1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF fine tuning

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by frviana, Jul 11, 2011.

1. frviana

frviana New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, finally I finished the frame, connected everything after the test, profile is good, movements are on the right direction, pots are finally connected to the motor and holding in place but I found a new challenge and I need help.

The wiper motors are moving the whole cock-pit (seats, wheel and pedals) but when it moves the motor most of the time passes the stop point and has to go back creating a lot of shake on the whole thing. I was wondering if I can configure some margin so the motor doesn't have to go back and stays wherever it stopped.

The whole thing is shaking way too much, I know its a lot of weight but the motor seems to be strong enough to move the whole thing.

Any tips?
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please refresh my memory, what control board(s) are you running?
    Did you make your own motion profile setting or use the maximum adjustment?
    What game are you testing on?
    :cheers:
  3. frviana

frviana New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using k8055 + sabertooth
    I created my own profile and use limits of 100000 to -100000
    Testing with rFactor
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    OK sound like a pid issue with motor its over shooting its final position.
    Havent look at a sabertooth yet but theres a few posted here, mainly french from memory.
    I would increase the d in the pid values to give ya a better motor break but without playing with a sabertooth which is next on my list to try and concore, im just going off what i did with the k8055 and pololu motor driver.
    Plus another one ya could try is axis movement in the synaptrix. change to move and stop or move and hold plus by increasing the slider will make a difference too.
    Cross ya fingers that one of the frenches spot this topic and gives ya the exact answer.
  5. frviana

frviana New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot for the tips. I will try them on the weekend and will post back the results. Another detail I didn't share is that the motors are powered by a small 300 watts power supply and there maybe not enough amps to stop where it needs to stop (just a thought). I will try to hook it up to a spare marine battery I have in here to see.
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    300watt should yield betwween 20 to 25 amps, depending on sabertooth used will depend if its too small, basicly you could run two motor fully loaded at 10 - 12 amps each but if one motor goes to draw its peak, like the jrk is 12amps continuous but can peak to 30amps, the motor may slow for a split second, but setting the right profile up can stop it happening. I would test with power supply, but recommend putting the battery in parallel with the power supply so when the sabertooth goes to draw its peak current the battery can supply the extra amps needed. Just a suggestion others have use plus sabertooth recommends this themselves