1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My 3DOF project is born!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by AldoZ, Mar 20, 2011.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    There is too much rotation in your construction. You should add an anti-rotation joint.

However, nice job so far.

regards
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can always use Deep cycle (marine type batteries) that look like car batteries but can survive almost completely discharge! This type I still use on my sim since 2007! :mug1:
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic! In sim mounted camera!
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Remember to compare battery prices with psu prices. One may be cheaper than the other. Two psu cost me $80, two decent batteries would have cost me $80 each! The psu were a better option here, and no recharging! Just an opinion. :)
  5. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why not one big battery for all tree motors then? Only one battery to charge after all ;-)
  6. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    @egoexpress: Hi, you probably speak about the yaw oscillation.. yes, and unfortunately there is not easy solutions! :\ The problem originally from the car damper. The upper part of the spring is a bit free and permit so and so 3cm of yaw oscillation. I weld the universal joint in this free part and then I obtained this little but sure not too good oscillation. I should make some mechanical changes for obtain a really static platform. I will take advantage of it and I will make this work when I have to change the brackets with more lenght brackets (I think some days). :thbup:

@tronicgr: Hi, I was thinking about the use of one big battery but at the moment I am out of budget and I must to continue to use these batteries. Sure one battery in place of 3 will be a good semplification and optimization. The marine batteries are sure more friendly about recharging but I am not sure about the hint ampere. If I remember good these batteries have a little hint ampere than the car battery (I think). So I am not a battery expert so I don't know exactly if this could be a bad problem thinking at the work of the motor in my 3dof!

@bsft:
    Yeah I am searching on the web for some good psu but as I write to tronicgr I am out of the budget.... :blush: But when I will have again some euro in my pockets I think this will be my first buy!
  7. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all.
    Today many other tests and at now I can draft some final conclusions about my 3DOF.

In first I would to tell to you that today I used my 3dof with the rear motor alimentated by a PSU (as bsft advised).
    This:
    http://www.liberotech.net/index.php?mai ... ts_id=4100

Providing from 220v a 12v 20A max. enough to move without problems the rear motor!

So back to the aquired points after these days tests:
    1) with a temperature so and so 27/28 centigrades I can use the system without heat problems. I had mounted 3 heatsink (using thermal paste too)for my 3jrk without the fans.

2) After 10 / 15 minutes the Clutch knobs (narrow well before the use) of the 3 motors get loosen. This involves that with the flow of the time, using the platform, the risks about a loose of mechanical coordination between the motor gear and the pot grows very much... this can lead to a disaster... (As already happen to me with a leg bracket touching and ripping off the iron minus and plus motor bolts.). So I need to discover a way to block these knobs. If these knobs will blocked so will be extremly difficulty to get the out of pot range movement!.

3) The batteries can be replaced with some cheap (31 euro each) psu without the problems related to the recharging of a battery (not easy as seems). 20A are enough to provide all the amperes for a jrk with 600 duty cycle and 600 accelleration (at least for the rear engine behaviour).

4) At the max duty cycle and accelleration I get a very good speed movement but I can't reach the super fast up and down like in the force dynamics (yeah a bit price difference between a winch and a force dynamic motor...), the vibrations and little and fast bumps are just mentioned (however you can feel it!) comparing the hard and fast bump in a platform like force dynamics.

5)the structure is really solid and the spring permit to lift over 150 kg in the seat without mechanical problems.

Here the vids of today enjoy the onboard cam in many tracks ! :thbup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcjO7u6g8lE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBRcFrATNak&feature=youtube_gdata
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In first I would to tell to you that today I used my 3dof with the rear motor alimentated by a PSU (as bsft advised).
    This:
    http://www.liberotech.net/index.php?mai ... ts_id=4100

Pardon? What do you mean? Did you blow up your motor? Or did the psu work successfully?
  9. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for my poor english.. :blush: I mean that the PSU (power switching) works very well! :thbup:
  10. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all guys!
    I don't write here from before the summer. In September and October many tests done, many optimization about mechanical and simulator profile.Here you can see the last version of mine 3dof system.
    I am very happy about reliability of my platform, finally I can use it for many times without particular problems.
    The main issue about last tests was the vertical performance of the system. Finally I can obtain (after a looong battle) little bumbings (like force-dynamics!) without great hardware, just the same boat winches.
    This will be not the final version of my 3dof system but sure the way it's the correct one to follow! :happy:

I am studing some way to increase the speed of inclination but since now the result is very good! Sure I am really near of the total limits of my winches. I am looking for a way to add some inclination speed (adding some components to the winches and making some iron modific.)

So, this is the last version since now:
    Over 20 degrees of inclination and tilt
    Over 15 cm of vertical movement
    A lot of little bumps to simulate the track with all roughness of the track!
    Right movement limits to avoid over movement of the legs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8fqX8r3smQ&feature=youtube_gdata

:rofl:
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats some BIG motion there. Well done, the jrk's and winch motors have excelled again!
  12. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Yea bsft, the little Jrk and the little winches are pretty good friends! and what power! :)
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Aldoz, I will be going down the winch motor - jrk path next year, as I plan to build two frex units 2 dof for hire out.
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heres what I did with a power supply setup, one x cheap 500watt pc psu re-wired to 12v only and one x 330 cca $30 second hand battery in parallel. (thanks for the tip eaorobbie!)
    http://img258.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... 2_28lo.jpg
    it runs both jrk's and wiper motors , 3 fans ( 1 each motor to keep them cool and one on the board box to keep the jrk's cool).
  15. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi bsft, your power system it's pretty cool. I followed the not batteries way.
    Now my system have 3 220v to 12v converter for each motor.
  16. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all dudes!
    Today I am very happy about the first in game test of my motion system with the new mechanical/electrical configuration!.
    Really many many work dude... but the result is really far over from what I supposing.
    I set my Max current to 22.5 as bsft says here and I add 5cm to the stirrup (that connects the wheel of the winch to the leg of the platform)

The result is : more speed, more power and sure more show! :thbup:

Please, don't consider the realism of forces when you watch the vid (just first test not born for realism), take your look just for the extreme performances that winches and Jrks can give.

This is just the first try, I need to do some little mechanical corrections and remount the cabin!.

Soon other vids! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeyQC2lWc-Q&feature=youtube_gdata
  17. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Thats awesome aldoz you have created a monster. I cant wait to see it with a softened profile however at the current setting it looks like you will need a neck brace soon lol. Next video can you crank up the game volume so we can hear better the engine acceleration and braking to movement.
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aldoz does it again! Thats great movement, better than the crappy ckas system by far. Good to see the max current upgrade helped, I take it you harshened up the profile to match. And I hope you have heatsinks and fans cooling those jrk boards.

mmmmm....time for me to go back to the drawing board and start construction of a winch motor sim I think.
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Softened profiles? What the heck for? To save injuries I guess :lol:
  20. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    @BartS :
    Hi mate, I am working to a realistic profile for a subaru and to put the belts too.. now start to be necessary! About the neck brace lol.. sure with the profile shown in the video could be necessary.. :rofl:
    Yesterday I dramatically forgot to increase the volume :? . Sure the machine since now is noisy and I am working to put a shielding for each motors to reduce the mechanical loud sound!

@bsft:
    Thank you bsft! Now the power I was searching from the start of my project is reached! a lot of damn, ugly and hard work but the force objective is here now! :brows:

Sorry dude, I don't understand what you mean! about the fan, isn't present yet but I am preparing a box like yours where to put the heatsinked jrks + a big fan!