11. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    added a 1k ohm resister from pin one and pin 3 of the lcd and cut the trace on the board to get rid of the straight connection to ground and I now can read the lcd perfectly!