1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. monast

monast New Member

Mechanical Engineer Consultant Industrial Automati
    Balance:
    359Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    dear colleagues,

I was disconnected from this fantastic forum but here again,
    What should I change components of Thanos DSMHB to power engines 24V and 8 A,
    I managed spindle motor that looks interesting
    It would be great to run these engines with AVR
    Best Regards
    Monast
  2. teuh

teuh New Member

Fire-alarm and Security-alarm Journeyman
    Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What's new since Marsh about the new AMC board ?
    Alpha version on the road ?
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have some boards in my hands. I had to resolve some stupid design error (nothing you cant fix with a wire jumper).

I hope to be able to present some progress soon, in a new thread about this new controller.

PS. All the stress from the economic crisis here, affects not only my pocket but my mind also!
    I'm trying to get my life back in working order since I got really broke the last months. Everything is so expensive here in Greece now and I seriously thinking to immigrate to US... Any job offers???
  4. fireslayer26

fireslayer26 New Member

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the update Tronic. If I had the money, I'd have you come to the US and we would start a motion simulator hardware company!

And yes, please start a new thread about your new board!
  5. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys!! :hi: I'm wanting to start buying components for my sim but I have a few questions. Will this controller run wheelchair motors? I have 2 wheelchair motors on the way that I bought off of ebay. Im guessing they are between 30 and 40 amps and draw over 150 volts I think. These numbers are just guesses from other motors that I was able to find specs on that were very similar. If this controller will work will I have to modify it in any way? Thanks Guys.

These are the motors. The auction said they were Merits/Dalton Power Chair Wheelchair Motors. The guy also said they are up to 40 amps and 24 Volts DC.

Attached Files:

6. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so far I have read page 1-50 of this thread. If I understood correctly this controller will support up to 40amps if I bridge it or something? So to run two 30amp motor like I have posted above reliably I will need two controllers? I think that is correct please let me know if I am misunderstanding. I really need to use these stronger motors since I will be mounting 3 screens to my sim.

I also have 1 more question. Are the schematics and info in the first couple posts updated to the latest findings and newest models of the controller or do I have to go through the whole post to find all of the latest info so that I don't build something outdated or with errors?

I have posted in a lot of different threads with all similar questions so I hope that doesn't bother anyone. I am just trying to stay moving on this project and am looking for help and answers. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

7. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im ordering parts does anyone know if you need a specific max232 chip there are slightly different ones but they are all max232? also what about the crystals like the 24mhz crystal there are pf ratings like 18, 12, 30. Which one should I use? Or does it not matter?
  8. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Hey Houdiniact,

Just get an FTDI chipped max232 I think thats the only one guaranteed to work also make sure its 5v not 3.3v.
    I got a one from silabs and it was no good sto stick with FTDI.
  9. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks BartS I will look for that chip. Now I just gotta figure out the crystal....
  10. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
  11. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey BartS thanks for your help could you give me a link to the chip you bought? If its a decent price I will just order from there. Also if you could link to the crystal you bought that would be cool to.

Edit- I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/SP232ACP-L-SIPEX-TR ... 1c09509976
  12. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Houdiniact this is the cable I bought in the UK http://www.avitresearch.co.uk/usb2ttl_ftdi.htm it might not be the correct cable ends for Tronics AMC, I havnt used it for that its worth checking with someone whos built an AMC.

And sorry I dont know about the crystal
  13. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I asked my father he said the crystal shouldnt really matter. Plus they are so cheap to just get different kinds and we can find the ones that work. :)
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Crystal does matter.... Its used for correct serial communications at 115kbps. Not all crystals can get 0% errors on serial communications, one of them is the 22.1184Mhz crystal (more in the manual !!!!)
  15. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response. I realize I wasn't very clear. He didn't mean the specific mhz wasnt important just the brand and some of the other specs associated with a given crystal were not as important but. Thank you guys for all the support. :cheers:
  16. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ordered 24mhz 18PF and 24mhz 30PF. Which one should I use? Or does the PF rating not matter? Thats what iv'e been asking
  17. definal

definal 2DOF Platform

Balance:
    - 363Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Dear all,

before thank to Thanos.
    i have finished my first assembled AMC1.5 using 24 MHz crystal but still have problems
    could someone to help me. when i connected to hyperterminal to setup there are bad character and also can not connected to x-sim
    hyperterminal error.jpg
    i am using windows 7

thank you very much for your help

regard
    definal
  18. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Try using slower crystal (eg. 18MHz), and tell us are you using physical COM port or USB2Serial adapter.
    In order to communicate at 115200, many things need to be considered, try reading earlier posts, you'll find the solutions for some issues other encountered.
    BR
  19. definal

definal 2DOF Platform

Balance:
    - 363Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Dear BR,

thank you very much for your response.
    I have tried to replace with new 18.432 MHz and 22.1184 MHz crystals but my AMC could not be programmed error 24 and replaced again with 24 MHz and it's OK. i was using internal card high speed PCI serial port and have speed maximum to 128000 bps.
    PCI serial.jpg

thank you
  20. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    First to tell you that my name is Igor, and BR = Best Regards :yippiee:

Why don't you use COM1?
    I really don't know what is High-Speed ... port (never seen that before).
    Please read earlier posts or use SEARCH for error 24, I'm sure someone had that problem.

EDIT: Are you getting Device Missing Error -24? If yes, try changing your Atmega IC. Check this topic - http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/amc...own-device-24-t1390.html?hilit=device missing

@ All community !
    Here is my try to make AMC+DSMHb manual. You can download and change it to you liking (MS Word doc). It was meant to be published by admins, but that idea haven't seen the light of the day :no: , so here it is:

http://www.wuala.com/fermevc/Photos/PUBLIC/