1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japdos

japdos New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is possible to connect two o more scn5 actuators to an only rs485<->usb converter?
    The adaptor schemes show it should be able to manage up to 32 devices.
    I think poeple are buying as many adapters as scn5 actuators have.
    Which is the best setup?
  2. japdos

japdos New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, it make sense.
  3. SimSim

SimSim New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies. I am not sure though how the push/push method makes any difference to the push/push method, as in both cases, they are still rigidly linked. There would never be 1-2mm of mechanical slop, and if there was, it would be due to wear, and would cause big issues with inaccuracy and rattling.

I thought about the linked system a bit more, and in principle I think it has some merit. The main reservation I have is when one of the actuators gets moving before the second one, it's effectively doing 100% of the pushing by itself, until the other one catches up... which means it has half the acceleration. Once they are both up and running, the second unit would still be receiving it's position say 10ms behind the other one, so they're never going to be in sync.

Perhaps I just need hardware sync or look for some bigger actuators...
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    There is no scenario in which you will double the capability of as SCN5 by adding a second SCN5 either yoked or opposing.

However, the reason why it often works is because in these forums you will typcially see far more than 1-2mm of slop in the typical DIY sim and also because the SCN5 has a different push force than pull force resulting in some improvement because at least one actuator is always at is strongest.

Your load requirement is not defined so no one can help you to determine if a stronger actuator is best.
  5. logispeed

logispeed New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Guten Abend!!! Ich brauche eure hilfe!
    Wenn z.B. also mit zwei aktuatoren SCN5 den Devantech USB-RS485 adaptor benutzen werde, brauche ich zwei davon oder eine?
    Auf dem bild ist nur eine zu sehen und wie sieht es aus mit dem USB A to Serial RS232 DB9 UART RS485 Adapter Converter.

was ist besser

Nr1.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-A-to-Serial-RS23 ... 35b345e10c
    Nr2.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-to-RS485-FTDI-in ... 4154929457
    Nr3.
    http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/ ... 5_tech.htm

Vielen Dank im Voraus !
  6. michael haertsch

michael haertsch Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 206Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Könnte man mit je zwei SCN6
    eine zb 3dof Full Motion Plattform aufbauen?
    Ist halt dann etwas träge mit bloss 100 Positionangaben per sec.
    Aber wenn ich die gar nicht synchonisiert laufen lasse, sondern einfach
    beide ans selbe RS485 Signal kabel?
    Würden dann die 200 Positions/sec nicht bestehen bleiben?

Und reicht die Kraft,wenn man ca 60kg wiegt und das Display als Helm trägt.
    Denn Sony bringt bald so ein 3D Display Helm raus,
    damit wäre eine enorme Gewicht ersparnis für eine Full Motion Plattform drin.
    Dazu kommt, dass man so die Umgebung nicht mehr wahrnimmt.
    Das Gehirn kann dann die Bewegungen nur noch den wahrgenommenen Beschleunigungen zuordnen.
    Das verlangt aber, dass die Software genau arbeitet,
    denn stimmen die Bewegungen nicht mit dem wahrgenommen überein,
    würde einem so Übel bis zum Erbrechen.
  7. tigsim

tigsim New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    i am trying to connect SCN5 with a USB-Rs485 converter.
    my converter is something like
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-to-rs-485-adapter-8504
    http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/product ... normal_img

Same cable and connection only the brand different.
    I see com11 in the list after connecting the converter. But can't see SCN5 with startHWrescan in forceprofiler.

USB-Rs485 Converter has 6 connection
    1) T-/A 2) T+/B 3) R+ 4) R- 5)GND 6) +9V

i connected scn5
    green cable to --> B (also tried other way)
    White cable to --> A
    Black -->gnd
    Then i tried connecting T-/R+ and T+/R+ with cross cable and also tried adding 120ohm resistor. And with all the communication speeds nothing changed.

What should i do?
  8. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    you must have a com under 10. in windows you must change the number to a number
    between com1 and com9
  9. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: SCN5 actuator whirring, no movement?

Hello,

My SCN5 actuators were just connecting vias the Commander 2 sofware and one of them just started whirring, and the actuator rod is now free to move up and down with no tension while the actuators are plugged in. The rod has therefore become disconnected somehow? Can anyone help?

I look forward to any replies.

Cheers

Langster
  10. Henning Piez

Henning Piez Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    AW: SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Sounds like the drive pin between motor and linear drive is broken. It's a mechanical failure that can be fixed. Had it on both SCN5.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk
  11. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    or you have a problem with the 24 volt without power on the scn5 you can move it up and down with your hands.
  12. skae87

skae87 New Member

Balance:
    - 40Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Re: AW: SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

hi!
    i have the same problem like you since yesterday.
    did you solve it? in that case, was it easy?
    i might send the actuator back to the manufacturer (in my case, simxperience) in order to be reparied but i am afraid the shiping costs are gonna be too much...
  13. av8tr

av8tr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Just started building the PVC sim chasis. I am an electronics tech and would like to build a motion sim.
    I understand the majority of the electronics but do not fully understand the motor/actuator firmware.
    Are the firmware pages you are showing above part of a program you've purchased or some open source
    firmware. Any help would be appreciated , I've seen some sims use motors as well.

Thanx, Jurgen
  14. av8tr

av8tr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Can you post a pix of how to connect the USB to 485 connection option to the motor ?
    I am building my own adapter using your schematic, but not sure how to connect this to the motors. I saw the diagram above for the RS232-485 connection but nothing for the USB.

Thanx, Jurgen
  15. djmerritt

djmerritt New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    removed >>>>>> found answer !!
  16. djmerritt

djmerritt New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok i have read all the pages of the scn5/6 software and the 49 pages hardware and followed many dif setups and still cannot get the profiler to detect my scn6 . I might add that when o connect to my old pc winxp direct serial it does detect and center but on my vista or win7 i cannot detect can anyone help as i am sure it is just windows settings i am overlooking
    note >>> I have tried the 120ohm resistor and grounding to the computer and th rts / dts settings have been trying for 4 days with information on this forum

I want to add that this is the USB to 232 i am using http://www.ebay.com/itm/150525882505?ss ... 1438.l2649

also here is the 232 to 485 i am using

Attached Files:

17. leandro37

leandro37 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  18. djmerritt

djmerritt New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MOVED TO SOFTWARE THREAD<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am sorry if i have this posted in wrong area , i am trying to detect scn-6 and this is where i have found the most information . here is some of the shots you asked for . i do not have a comport monitor i will go online and try to find one . I know it was back in 2008 that it say's you must copy the scn5 serial into the profiler plugin section ,is this still the case ? in the first pic you will see there is nothing detected . i have tried to get this to work to move on to more settings .

I cannot take pics of wiring at this time no cam, but here is the pin out and i have wired with the 120 ohm resitor and without also with the z diode and 2.2 k resistor . no ilk switch wired at this time just testing but will add when all test done just received the switches in mail about ten min ago .

I am looking for something like hyperterminal as windows vista does not have it . i downloaded 232 anylizer but not sure its what i need to run test on my converters .

I must say i am sorry if you dont believe i have read and read and studied the forums and manual . i may not be the smartist but i am trying to get what i can without bother to others .

Thanks for your devoted time .
  19. djmerritt

djmerritt New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you i will move this to the software thread . realquik
  20. bzdadwith5

bzdadwith5 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am having problems with my Hexin converter , Yesterday all was working fine and moving my scn6 actuator but today when using it the force profiler came up and said warning an interface was unplugged and then it would no longer detect the scn6's i checked all wires and looked good changed to a new converter and it worked just long enough to detect the actuators and again sent same message, warning an interface was unplugged, and would no longer detect any actuator. this has happened with 3 converters.
    ANY HELP APPRECIATED !!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.