1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

An exciting alternative to multiple (expensive) monitors

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by PDAisAok, Sep 22, 2011.

1. PDAisAok

PDAisAok New Member

Chemical Engineering field
    Balance:
    300Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So after watching updates from IFA 2011, the one piece of new hardware coming out this year that excited me more than anything was Sony's HMZ-T1 Head Mounted 3D ready display.

[​IMG]

I can still remember as a child playing on of those old Virtuality VR games as a kid and in college I actually bought one for an arcade route I was running.

[​IMG]

The big downside of these HMDs (head-mounted displays) was the very low resolution of the screens inside. They also had head tracking but it wasn't very responsive and the hardware obviously had a long way to go.

Fast forward to today. This headset has 2 OLED screens running at 1280x720 resolution. They simulate a 750 screen at 20m away. The headset also has virtual 5.1 channel surround sound. I'm sure most of you are aware that a display with faster response time will generally have less smearing in a moving picture. A good gaming monitor for example will usually boast a 2ms response time. Pretty impressive. The OLED displays in this HMD have a response time of 0.01ms. :eek: And to top off the great picture quality, it also does stereoscopic 3D. This would be the perfect display for a Driving/Flying simulator. But one thing is still missing, the head tracking

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/
    [​IMG]
    This head tracking accessory boasts 6DOF tracking at 120fps sample rate. I have one and used it on some racing sims and flight sims. It works great but turning your head isnt ideal when you still have to keep your eyes looking straight at the screen. But attach this to one of Sony's new HMDs that come out in November and you sir have yourself one kickass VR setup. So let's talk about cost

Sony's HMZ-T1 $799 US
    Track IR 5 $149 US (can be found for cheaper on eBay)

Total Cost $948

This would be all you would need for display and sound. I have been planning on building a motion simulator for awhile now and originally was going to wait for some LCDs with super thin bezel to come down in price, but to have a full VR setup with 3D and full head tracking to me sounds like a much better experience. What do you guys think?
  2. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This sounds very cool. I'd be eager to see it in action :)
  3. Dinkster

Dinkster New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    trade that track ir for a kinect sensor to add full body tracking... now that would be a kick ass vr setup...
  4. PDAisAok

PDAisAok New Member

Chemical Engineering field
    Balance:
    300Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. karter34

karter34 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this could really be the way forward .
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Resolution is awesome, but 45deg FOV isnt that immersive still.

Still waiting for flexible foil displays to attach to a racing helmet, covering full FOV....

Regards
  7. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This one was my big hope until i`ve seen whole details. Resolution and FOV drops me down. Great improvement tho - compare to last one which i`ve seen. It wont replace surround display system or big screen projection in case of 3D immersion but i still think that this one big step forward in upcomming Virtual Reality (it means Sony is into it so they will make it all run faster).